Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,982,996 times

Advertisements

Please help my wife and I narrow the list of potential breeds we'd be interested in.

My wife would like a dog that is

- around 15 lbs. or less

- primarily indoors

- easily trainable

- lazy at times and up for bursts of play time

- fine left alone during working hours

We found this guy, but think he might be a little too wound up for us. I've always heard Jack Russell Terriers are super hyper, but he seemed pretty mellow. Maybe that's just because of his current environment?

We would like to adopt one.

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/TN03/TN03.9394709-3-pnt.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
I have had two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and can't say enough about them.

They are calm and good natured and easy to train. They are nothing like the temperment of a Jack Russel.

The two I have had enjoyed being with cats and people, also adapted easily to me bringing home a baby as well. The two I had were not much on going for a walk for no point. I like to take a walk around the neighborhood, they were NOT keen. They would walk down to the mailbox and sit and watch me as I started to walk down the road.

They bark but not pointlessly. The only time they said a word to the cats was when they sniffed their milk bones, otherwise they snuggled with them and slept curled in a heap.

They also enjoyed sleeping with me in the bed.

They do tend to weigh a little more then 15lbs but not normally more then 20. Because they are smaller dogs, they don't need as much exercise as larger dogs and more energetic ones like Terriors.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
I'd suggest a look at a Pekingnese or a ****z Tzu. Small, independant, smart, somewhat lazy. They do need a lot of grooming and tend to be stubborn at times.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:47 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,385,135 times
We rescued a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier, about 11 lbs. He plays with the cat, but prefers to sleep in our lap when we're home. Never damaged anything but shoes. He's very dependent and follows our Lab everywhere, and cuddles with him when he sleeps.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,938,675 times
My long-haired dachshund is just like a big dog stuck in a small dog body. He has that same laid back personality, but is only 25 lbs. Big bark, big attitude, small dog.. pretty perfect!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
Jack Russels are one of the most hyper dogs there are. They need lots of exercise. If you get a puppy keep in mind almost any puppy will be full of energy, chew up things, and should never be left home alone for an extended period of time except in a very safe area.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,328,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Please help my wife and I narrow the list of potential breeds we'd be interested in.

My wife would like a dog that is

- around 15 lbs. or less

- primarily indoors

- easily trainable

- lazy at times and up for bursts of play time

- fine left alone during working hours

We found this guy, but think he might be a little too wound up for us. I've always heard Jack Russell Terriers are super hyper, but he seemed pretty mellow. Maybe that's just because of his current environment?

We would like to adopt one.

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/TN03/TN03.9394709-3-pnt.jpg (broken link)
Unless this is an older dog from a rescue, with a foster's comments on how mellow and laid-back this particular dog is, I'd forget it. Almost all terriers can be hyper, some more than others. The few JRs I've known could drive anyone nuts, if they thought they were getting a mellow house dog. Do some more research into the breed's standards and temperament. There's a site, I think you can get to it from the AKC site, on choosing the right breed, where you choose what you want and it narrows down the breed choices to those that match [more or less] the qualities you're looking for. I used to correspond with a woman who'd rescued a border collie while she was still in graduate school and living in an apartment in a large city. She spent a LOT of time out running with the dog, playing ball with him, herding classes, agility, anything that could cope with his energy level, but she loved him to pieces and thought he was worth getting up at 4 am and running a couple hours every morning, rain, shine, snow, etc. Be very sure you know just what to expect, rather than just thinking 'he seems mellow' because if he's kenneled or in a cage, there's nothing else he can be.

Last edited by karibear; 02-03-2008 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 AM

355 posts, read 990,847 times
We adopted a Jack Russell (one yr old) from the rescue and I was a little apprehensive at first. But almost 2 years later.....I can't imagine life without her. She was nervous at first and chewed a few things but we found that putting her in a comfy crate when we were away solved the seperation anxiety. She does have a lot of energy (needs exercise) but is not hyper. And she is a little comedian...always makes us laugh. But what surprised me the most was how lovable she is.....always wanting to be held and cuddled. We have a large yellow lab who is very laid back and maybe some of his personality rubbed off on her. They get along fine and she cuddles up to him too. I think their personalities have a lot to do with their environment. Another small dog that you might consider is a Pug....from what I've heard they are not very hyper.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:45 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
How about an older dog from a breed rescue group? Guaranteed not to have wild young-dog energy, and it seems the smaller dogs live a really long time. A good rescue group will have vetted a dog's temperment and general needs- they're not in the business of making bad matches. Good luck. I love adoption.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Pugs are a really mellow breed. They are good natured, quiet-they don't bark much and when they do it isn't an annoying yappy bark of a lot of small dogs. They don't need to be exercised much but they have small spurts of energy. For the most part they are pretty lazy. My pug was very easy to train(crate trained) and she listens well. She never did any damage inside the house, she was taught not to go on furniture but she is "my" lap dog. She sits in my lap anytime I let her. She also can go a very long time without having to go out. She's better than me. She goes out at 10pm and sleeps in her bed until 11am sometimes 12 if it's raining(the sorry dog).

They are also a very comical dog. They do a lot of goofy things. On the down side they aren't the smartest breed but they are trainable. They can be very stubborn and they shed.

I would never get a Jack Russell. Yes they are a smart breed but they are hyper and they bark way too much. Those are the kinds of dogs that seem like a football b/c you want to kick them thay are so annoying.

Good Luck
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs