Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 951 times

Advertisements

We rescued our pittie from a shelter this February and although she had a few accidents, we were able to get her house broken within a week. Jump forward to May/June and she all of a sudden began peeing in the house pretty much daily. She would do it when we were home/not home, she would do it 3 hours after a walk or she would do it during the 8 hour period she was home. We adjusted her food and that seemed to work for about a month and she then began to not eat. So, we switched again and then it began again but with pooping as well (solid poops, not upset stomach-But it was a lot of poop which is abnormal for her). We changed her food, it stopped for a few weeks and now it has begun again. We are bringing her to the vet again but last time, the urine and poop test showed nothing was physically wrong with her. The original food was blue buffalo and we changed to a lower protein food, Natural Balance which originally helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 04:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
I think taking her to the vet is a good call. Changes in behavior like potty habits can be a indicator of a health problem or allergy to something in the food or environment.

Another thing to consider is routine. Has yours changed recently?

We had a foster for a couple of months that just left us last week that was not house broke when he arrived, and his time in the kennel did not help, so it took a week or two before he was pretty consistent about going outside on the walks. We had gone a couple of weeks without an accident (I have a very regular walking schedule), and then we had a day where we let them all out in the back yard to potty with no walk (I have three of my own dogs). About three hours later Farmer just started pissing as he walked through the dinning room, the kitchen, and then into the master bedroom (thank goodness for hardwood floors!). I yelled NO! when I figured out what was happening and took him outside. He pissed on the lanai and I praised him for "potty outside" and then he walked to the side yard and drained for another full 40-45 seconds! I guess the poor guy was just "full!" I praised him the whole time he was peeing in the yard. After that "event" he was "housetrained" for the rest of his stay with us, and was ok with using the yard (I think he thought you could only "potty" on a walk, since that was the routine).

Those are the two things that come to my mind as a potential reason for the pottying in the house - a health change, or a routine change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs