Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times

Advertisements

Every food causes my pup to have mushy or runny poop. She gets bad gas along with this also. I have heard about using pumpkin but don't know how much to give her. She is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 40lbs and is a border collie. Can anyone help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Use plain canned pumpkin (not spiced or sweetened), my dogs are smaller but I would give her a heaping spoonful to start with, maybe increase it twice a day, in her kibble. Another thought, has she been wormed - ? - they're not always visible and are oftentimes the cause of runny poop.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Yes, definitely have a vet check her stool for parasites.

Second, try grain-free food. My dog was fine eating "normal" dog food for 7 years. Until he wasn't. He suddenly started getting runny stools and was very gassy. Turns out he could no longer tolerate grains, so now he's on a grain-free salmon food. Worth checking into.

Also, probiotics can help.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 PM

253 posts, read 304,963 times
My dog has a lot of diarrhea problems. When it starts acting up, I'll usually replace a meal with half a can. He's 45 pounds.

Agree on vet checking his stool, just to be sure. It might turn out that there's nothing wrong and your dog just has a sensitive stomach. There are sensitive foods that you can feed him. I've had to put my dog on a prescription diet for a period of time because the diarrhea just wouldn't clear up.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,527 times
I also would highly recommend a stool check for parasites if it hasn't already been done. When my pup (also a border) was still young he went back and forth between mushy poop and pure diarrhea. When I had a stool sample taken, he tested positive for giardia, which can be a known culprit for this sort of problem.

My dog also has a very sensitive stomach, and I discovered that certain dog foods would cause him to have bouts of soft stool/full-blown diarrhea (not fun when you have a dog with a ton of long hair on his back end). So I put him on a grain-free diet that wasn't extremely high in protein, and he showed a lot of improvement. I also will sometimes add canned pure pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie mix) to his food if he shows signs of a bout beginning (last summer's heat wave triggered a few days of diarrhea for him); my dog is 45 lbs and I would add about 2 tablespoons to his meal.

One other thing that I also found out about my dog: his stomach is extremely sensitive to the amount of food I give him. For a long period of time when he was around two, I couldn't resolve a bout of diarrhea that had returned, despite the fact that the food he was on agreed with him, and he no longer tested positive for giardia. It just kept returning. But then I discovered that if I cut back on the amount I was giving him, it made a huge difference. I was apparently overfeeding him by just a bit, and cutting it back stopped the diarrhea in its tracks.

But definitely have your dog's stool tested first, if it hasn't been. You want to make sure no parasites are affecting her digestive tract and causing damage, otherwise you could be in for a long, frustrating fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs