Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times

Advertisements

This is likely very basic baking for most of you, but I need to preface this by saying that I can MAYBE get a box mix cake to come out right- baking is definitely not one of my strong points, so please be kind and hold the laughter. I get tired of spending so much $ on good healthy dog treats, so I thought I would give it a shot and make my own treats. I do use whole foods as training treats, just cut up cheese, chicken, liver, but I like to give them a cookie at night and mid-day when I am home.

I tried a pumpkin and peanut butter recipe that I found on the internet and adapted it a bit to use rice flour instead of wheat. The first batch was too moist so I was worried they wouldn't come out right, but baked them a bit longer and they were fine- got nice and crispy. The second batch I added a bit more flour and got the consistency right. The dogs went nuts for them.

Lessons learned-
1) Homemade dog treats are EASY to make and CHEAP even with good ingredients
2) Perfection not needed- too moist, bake them longer, dogs won't care if they are strange shapes, overdone the dogs won't care, the beauty is in how they taste
3) I can control ingredients- no preservations (freeze excess), can make awesome high value stinky treats using sardines, tuna, liver, cheese, etc

I don't know why I haven't tried to make treats before- a huge lack of confidence I guess and thought it would take too much time, but I am glad I finally took the plunge and now I have about 2 weeks of healthy tasty treats for less than 1/2 the cost of store bought.

Now I am excited to try the totally disgusting sounding sardine and tuna treat recipe next- yuck.

Does anybody else make their own baked treats or am I the last person on earth to discover how easy and cheap it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:03 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I would make them all the time for Kona and Sophie, but new old dog Britty doesn't approve of them so she gets Stella & Chewy's meaty mix-ins. My old standby was basically oats, molasses, grated apples, grated carrots, some eggs and a little flour to hold it together. Glad your pups like your baking, mine would rather have a roast.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:00 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't bake special treats. My dogs get homemade dog food and not a lot of of treats. If I am giving treats, they get cheese, meat, or bully sticks. The Genuine Little Princess adores tortilla chips, so I will slip her a tortilla chip every now and again.

I cooked a fresh ham that had the skin on it and that skin was cooked up crisp. I cut it into thumbnail size pieces and the dogs sometimes get a piece of that.

Wyatt McRiot is crazy for apples, so he gets a bit of apple every time I eat an apple.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:28 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Sure do cook Leo's treats myself. I never thought of cake mix though, great idea Twelvepaws. I just use a few recipes I've found off the internet that he likes, and they start with flour and go from there. I'll have to try cake mix. What's the sugar content in cake flour?

Leo loves when I make coconut ices. One of his favorites.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Sure do cook Leo's treats myself. I never thought of cake mix though, great idea Twelvepaws. I just use a few recipes I've found off the internet that he likes, and they start with flour and go from there. I'll have to try cake mix. What's the sugar content in cake flour?

Leo loves when I make coconut ices. One of his favorites.
Sorry, but NO, no cake mixes for the dogs! I wasn't clear. What I intended to say was that I am not a skilled baker, to the extent that I can barely make a boxed cake mix (for the humans). So, I was a little intimidated by the prospect of making dog treats.

Cake mix for dogs- no wouldn't do that, sorry for the confusion

Good idea though about the coconut ice- I may need to steal that.

What other kind of treats do you make for Leo?

Old 12-27-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I would make them all the time for Kona and Sophie, but new old dog Britty doesn't approve of them so she gets Stella & Chewy's meaty mix-ins. My old standby was basically oats, molasses, grated apples, grated carrots, some eggs and a little flour to hold it together. Glad your pups like your baking, mine would rather have a roast.
I like your idea of mixing grated carrots and/or apples into the batter, good idea. It was really easy- just eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, and rice flour, pretty foolproof even for me. I always have rolled oats in the house so will try with those next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't bake special treats. My dogs get homemade dog food and not a lot of of treats. If I am giving treats, they get cheese, meat, or bully sticks. The Genuine Little Princess adores tortilla chips, so I will slip her a tortilla chip every now and again.

I cooked a fresh ham that had the skin on it and that skin was cooked up crisp. I cut it into thumbnail size pieces and the dogs sometimes get a piece of that.

Wyatt McRiot is crazy for apples, so he gets a bit of apple every time I eat an apple.
Tortilla chips are popular in my house too. And yogurt too, but my dogs would starve before they would actually eat an apple or carrot- chew it up and spit it out all over the house yes, actually eat it no.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 12-27-2015 at 05:29 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Thanks about the NO cake mix. OK, never heard of it, but willing to try if proven. Like you, I 'over-bake' the dog's biscuits, so they are hard and crunchy.

The coconut ice is simple. Fresh coconut in food processor (I guess a blender would work?) for 3 or 4 minutes to cream. A dash or sugar. (optional, Leo has a sweet tooth) Vanilla yogurt. Place in ice cube trays and freeze.
All in processor at once.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
The coconut ice is simple. Fresh coconut in food processor (I guess a blender would work?) for 3 or 4 minutes to cream. A dash or sugar. (optional, Leo has a sweet tooth) Vanilla yogurt. Place in ice cube trays and freeze.
All in processor at once.
That sounds yummy- and easy. My dogs would love them Thanks!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I baked some for the first time a couple of days ago. No idea why I hadn't before. They were so easy to make and the dogs love them.
I'll definitely keep making them.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I make my dogs treats all the time. Wheat flour, rolled oats, peanut butter, molasses, milk all mixed together and baked. Cheap, easy and the dogs love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs