Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 PM

115 posts, read 471,764 times

Advertisements

We just bought a treadmill and yay I can't wait to let my dog walk/run on it. She's a husky and FULL of energy hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,176,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I've got a new treadmill. How can I train my dog to take a run on it? She runs outside with me when the weather is good enough, but winter in Kansas isn't the best running conditions. I'd like to get her a little exercise on the treadmill too, if I can get her to do it, but she's not too thrilled with it. She'll stand on it when it's not running, but as soon as it's going she'll jump off and go hide in her bed.
We don't have a treadmill, yet, but my father does. When we go visit my father we always bring our dogs and one day we decided to see if we could get our dogs to use the treadmill. It did take them a bit to get use to it, but it didn't take long and now they are fine with it. We took each of our dogs, one at a time, into his "gym" (so he calls it, it's just an extra room with some workout equipment) with their leash on. At first we just let them get use to standing on the treadmill without it on. My husband stood next to the dog, on the side of the treadmill and held the leash, and I sat in front of the treadmill with some treats. We just let them stand there for a few minutes and gave them a couple treats and lots of praise. After they got comfortable with just being on the treadmill, we turned it on low and basically did the same thing. Of course, their first instinct is to jump off of the treadmill, but with one of us being in front of our dog, one of us being next to our dog and with our dog on the leash, we managed to keep them from jumping off. We just kept giving them treats and praise every time they calmed down some and just walked. We gradually increased the speed and just kept doing the same thing with treats and praise. Like I said, it did take them all a little while to get use to it, but it didn't take nearly as long as I originally thought it would. We didn't turn the speed up very high, we didn't make them run, but we did turn it up to where they had to walk as fast as they would on a regular walk. Once we got up to the speed we wanted it at and the dogs were comfortable with, I stood up, instead of sitting in front of them, and I waited a little longer between treats. We didn't have them on the treadmill very long, but by the time they were done they got some water and went to take a nap! lol! So, I'm assuming they got some decent exercise.

We have only done that once with each dog, but after seeing how good they did, we are thinking about getting a treadmill. We live in Florida, so most of the time it's not a problem to take our dogs on their 2-3 daily walks. But it does storm pretty often here and sometimes it storms really bad for a really long time. And in the summer, it can get so incredibly hot and so incredibly humid that we cannot safely walk our dogs. Last summer it seemed hotter than normal, to me anyway. I don't know if it really was, but our dogs seemed to get way hotter than normal on their walks. The weather station we watch does this thing they call "The Comfort Zone" where they tell you how hot it feels once you factor in the temperature with the humidity, and for a lot, if not most of the summer it would be anywhere from 100 degrees to 114 degrees! We also seemed to have a lot more heat warnings than summers before. But anyway, we started to wet the dogs down with the water hose before each walk, we would only walk them in areas where there was a good amount of shade, we would bring a water bottle and a plastic cup so they would have water if they needed it, and we wouldn't walk them for too long. After dealing with that last summer, and after seeing how good they all did on the treadmill, we are thinking it would be a good idea to get one.

We own 3 terriers/ working breed dogs, so they are pretty active and need to have daily exercise, and while we would never have them use the treadmill in place of a walk on days where the weather is good for walks, I just think it would be a great way to make sure they get their exercise on days where we really can't walk them. Also, I would never leave them unattended on the treadmill. So anyway, that's how we got our dogs to use the treadmill, and like I said, I think having a treadmill to use when you can't take you dog for a regular walk is a great thing. As long as it's used responsibly and safely of course. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I've got a new treadmill. How can I train my dog to take a run on it? She runs outside with me when the weather is good enough, but winter in Kansas isn't the best running conditions. I'd like to get her a little exercise on the treadmill too, if I can get her to do it, but she's not too thrilled with it. She'll stand on it when it's not running, but as soon as it's going she'll jump off and go hide in her bed.
The way you keep a dog o the treadmill is you need a harness and you hook both sides and the front to the treadmill. Start off on a slow speed. It took awhile for my dog to get used to it but now loves it

Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,414,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsmom2012 View Post
The way you keep a dog o the treadmill is you need a harness and you hook both sides and the front to the treadmill. Start off on a slow speed. It took awhile for my dog to get used to it but now loves it
Oh HECK NO!- forcing a dog into something is absolutely the wrong way to do it. I can't believe that someone would hook up a rig that FORCES the dog to use the machine. That should be considered as a form of abuse!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times
I know with horses it is not good to work them on a tread mill very often.

It shortens their stride.

If their was a easy way to exercise dogs...I would not be up with Rip rain or, shine every day at 5:30 AM.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Have you tried it yet? Its really going to depend on the dog for what you have to do. Some you hook them up and they just go, I have a female who loves it and she gets on there by herself. Others seemed to take to it right off. I'd think if they didn't they will after awhile, try with a toy or treat to get them come to it, they will figure it out pretty easy. Don't get mad or frustrated if your dog doesn't though because that will only cause regression as with anything else it can take patience if your dog isn't right on at first.

Hope to be getting a new one this summer but we'll see.
Say, I know the carpet mills are generally for strength training and the treadmills for endurance but carpet mills are a lot less expensve because of the lack of motor (and that can be a good thing with dog hair and slobber)

I would like to get a good endurance trot on one. What do you think? Also muscle buidling distribution? Back end front end etc.? Would love the insights.

I know stride can be an issue with larger dogs. .... with GSDs you have a long stride length which can be too long for a human treadmill.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsmom2012 View Post
Please stop doing that. It's dangerous, abusive, and just plain ridiculous.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Say, I know the carpet mills are generally for strength training and the treadmills for endurance but carpet mills are a lot less expensve because of the lack of motor (and that can be a good thing with dog hair and slobber)

I would like to get a good endurance trot on one. What do you think? Also muscle buidling distribution? Back end front end etc.? Would love the insights.

I know stride can be an issue with larger dogs. .... with GSDs you have a long stride length which can be too long for a human treadmill.
If there was an easy way...I would do it.

Rip runs 15/20 miles a day beside my truck.

That is why Rip is one of the fittest hounds you will ever see.

Look at the back mussel.

Dog on treadmill...-pict0235.jpg

Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dont tie the leash!!! You walk beside the treadmill [in place] the dog is on the treadmill going the same pace you are....give the heal comand. Do this in small increment 1-2 min working up to say 10 min. After a while the dog will jump right on and do it you can go sit down.....
Now that's one talented dog!
Attached Thumbnails
Dog on treadmill...-dog-doctor.jpg  

Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Now that's one talented dog!
LOVE the doggie pic! I dont know what happen to the pics in my post Makes this old thread look silly

Driller they dont make treadmills for horses EXCEPT for medical reason so the tread mill is not designed to do more that walk the horse Not lope. The ones for dogs Are Longer & Dose Not hurt the dog IMO Safer that running a dog by your truck! What IF yours dogs Fell ... then your like a hunter I knew decades ago Draging the dog! Dog died He got FIVE Yrs in prison for animal cruelty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs