Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 PM

237 posts, read 967,434 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 month old Yorkshire Terrier. Just got him a few weeks ago. He started with this little noise like a quick gag or quick cough like clearing his throat. Sometimes when he is outside playing or inside playing. The vet pushed on his neck and he did it and she said he has a collapse trachea. I always thought a collapse trachea was a honking cough. Im nervous because I know its not good to have a collapse trachea. Any ones dog out there have this and does I sound like it is this? Thanks Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 10:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Last year one of my dogs was having some issues and coughing. The vet also thought it was a collapsed trachea but did xrays and said it was not that. She also had her heart checked and her heart was fine. She had some other issues I found out. When I thought it was the collapsed trachea her holistic vet told me to put her on Vetri Science Vetri Disc which she said works really well for a collapsed trachea (you can order it on amazon). I would have your vet take some xrays and check his heart. Also make sure he does not wear a collar and instead use a harness (this alone might help). He is very young so you definitely want to make sure you get a proper diagnosis.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 AM

Hello did the stuff work for your dogs cough? THanks

Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I have a 15 year old yorkie/poodle mix and this has helped tremendously. It doesn't totally alleviate the coughing and gagging, but has cut it down by at least 60-75%. It is pricy but goes a LONG way with a little dog. We got it in June and aren't even 1/4 way through the bottle yet. It has great reviews on the web site.
Good luck!

PetWellbeing - Search Results for Throat Gold - Cough & Throat Soother for dogs

Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
first off its IMPOSSIBLE to tell a collapsing trachea from touching/pushing on the neck...an xray has to be done to determin that...
I would also have the heart checked, given this happens when he gets excited/playing it could VERY easily be a heart condition (VERY common in toy breeds and yorkies expecially)

secondly DONT PANIC.
a collapsed trachea and a weak/collapsing trachea are 2 completely different things...1 is serious...the other (weak/collapsing) is completely treatable.
first off, NEVER EVER walk him by a collar, he should be walked on a well fitting harness, toy breeds should never be led by the neck due to a delicate trachea...secondly a cough when excited in those cases is normal, as long as the dog isn't wheezing, having trouble catching his breath/breathing ect its not a cause for panic, just monitor the situation surgery can be done if the trachea starts to cave, and typically as long as you don't apply pressure to a weak trachea no further damage will occur...a trachea typically doenst just collaps on its own, it typically is WEAK by genetics and then a force (collar being pulled ect) will cause the actual damage.

if it instead is a heart condition (and given his breed that's a very real possibility) id be 1: intouch with the breeder, heart issues are congenital and the breeder should be testing their breeding dogs to prevent those issues...
2: heart conditions ARE treatable by medications and sometimes surgery...

my first step would be to get an xray or the trachea and get his heart checked...

Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
first off its IMPOSSIBLE to tell a collapsing trachea from touching/pushing on the neck...an xray has to be done to determin that...
I would also have the heart checked, given this happens when he gets excited/playing it could VERY easily be a heart condition (VERY common in toy breeds and yorkies expecially)

secondly DONT PANIC.
a collapsed trachea and a weak/collapsing trachea are 2 completely different things...1 is serious...the other (weak/collapsing) is completely treatable.
first off, NEVER EVER walk him by a collar, he should be walked on a well fitting harness, toy breeds should never be led by the neck due to a delicate trachea...secondly a cough when excited in those cases is normal, as long as the dog isn't wheezing, having trouble catching his breath/breathing ect its not a cause for panic, just monitor the situation surgery can be done if the trachea starts to cave, and typically as long as you don't apply pressure to a weak trachea no further damage will occur...a trachea typically doenst just collaps on its own, it typically is WEAK by genetics and then a force (collar being pulled ect) will cause the actual damage.

if it instead is a heart condition (and given his breed that's a very real possibility) id be 1: intouch with the breeder, heart issues are congenital and the breeder should be testing their breeding dogs to prevent those issues...
2: heart conditions ARE treatable by medications and sometimes surgery...

my first step would be to get an xray or the trachea and get his heart checked...

She's correct

Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Hello did the stuff work for your dogs cough? THanks
My dog did not have the collapsed trachea, so she needed other things, but I still kept giving her the vetri disc because it is good supplement. Hopefully you will find out what is causing your dog to cough. Xrays should give the vets more information.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice

Old 08-12-2014, 03:31 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
please keep us updated Mindy

Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestion of verti science verti disc. I have ordered it and will let you know how it works. I only found on the internet 3 people that have used if for the CT reason. So we will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs