Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,690 times

Advertisements

This is her second litter , her first litter she had 5 living puppies. . The dad is older he is 9 yrs old and she is about 3 yrs old.. this is her second litter and she only had one puppy..both mom and dad are pure chow chow ..
Attached Thumbnails
My Chow chow only had 1 puppy is this normal?-20160318_203135.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
No, it's not normal...but it can happen. Did you ever take your pregnant dog to the vet? Then you would have known how many puplies were coming. Keep an eye on the mother and I personally would take her in just to have peace of mind that there isn't anything going on...like other puppies stuck etc.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
There is never any guarantee how many puppies a dog can have.

All depends on many factors, the age of the parents, the number of eggs released, the quality of the sperm, whether the dam has absorbed any puppies over the course of the pregnancy, etc. Your vet could have told you about how many to expect .

I agree with taking her to the vet. There could be a dead puppy in there or two. Also sometimes with just one pup she may not be producing enough of the needed hormones to complete labor.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:40 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
This thread is off topic to the Connecticut forum. I am moving it to the Pets forum where it will get more responses. JayCT, Moderator

Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,290 times
If you're breeding a dog for the second time isn't it kind of important to know this stuff already?

Old 03-20-2016, 04:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic0723 View Post
This is her second litter , her first litter she had 5 living puppies. . The dad is older he is 9 yrs old and she is about 3 yrs old.. this is her second litter and she only had one puppy..both mom and dad are pure chow chow ..
Almost without exception, singleton pups (when there is only one pup) have very specific behavioral issues resulting from not having to compete with siblings for resources. I would immediately start looking for a reputable behaviorist who can help you understand what will be needed to help this pup. You absolutely MUST start getting this pup used to being handled, and continual ongoing socialization is critical. As well, you must make any potential buyer/adopter aware of what kind of issues they will have to manage including the potential for aggression, low frustration threshold, very low tolerance for other dogs, "dominance", and the need for very strong leadership.

Even dogs whose owners did everything right ended up with severe behavioral issues. The only person I know who has successfully raised a balanced singleton is Susan Garrett- her blog article is below- and she is the exception not the rule. She is also a world-class trainer who worked with her singleton every single day with exercises designed to head off any issues. She also found another breeder who had a litter of young pups about the same age who helped socialize her singleton.

Singleton Puppies | The Bark

Socializing the Singleton Puppy: Swagger's Big Adventure | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog

Please get your dog spayed so that she doesn't have another litter. If you were a reputable breeder you would have a strong support network of breeders and experienced dog people able to assist and answer these questions for you.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 03-20-2016 at 05:11 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
When I was raising Shelties the Adv Litter was 4. 1 year I got a young male about 6 months old. Now on adv Males don't mature till they are about 12-18 months. Couple months later my Girls started coming into heat. I had 1 litter of 6 pups...1 of 9!!! 1 of 1...guess he got tired.. 4th female had 5 ALL born within 10 days of each other! I divided them equally as close as I could among the moms.
Contact local rescues & see IF they need a Foster mom.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Almost without exception, singleton pups (when there is only one pup) have very specific behavioral issues resulting from not having to compete with siblings for resources. I would immediately start looking for a reputable behaviorist who can help you understand what will be needed to help this pup. You absolutely MUST start getting this pup used to being handled, and continual ongoing socialization is critical. As well, you must make any potential buyer/adopter aware of what kind of issues they will have to manage including the potential for aggression, low frustration threshold, very low tolerance for other dogs, "dominance", and the need for very strong leadership.

Even dogs whose owners did everything right ended up with severe behavioral issues. The only person I know who has successfully raised a balanced singleton is Susan Garrett- her blog article is below- and she is the exception not the rule. She is also a world-class trainer who worked with her singleton every single day with exercises designed to head off any issues. She also found another breeder who had a litter of young pups about the same age who helped socialize her singleton.

Singleton Puppies | The Bark

Socializing the Singleton Puppy: Swagger's Big Adventure | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog

Please get your dog spayed so that she doesn't have another litter. If you were a reputable breeder you would have a strong support network of breeders and experienced dog people able to assist and answer these questions for you.
^^^ So this!

To the OP...In addition, I strongly suggest the you keep this puppy and devote your future time and energy to caring for it. You assumed the responsibility for this challenged puppy the moment you bred your dog.

As I've written before, breeding quality dogs is not for the faint of heart.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:37 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Excellent advice already. I'd highly suggest a trip to the vet to make sure there isn't a puppy dead in there that will kill the mother. I also highly suggest you get your pets spayed and neutered. We don't need any more backyard bred puppies in this country. Just because they are 'pure bred' doesn't mean they should have been bred. We kill plenty Chows in this country already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs