Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Check with your local animal shelters, sometimes they offer lower cost spay/neuters.
It's a small town. They don't offer any discounts. I'm not sure they do spay/neuter there. I checked. I'm taking her to the vet because he really cares about his patients. I'll have to talk to them about suggestions on how to get Gumby there. He's my boy. Pokey is my girl.

Now that's she's not sending out scents to find a mate, everything is very calm and quiet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:58 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,511 times
I adopted an 8-10 week old puppy girl that was already spayed. I didn't even realize that they were doing it that young now. Also, it must of been laproscopic surgery because neither my husband nor I could find a scar.

The poor kid. She was born, then separated from her mother. She traveled over a thousand miles, was spayed, and then adopted all by the time she was 8 to 10 weeks old, lol.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I adopted an 8-10 week old puppy girl that was already spayed. I didn't even realize that they were doing it that young now. Also, it must of been laproscopic surgery because neither my husband nor I could find a scar.

The poor kid. She was born, then separated from her mother. She traveled over a thousand miles, was spayed, and then adopted all by the time she was 8 to 10 weeks old, lol.
That seems awfully small. But she is a lucky girl.

I got Pokey from a girl trying to find a home for the puppy at Walmart. She was about six weeks, not nursing. The girl's dad was the manager of an apartment, and she'd been left behind with the trash when the people moved. She'd called all the rescues and nobody had space, and she was supposed to dump her and come home. How could I not?

Now that she's not interested, things are back to normal energetic calm. But I keep wondering who could move and leave a puppy behind. There wasn't even water and she was lucky they checked out the apartment quickly.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:51 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,695,099 times
Years from now, once your dog reaches midlife, she may develop urinary incontinence and need an estrogen replacement, or other medication.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,017 times
I'd suggest you keep her separated from your other dog for a few days. Sometimes when one pet has surgery and comes home, another pet may react negatively because the one who had the surgery now has "funny smells" associated with the hospital and anesthesia. This can scare other animals into reacting by running away, snapping or even attacking.

My last dog was spayed when she was just over a year old. She came home with me that evening and was quite groggy and slept through the night, but the next morning wanted to run and play, as though nothing had happened. She was a very active dog (Australian cattle dog mix) and the real challenge was in keeping her quiet for the next week while her incision healed. No running, or jumping up on furniture. Just a lot of walks and gentle play time.

She also had a funny reaction to me during this time. The morning after her surgery, Kaya was acting 'weird'. I'd walk up to her and go to pet her and she'd bare her teeth and snarl at me, telling me in no uncertain terms to back off. I thought she was in pain - despite the fact that she'd been given a 24-hour pain med - and wound up calling the vet to find out what might be wrong. In the meantime I'd warned my pre-teen son to not go near her, as I felt Kaya might deliver a severe bite.

Turns out, however, that she wasn't in pain at all. She was expressing her anger at me over having been put through the ordeal of surgery. My son could hug her, kiss her, cuddle with her...she'd wag her tail and lick him. But the moment I approached she would once again show her pearly whites, accompanied by a low, menacing growl. This was the only time she ever acted that way with me, and it lasted for most of the day, then finally subsided that evening. By the following day all was forgiven and I was once again in her good books.

As for the comment about urinary incontinence and estrogen replacement, I've never experienced that with any dog that was spayed. Even Kaya, who lived to be almost 16, was fine. Healthy as a horse until a few days before I had to say goodbye to her, the result of a mast cell tumour on her leg.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:05 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,267,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Years from now, once your dog reaches midlife, she may develop urinary incontinence and need an estrogen replacement, or other medication.
I have never had that happen with any of my girls, some of whom lived to be quite elderly.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,812,463 times
We crated ours for a full two weeks after her spaying. Only went out of the crate to use the bathroom. We got her from the pound and they spayed her 1 day before we took her home. She was bored as heck for 2 weeks but she had no complications and she forgot about that stay in the crate after about one hour out of the crate.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:16 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,695,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I have never had that happen with any of my girls, some of whom lived to be quite elderly.
Actually, I had never heard of it either until my dog developed the problem. Her vets told me it was not uncommon.

Here's some information on the subject:
What You Need to Know About Spay Urinary Incontinence in Female Dogs

Old 04-08-2016, 02:22 AM

101 posts, read 136,713 times
My pebbles nearly died from "simple" spay. I believe they also damaged her trachea as well. She stayed overnight and seems fine at first but when I picked her up, vet said she got in "trouble" while she was under anesthesia. I noticed about 5 days later she was extremely congested. Ended up on antibiotics for month, nebulizers, steroid shot. Still has sounds at time like someone with stuffy nose when she is excited. They weren't even able to pull all her baby teeth either.... Sometimes it's not a simple surgery as they say. My dog almost died...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs