Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,879,988 times

Advertisements

Hi,my adult son and I are thinking if we move where we can have a dog, we are thinking of getting a Brittany Spaniel puppy. However, I read that they can be prone to urine dribbling such as when you come home or visitors come, and I really would not be happy about this.
Are there any here with experience owning this breed?

We are also considering a Boston Terrier crossbreed so that they don't have such bulging eyes and the short muzzle, which is their only drawback IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 AM

26,193 posts, read 22,372,392 times
At one time, long ago, our neighbor had a female and yes, she dribbled. We liked her and adopted a male Brittany and he dribbled too. I have seen it in a few other breeds too. They seem to have a "nervousness". I am sure there are exceptions one way or the other.

A good book I really liked is "The Right Dog For You." It was the only one that ever talked about things that some might find undesirable. https://www.amazon.com/Right-Dog-You.../dp/067147247X I wore out two copies of this over the years.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:43 AM

Thank you for sharing that info, and about the book too, which I just reserved at my library. I also really like this website~ Boston Terriers: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

I believe most spaniels- like setters, are considered "soft" dogs, which is one of the things that I like about them.
I don't want a dominate dog, or one prone to digging, strong prey drive[cause I want a cat too], one who lives to eat, or guards their food or toys.

That is one reason why I would consider a crossbred over a purebred, besides avoiding the congenital defects,
also avoiding some breed characteristics.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Thank you for sharing that info, and about the book too, which I just reserved at my library. I also really like this website~ Boston Terriers: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

I believe most spaniels- like setters, are considered "soft" dogs, which is one of the things that I like about them. I don't want a dominate dog, or one prone to digging, strong prey drive[cause I want a cat too], one who lives to eat, or guards their food or toys.

That is one reason why I would consider a crossbred over a purebred, besides avoiding the congenital defects,
Spaniels and setters may or may not be soft dogs depending on the breed. My friend has had several Brittanys and a couple of hers (but not all) did dribble. I've also done some rescue work with Brittanys and they are not what I would call soft dogs. While there are exceptions to the rule, most of them have HUGE prey drives. My friend's dogs will chase and kill squirrels, rabbits etc. If there is something in the ground or under the house they will dig to get it. They also are high energy and need a lot of exercise. I personally love the breed. IMO they are some of the sweetest dogs around (they love, love, love people) but I don't think they're what you're looking for. Their personality is totally different from a Boston Terrier (which sounds like it would be a much better fit).

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2016, 03:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I believe most spaniels- like setters, are considered "soft" dogs, which is one of the things that I like about them.
I don't want a dominate dog, or one prone to digging, strong prey drive[cause I want a cat too], one who lives to eat, or guards their food or toys.

There are "soft" and "hard" dogs in all breeds. The terms soft and hard, well, they are too often used inappropriately or by an inexperienced lay person to label a dog as "difficult". It is also misleading to maintain that a dog is soft or hard, as these can be situational and relative to the task and the person working with the dog.

Dogs of all breeds regardless whether soft or hard have prey drive, will dig, eat, guard, etc. As well, neither soft nor hard has anything to do with "dominance", which is fluid and situational and NOT a fixed quality.

You get out of a dog what you put into it. Age-appropriate progressively difficult training, proofing, ongoing reinforcement and mental stimulation, and appropriate ongoing socialization will result in a confident solid dog who should be able to behave and handle most situations.

Personally I hate these labels- you work with the dog in front of you. Labeling a dog soft or hard is really reductive, and counter-productive. While these tendencies toward soft or hard may matter for a working dog, they don't change whether a dog will make a good companion dog. You still need to do your homework on the breed you are interested in, put training into the dog, work with the dog to develop a strong relationship bond, and buy the dog from a reputable breeder who breeds pet quality with focus on temperament as opposed to working dogs. I support rescue and adoption, but if you want a known quality then you might do better to buy from a reputable breeder. They know their puppies and will match you up with the right puppy for you.

BTW- buying a dog from a responsible breeder who does the appropriate health testing will help avoid health issues; there is no guarantee that a mix breed will be immune to the various genetic ailments that afflict purebred dogs.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 07-22-2016 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 PM

I am 65 years old and had dogs all my life, until my husband passed away and I sold our home and moved into an apartment, and I know for a fact that not all dogs guard their food/toys ect, In fact every dog we ever had with the exception of one English Cocker ,would let you pick up their food bowl with no problem. I also know that some breeds are for experienced owners only and you better be a strong pack leader or those dogs will rule the roost and are not trustworthy family dogs.

Very few breeders are what I would consider responsible! They and the AKC have destroyed most breeds, by inbreeding. That is why the Border Collie people WISELY fought so hard against AKC recognition! Just look at any breed book and see how asinine show styles changed the look of breeds! No American Cocker could be used in the field today with that ridiculous profuse coat, and no poodle ever wore that ludicrous looking show clip in the field!

I do agree that before anyone spends their money, research the breeds you are interested in for congenital problems and demand that the parents have been tested/certified acceptable, usually from a university, and Do Not Buy from that breeder if they haven't done this! Make them show you the test results and know what a good grade is, never take their word for anything!

My favorite breed is the Boxer but they are prone to cancer and rarely live over 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs