Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:17 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,647 times

Advertisements

What does an average day in your dog's life look like? Is it any more exciting than this??:

My husband works weird hours, so my dogs wake up in the morning to bark at whatever the other neighborhood dogs are barking at, and then go back to sleep.
One has breakfast at 10am.
Then he has another breakfast when the fussy dog wants to eat.
They hang out outside until they get hot.
They go for a walk when hubby gets up, around noon or 1pm.
Dinner is around 6pm for them.
They go for another walk around 7pm, and then chase each other around the backyard when we get home.
There's a bully stick or similar in the evening, and we play together after that.
They wrestle a bit, and then sleep around 1am.
There are naps in between.

It just seems so boring. How do I spice up their lives a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 01:20 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Get involved with Obedience, Agility, Fly ball. Depending on breed Herding, Pulling. Lots of Dog Sports out there just look.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Get involved with Obedience, Agility, Fly ball. Depending on breed Herding, Pulling. Lots of Dog Sports out there just look.
Do you do those things with your dogs?

For about five months of the year -- right now! -- it's too hot to do anything outside. 100 degrees plus humidity.
We do obedience in the house though, and in the backyard for as long as I can stand the heat. One of them enjoys that. The other one gets bored with it.

I'd really like to know how other dogs spend their day.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Course I did. Trainers & Clubs I have trained with have Indoor as well as Out door Training places. Contact your local Dog clubs.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,280,417 times
Sounds like a typical dog day to me.

It's very hot here too in South FL. When I can, I try to take them to the dog park before 10 am. Otherwise, they get their walks every 6 hours or so, nap a lot, wrestle with each other, nap on my lap while watching tv, chew on their nylabones, etc. Nothing exciting. I used to think my dogs are outgoing. When I take them out more and for longer periods, I find that they would nudge me more and more to go home. My younger pup is ready to go home after being out for 15 minutes. So just like people, some dogs prefer to be couch potatoes.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:12 PM

50,400 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Wake up mom as soon as it starts to get light, by acting all hyper and jumping on my head.
Wait to be carried outside, because he doesn't like to get his paws wet in the grass. Pees.
Returns to the house to go out the front door to get the newspaper. Usually poops in the driveway. Sigh.
Eats breakfast of dry food with "squiggles". Eats squiggles first.
Sits on mom's lap while she reads the paper.
Naps for most of the day, except for the occasional trip outside.
Supper at 5 pm. Naps until bedtime. Sleeps like a log all night.

Repeat.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 PM

Sounds like these dogs have pretty nice lives!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:55 PM

965 posts, read 940,977 times
They wake me sweetly if I am not up by 530. They go out while I make my tea. When the sun is close to coming out we go walk down the road or off leash in our field, about 30 minutes. Itt was an hour or more, but practically speaking we are now in a place that makes it more difficult this time of year without the field plowed fox tails are not fun.

Back in to rest, then out at noonish, they play, or I throw toys for them. If the weather is good they like to hang out in the front yard for awhile, while I work. Usually they just sunbathe on the deck.

At 430 when I am done with work they get dinner, maybe hang outside weather permitting. Getting brushed out, taking a wander...

Then inside for hanging out, mauling their cats, and starting to snooze.

Some mornings I drive with one dog to walk with a friend and her dog.

No good dog training group here, used to do at least 3 classes a night not long ago. We all loved it, and miss it.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:06 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
What does an average day in your dog's life look like? Is it any more exciting than this??:

My husband works weird hours, so my dogs wake up in the morning to bark at whatever the other neighborhood dogs are barking at, and then go back to sleep.
One has breakfast at 10am.
Then he has another breakfast when the fussy dog wants to eat.
They hang out outside until they get hot.
They go for a walk when hubby gets up, around noon or 1pm.
Dinner is around 6pm for them.
They go for another walk around 7pm, and then chase each other around the backyard when we get home.
There's a bully stick or similar in the evening, and we play together after that.
They wrestle a bit, and then sleep around 1am.
There are naps in between.

It just seems so boring. How do I spice up their lives a bit?
That sounds like my day. I am sure they have a blast each time.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,277,616 times
I share my dog with my friend who lives around the corner after her dog died as she didn't want to get another puppy at her age. She's my doggy angel. She comes every morning at 6:30 while it's still cool and takes him on her "yellow doggy bus", aka her golf cart, to run and chase rabbits in our open dog park of several hundred wild acres. She feeds him a home cooked breakfast on the way.

After an hour he comes back all hyper and usually soaking wet and jumps on top of me in bed to give me a big hug. Then he will rest and either take care of grooming one of his stuffed babies, ask to have his stomach scratched, or want you to throw his ball around the living room. I check him for ticks, cactus insertions, brush him, or give him a bath.

At noon or one I take him out and try to get him to pee while his tail is going a mile a minute with excitement trying to find geckos.

At noon she comes back to hug him and he waits on top of the couch so he can look out the window for her. Back again at five she brings him dinner and they go out to the field hunting and running for another hour and which he's completely pooped. Then he will sit in my lap and watch movies till I take him out at 10 after which he goes to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs