Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times

Advertisements

my dog just got into a scrape through a fence, with a dog staying next door. her nose was grazed by the other dog's teeth and is bleeding. he didn't directly bite her, just scraped her up a bit.

does anyone know if there are special considerations to take since i can't really dress the wound and she keeps licking it? is the licking going to keep the blood from clotting? it seems like the blood flow has been slowing, so hopefully this is not the case. am i going to be able to keep the wound clean enough to avoid infection? is there some way to dress it that i'm not thinking of? is this a situation where i need to take her to a vet, even though it's a minor wound?

by the way, she is such an amazing girl, she let me clean the wound and hold gauze over it for 10 minutes or so without a peep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I had a tumor removed from my dog's rear end, near the tail (benign). On the way home after the stitches came out, it broke open - bloody mess in my car and house. I called the vet who said to put pressure on it to stop the bleeding, 15 min as I remember, then if it stopped to just leave it alone to heal from the inside out. It was a huge gaping wound and he licked it but it healed and his fur grew back. So I think the nose will be OK.

What can you do so this doesn't happen again?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
We actually had the same problem here last week. Dylan cut his nose on a marrow bone I had given him....It bled...more oozed for a few minutes. I put some neosporin on it...which he licked off....but it scabbed over the week and the scab fell off yesterday...now just a white spot...it healed pretty quickly considering...hopefully, it will turn black again soon.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 PM

thanks for the advice!

as for your question, i just have to remember to check that there are no unfamiliar or unfriendly dogs next door before i let mine out! there usually aren't, and the ones who do come to visit are usually friendly, but obviously that's not the case 100% of the time. i need to always be on my guard.

the fence between our yards is a chain link one with a gate in it; we actually put it in because we are friends with our neighbors. they were fighting (or rather the other dog was fighting/biting and mine was holding her ground) through the gap between the gate and the post. i don't see any way to ensure this doesn't happen again besides getting rid of the gate and/or putting in a solid privacy fence, but we'd really rather not do that.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
Assuming your gate swings both ways (or just in) you could weld or tie either mesh larger than the width of the gate or a wooden panel...if done well the mesh won't look too ghetto.

Or (and its hard to give advice without seeing the gap) you might be able to install an additional post in the gap up to the latch... with a bit of creative thinking I think its a workable situation without replacing the fence or removing the gate.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,848 times
I think you'll be ok to treat it at home, as others have said. Do your best to keep it clean of course. Try putting a triple antibiotic ointment on it just before feeding time or play time. It has a better chance of getting some time to work that way. Just keep an eye on it for things like excessive redness, swelling and discharge.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
You probably don't need to go too far overboard with prophylaxis for a scratch on a dog's nose. If the tissue is laid open and doesn't want to stay "closed", that warrants a visit to the vet but a scratch that he has ready access to with his tongue and is still oozing blood is not much of an infection risk. I think the best thing to do is to say in a upbeat but authoritative voice "I guess that will teach you to be more careful where you stick your nose, eh?"

Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,639 times
You could use some liquid bandage product, there are many different brands.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 156,299 times
Default worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
We actually had the same problem here last week. Dylan cut his nose on a marrow bone I had given him....It bled...more oozed for a few minutes. I put some neosporin on it...which he licked off....but it scabbed over the week and the scab fell off yesterday...now just a white spot...it healed pretty quickly considering...hopefully, it will turn black again soon.
it's kinda the same thing happened here to my dog. my dog's nose bled. now the wound is healing. it's juz dat i worried that will it turn black again on his nose as before? so how was ur dog doing? did it healed perfectly? i wish could get ur reply asap. thx a lot.

u can email me at [email]whsy_88@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM

my dog's nose had white spots where the cuts were once they healed - they did turn black again within a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs