Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 PM

65 posts, read 492,830 times

Advertisements

My dog played too hard yesterday and somehow scraped his paw... so do you think I should put the e-collar on him to prevent him from licking his wound? or do you think he should lick his wound to let it heal? I have read that dog's saliva is almost sterile and it's natural for them to lick their own wounds, yet some say licking its own wound actually promotes infection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
I would let him lick it. I don't think the dogs mouths are cleaner.
I think its tongue is almost cotton swab like, and theyr saliva does contain a special enzyme that contains antibacterial substances.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,980,906 times
Is he licking it excessively now? I would say, if he's just licking it every now and then go ahead and let him. But if he's licking it all the time, it's going to have a harder time healing, and paws have a hard time healing to begin with. I can tell you that dog saliva is not sterile or even close to it.

If it were my dog I would run some water over the paw (hydrotherapy) for 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day and discourage him from licking excessively. I'd also watch very carefully for any signs of infection.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM

65 posts, read 492,830 times
no he's not licking it excessively. I put the collar on him this morning when I was out, but have taken it out now that I am home and am able to watch him. Yesterday the wound was bleeding a little as I was cleaning him up after our day outside. I just took him out to potty few minutes ago and I think the wounds have dried up a bit. I'm going to try the hydrotherapy for him. THanks.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
If he's collar conditioned, he should only associate his "e-mails" with commands. I think it could get pretty confusing if you're zapping him for something as natural and ingrained as licking a wound. If it were me, I would be very hesitant to get the collar involved.

If you do feel like he needs collar corrections, make sure you are telling him "NO" before he gets a zap and make sure your timing is dead on.

I apologize if this is patronizing, I really don't know anything about your situation but I've seen a lot of people misuse and abuse the e-collar.

Really, as long as he isn't limping badly or favoring his good leg too much I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs are generally pretty robust. If you are really concerned, "brush slippers" over a dressing could do the trick.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM

751 posts, read 2,482,055 times
Yes you should let your dog lick his wounds unless he is licking exessively. Dogs have an enzyme that speeds up the healing process.

I thought an e-collar was a big plastic gaurd around the dogs head to prevent them from being able to reach stitches on their belly etc. Why would you get a collar to "zap" your dog?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
I think it is electric collar that zaps the dog when you push a button. Battery operated.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM

E-collar is short for Elizabethan Collar. It's the big plastic lampshade-looking thing.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If he's collar conditioned, he should only associate his "e-mails" with commands. I think it could get pretty confusing if you're zapping him for something as natural and ingrained as licking a wound. If it were me, I would be very hesitant to get the collar involved.

If you do feel like he needs collar corrections, make sure you are telling him "NO" before he gets a zap and make sure your timing is dead on.

I apologize if this is patronizing, I really don't know anything about your situation but I've seen a lot of people misuse and abuse the e-collar.

He's talking about a battery operated collar that zaps the dog.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubba View Post
no he's not licking it excessively. I put the collar on him this morning when I was out, but have taken it out now that I am home and am able to watch him. Yesterday the wound was bleeding a little as I was cleaning him up after our day outside. I just took him out to potty few minutes ago and I think the wounds have dried up a bit. I'm going to try the hydrotherapy for him. THanks.

I'm sorry SouthernBelleInUtah, I have to disagree if you're talking about the original poster. Why would he put a remote-controlled shock collar on the dog while he's gone?

I think I might see the confusion. jimboburnsey is clearly talking about a shock collar. I don't believe chubba is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs