Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,947,312 times

Advertisements

We decided to adopt a new dog for our family with plenty of time before winter sets in to work on training, get them trained on the invisible fence. We found a great male dog who is about 2 years old. He is as sweet as can be, needs training but is house trained. We took our dog (female, 4 years) to meet him at a neutral location. She first seemed timid around him but then ignored him. We felt like it was a pretty good match. Our older dog had dealt with other dogs well before so we weren't too worried.

We brought him home and I kept them separate a couple days and then started introducing them. At first she will see afraid but then she snarls and bites at his face. He doesn't seem to respond. I had to have someone watch them this weekend and she said she just made a lot of noise if that happened and then our older dog would stop. I am mostly keeping them apart (they are both very strong dogs, I don't want a full fledged dog fight on my hands!)

Any thoughts? I am trying to get my trainer to come work with us but she is busy and isn't following through with me about calling me back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:17 PM

Older dog escaped from her crate and I found them playing with no noticeable stress.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:22 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,095,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Older dog escaped from her crate and I found them playing with no noticeable stress.
All righty then. I guess she's decided that maybe he's ok. I would still keep an eye on them while feeding, giving treats, playing with high value toys and be sure to give her special time so she doesn't get jealous

Old 08-18-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
All righty then. I guess she's decided that maybe he's ok. I would still keep an eye on them while feeding, giving treats, playing with high value toys and be sure to give her special time so she doesn't get jealous
I think it might be me. When I am around, she gets aggressive. Is it my level of tension? Or just jealousy? This time I kept up the play. I grabbed a toy and stared playing with both of them. Then I guided the older back to her crate and secured it properly.

I do feel very nervous when they are together.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,631,907 times
When Jazz met Dazzle for the first time after I brought him home she acted like she wanted to kill him and he was so nervous. Jazz was 13, Dash was 12 and dealing with nasal cancer and Dazzle was a 8 month old goof ball.Dash loved Dazzle right away but for six months Jazz threatened him so he kept his distsnce.

I was not worried about her hurting him as while she could look vicious she had a very inhibited bite so I let her decide if she wanted to be his friend.After 6 months Dash died so it was the old grump and young goofy and one day it just happened she decided he was rather fun to have around.

Dazzle is a sight hound so is very very fast.Jazz was a border Colilie X cattle dog and had been fast in her day but being a senior had slowed her down some.She owned all toys and Dash and other dogs that knew her knew that and did not mess with toys if she was around.One day Goofy Dazzle picked up a toy squeaked it as he shook it in Jazz's direction.She got up ran at him but by the time she got to him he was across the room so she charged again,same thing. It was like a lightbulb went off in the old dogs brain....This silly hound was funny and this crazy game was fun. After that she decided he was OK and she could be his friend.Sometimes it just takes time.

Good luck with your two.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:13 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,767 times
Not all dogs "get along" all the time and that is fine. Give them each their own place where they can get away from the other dog if they need to.

Feed them separately so they can each eat in peace.

Allow them to work it out; try not to interfere. We humans often misinterpret dog-dog interactions, and our interference can make things worse. As the older established dog, your girl will teach your new dog the rules. It is entirely normal for her to correct him for unacceptable behavior or just to tell him to back off. If you feel that things are getting a bit heated between them, get up and walk between them with a very neutral okay, go settle.

Be fair with them- spend time alone with each of them and also with both of them, but understand that it will take time for them to work it all out.

As well, they are likely picking up on your nervousness, so you need to sort that out and understand that sometimes dogs squabble (just like people). Not everything is a "fight", and sometimes one dog correcting another dog can seem frightening with much gnashing of teeth, but it is largely posturing. So-use management to keep them separated when you aren't around, feed separately, keep toys picked up, and give them each their own quiet spot.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 08-19-2016 at 04:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs