Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times

Advertisements

There are all sorts of articles on line but I would like to know what YOU do which works for you.

My cats are 17 lb Ragdolls and we use those giant under-the-bed storage containers as litter trays. 2 per bathroom. So it's not like I can move them elsewhere. I try to keep them clean every hour or so but sometimes I don't get to them before our new puppy, Teddy. It's gross!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
I don't have a cat anymore, but when I did, I used baby gates. The cats jumped over the gates to get to the cat box and the dogs respected their presence even though they could easily step over them (they are Great Danes, haha).

Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM

50,400 posts, read 64,119,967 times
My daughter has a kitty door in her laundry room door to keep the dog out. I like scooby's baby gate idea.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 AM

965 posts, read 941,159 times
I keep the litterboxes in the garden tub that I don't use. Though I have used a baby gate in the past, when the litterboxes were in the extra bedroom, or a bathroom that had no tub.
Stepping over them is great exercise, except in the middle of the night.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times
I thought of baby gates but my cats are almost 15 and rather limited in jumping ability. Maybe I'll rig something lower than a baby gate which they might be able to use. Suggestions?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:35 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,774,295 times
Nothing worked for me unless it was a physical barrier like a gate. Some pet gates have holes that are big enough for cats but too small for dogs but I'm guessing your dog is about the same size as the cats so that wouldn't work. Hope you find a good solution.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,558,664 times
When we had a cat, we kept the litter pan in our bedroom closet and kept the closet door open enough for the cat to get in but not big enough for our dog. We put a book down on the floor between the door and the door frame to prevent it from closing, and tied a string from the doorknob to the door frame to prevent our dog from opening it wider with her nose. Maybe you'll need a higher barrier than a book to keep your puppy out?

We just learned to hook and unhook the string when we went in and out of the closet. I think it would be much easier doing this with a closet, rather than the bathroom where guests might forget to put things back as they found them. Besides, I think it's gross to put a litter pan in a bathroom where guests have to smell cat poop/pee.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:47 AM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times
When I had a cat I had a covered litter box with the opening turned towards the wall and just enough space for her to get in but the dogs could not.

My parents had big cat and he did not like covered litter boxes and were having troubles with my dogs cleaning the box when we visited them. I bought them a high gate for the room the box was in and it had a cat door in it that said a 15 lb cat could get in the opening I was a bit worried as their cat was about 20lbs as he was big . Well turned out my Dash who was 50 lbs could get through the cat opening and after seeing him do it Phoenix could too,Jazz could not as her chest was too deep and my parents dog Henry was way too big so my dad got a board and fixed it to cover 1/2 the cat door so when I visited my dogs could no longer squeeze through it but their cat still could.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,446,135 times
I use baby gates placed far enough up from the floor that the cats can get under but not the dogs. This doesn't work with small dogs though obviously. We have a hole cut in our basement door to access another box too, but you wouldn't want to do that with a bathroom door I'm sure!!
If you're keeping up with the poop most of the time, I think really the occasional snack is not harmful, disgusting as it might be, if you're sure your cats don't have worms.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,975,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
When we had a cat, we kept the litter pan in our bedroom closet and kept the closet door open enough for the cat to get in but not big enough for our dog. We put a book down on the floor between the door and the door frame to prevent it from closing, and tied a string from the doorknob to the door frame to prevent our dog from opening it wider with her nose. Maybe you'll need a higher barrier than a book to keep your puppy out?

We just learned to hook and unhook the string when we went in and out of the closet. I think it would be much easier doing this with a closet, rather than the bathroom where guests might forget to put things back as they found them. Besides, I think it's gross to put a litter pan in a bathroom where guests have to smell cat poop/pee.
Sorry but this sounds so backwards to me. Poop and pee smells would be more "at home" in the bathroom than in my bedroom closet! What do your clothes smell like with the litter box in the closet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs