Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times

Advertisements

My friend, a petite, single woman, had a scary incident where someone tried to break into her home while she was sleeping. She announced her intention to get a gun. She is profoundly uncomfortable with the idea of firearms however, and describes herself as a pacifist. Since she is a bigtime animal lover who works from home and frequently pet sits for friends, capably managing special veterinary instructions and what not, I suggested she get a dog - preferably one with a horrifying bark - instead. She seemed to really like that idea, and frankly, given her discomfort with guns, I thought it was the safer option for her own sanity.

I have a Catahoula - he's pretty much a marshmallow who has proven repeatedly that he will not bite a human (he just gets really scary, and I've been "testing" him in different situations lately after he freaked out some kids), and his bark is horrifying, especially when he's screaming and biting at the windows. But when I open the door to whoever's knocking, he immediately quiets down, and if let loose, runs to sniff whoever it is, stranger or no, in hopes of having his ears scratched. Seriously, when my mother's boyfriend came over for the first time, he did his usual haka dance in the house and then ran onto the porch and tried to crawl into the guy's lap. I have been told by former criminals who are friends of mine that no one would ever break in and not to waste my money on an alarm.

I think a Houla is too much for my friend to handle - my guy needs constant stimulation if I'm not sitting down or sleeping (thank god he respects naptime!), and I even had to get him a dog of his own to keep him occupied. My kelpie mix (the Houla's dog) is just not intimidating. He barks a lot when someone comes over, but it's a very excited, happy bark, because he loves everyone automatically.

My friend will probably adopt a mutt, but what are some good breeds that she should consider as part of the mix? I have mainly spent my adult life with herding dogs. Personally, I find German Shepherds too neurotic, and I'm not comfortable with advising a rottweiler because they can have really split personalities. My friend is a very gentle and kind-hearted person, but assertive when she has to be. This dog will be with her all the time, and will need to be able to get along with other dogs and kids. Part of me leans towards a pit mix, but I worry that it wouldn't make enough noise. This dog's "job" would be to be a companion, to look intimidating and to make a TON of noise when someone's at the door.

The house is a condo, so not a lot of room. My friend isn't sedentary though, so long walks and hikes would be a part of the equation.

Final add: I know she will be a responsible and devoted dog owner, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested getting a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,813,893 times
Probably good advice since you know her personality. A gun in the hands of a person not willing to use deadly force in their own defense is useless.

While a dog is a good deterrent they won't stop a determined criminal. She needs to look into some other ways to defend herself that do not involve using a gun. Pepper Spray? A blinding strobe flashlight? Stun gun?

I would never count on a dog alone to "save me".

Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Probably good advice since you know her personality. A gun in the hands of a person not willing to use deadly force in their own defense is useless.

While a dog is a good deterrent they won't stop a determined criminal. She needs to look into some other ways to defend herself that do not involve using a gun. Pepper Spray? A blinding strobe flashlight? Stun gun?

I would never count on a dog alone to "save me".
She's open to a taser, but my thought was that an appropriately noisy dog would mean the person would never even approach her home. In any case, criminals that determined are few and far between, and she does not live in a bad or low-population area, and she lives a modest lifestyle, with nothing really worth stealing. She has no stalkers or shady acquaintances, and she's smart enough to keep her door locked.

Whoever tried to break into her house the other day would likely have been scared off by a barking dog, and they eventually did give up and go away, in any case.

I don't expect my dog to intervene against an intruder, but anyone with a shred of self-preservation is not going to test him. He sounds like the apocalypse, and my neighbors are close enough that they would know something was going on immedately. She needs something similar.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:15 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,218,179 times
I just did one of those quickie dog breed selectors and it came up with (drum roll.........)

The Australian Cattle Dog

With the following as "runners-up":

Border Collie
Finnish Spitz
Corgi (either Pembroke or Cardigan)
Polish Lowland Sheepdog
American Water Spaniel
English Cocker

And that's just me putting in random info but specifying that the dog needs to get along with others but also be a good "alarm" dog.

You might be able to come up with other ideas either doing the quizzes on behalf of your friend, or having her do it.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,619,714 times
People kill dogs very often in home invasions. Dogs always try to help their families, but they can't overcome weapons. My dog would give her life for me, but I don't want that. She can and will let me know if she hears something. Then I'll take over.

Dogs are living creatures, not expendable tools.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:27 PM

965 posts, read 940,859 times
Unless she wants a puppy I would say choose a 45-70 pound, black non-descript dog, and make sure it will use its bark. People are more afraid of black dogs than any other color, and there are many rescues out there that take in only, or mostly black dogs. Also dogs with prick ears are scarier to most people than floppy ears.

A heeler mix might do, but you know herding breeds and heeler need ther stimulation they will bark, and usually back it up, but they are somewhat discerning about what needs back-up. I mean to say they won't usually bite unless provoked to protect what is theirs. Same for an Aussie, or Aussie mix.

I agree, except for the watch dog part, I would say a pit mix too, but haven't known many to really bark, or even act scary. HOA might be an issue in a condo, and if not I would say she could end up with neighbor issues if anyone is afraid of pits.
A boxer mixed with something that barks (and a lot of people say boxer X when it is pit X). Hounds make horrible sounds when anyone appears, but pretty sure they wouldn't back it up, or look scary now that I think of it.

My black GSD makes people take a step back, and he is a baby. But it is hard to find a steady, healthy GSD. If she went the rescue route for a GSD, Or GSD mix she'd know what she was getting. I love Dobermans, but like Rottweilers they have so many health issues.

Labs mixed with pit, or herding, and working breeds can sometimes be just perfect, especially for what she might need.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Get BOTH and get training!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:46 PM

509 posts, read 1,263,239 times
I would suggest you look into the profile of Great Pyrenees. They are BIG dogs, especially the males. Their size alone is quite intimidating. Their bark is deep and matches their size. They protect their herd. And their family becomes their herd.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,772,350 times
If she's in a condo I wouldn't recommend a Great Pyrenees or a GSD. GSDs can have rock solid nerves, you just need to buy them from the right breeder be willing to pay what they charge.

Most condos have weight/breed restrictions so she needs to be sure and check on them first. Also keep in mind that a good watchdog will bark at a lot of things (not just when someone's at the door) and depending on how thin the walls are it might be an issue for the neighbors. You may be able to train them to bark less but you may not.

Several of the breeds that are good guardians/watch dogs are not generally good with other dogs (of course there are individual exceptions).

I'll second the recommendation for a medium-sized, black mixed breed. People seem to find black dogs most intimidating.

I'd also recommend that she upgrade her alarm system (get one that's monitored, doors and windows wired and glass break alarms), make sure that her door is well lit at night, maybe install some cameras and make sure she has plenty of signs advertising the system. The police department in her area may offer a free home security check where an officer will come to the house and make suggestions on what could be done to improve security.

I have GSDs but I have a monitored alarm system as well. Also as someone else mentioned, if a burgler really wants in, they'll just kill the dog.

I do think you're right about the gun if she is uncomfortable around them. If she isn't 1000% sure she can pull the trigger, it will be more dangerous for her to have on than not.

She could also keep a can of wasp spray/mace etc. by the bed.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:38 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,141,790 times
A black labrador retriever, 4 yrs old or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs