Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 03:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times

Advertisements

For his whole working career, my good friend traveled so much he felt he could not properly take care fo a dog at home. When he retired he carefully researched blood lines and breeders to get just the right golden retriever.

The day he got his 4 month old puppy he was ecstatic. He enrolled him in training, had him microchipped, got all his flea and tick and heartworm meds. The toys and clothes came from well wishers. Now just 6 months later we learn his beloved dog died after ingesting something in most of our homes but few warn about. He had two surgeries, lost 6 inches of intestines but just could not recover.

What did he eat? He ate a pair of the wife's underpants. Anybody with dogs knows they love chewing on ladies underwear. They tried to break him of the habit and tried to keep these items out of his reach but apparently when they weren't home the pup dug through the laundry basket and found some. My friend and his wife are so heartsick. They both are so depressed. And of course the wife is full of guilt even though it really wasn't her fault.

We are a family of 1 man and 3 women. I've had to take a pair or two of the girls' bikini underwear away from Teddy but it never dawned on me he could actually swallow something like that. Now we are putting all underwear in a mesh bag on top of the washing machine. No more tossing underpants on the laundry pile, in the laundry baskets or leaving them on the floor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:27 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,176,776 times
One of the great benefits of crate-training and then watching a dog and being aware of what they are doing. Never had a trouble with a dog doing that in all the years of my long life. We have always had female dogs, does that make a difference? No, I had no idea there were dogs that liked to chew women's under pants. Don't they like men's?

Well, I can't help it, I find this confusing.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,600,334 times
Growing up we had a Gordon Setter that loved women's undies . He did not eat them but rather would steal a pair and rush out the pet door and put it in the dog house with all his beloved treasures he kept in it. When my cousin was going to UCLA she came to spend a weekend and we forgot to tell her to keep her suit case closed so he got in it and took all of her undies out to his "treasure house". He only stole woman's...humm maybe he was a secret cross dresser!

My friend that was a puppy raiser for guide dogs for the blind so always had labs or golden puppies could tell some great stories of all the things they ate .Often they did not even know until the items were pooped out. She was lucky as none of the items ever caused any issues it always came out in the end for them. They had to be very careful as it seems both breeds tend to eat what ever they find even rocks!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,423,518 times
That is a tough one. Even with the mesh bag trick need to maintain constant vigilance. Even clean ones are of interest to a dog.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,901,409 times
I cant imagine blaming the new pet dad. Every dog I have had has eaten things I didn't expect them to eat. And I don't freak out about my undies. They find what they want. It could be in a hamper and any time alone (even a couple minutes) they will find a way.

But I will say my dogs have eaten tons of stuff they shouldn't, despite my vigilance. And I try hard to be on top of things. I have a dog with a starvation disease (she thinks she is starving, she isn't). So she eats a lot of non-food things. I am doing my best.

My first dog ate 3 small boxes (tiny boxes) of raisins. My 6 year old knocked them on the floor when getting his snack. She almost died. Luckily I got her to the vet and she stayed alive way past her live expectancy on a kidney diet.

People do the best they can.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
One of the great benefits of crate-training and then watching a dog and being aware of what they are doing. Never had a trouble with a dog doing that in all the years of my long life. We have always had female dogs, does that make a difference? No, I had no idea there were dogs that liked to chew women's under pants. Don't they like men's?

Well, I can't help it, I find this confusing.
I have a male dog, he has never gotten into my underwear or chewed any of my clothes. I don't think I've ever had a dog that was interested in such things. I'm not always the tidiest of people, I sometimes have dirty clothes on the bedroom floor, or clothes sitting in the laundry basket needing to be put away. Its never been a problem in the 7 years I've had him.Now, I have found him napping on top of my clothes, and he has also pulled clean clothes out of the laundry basket to lay on. As if a t-shirt is going to be more comfortable then his bed or even the carpet.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,158,930 times
I think this just falls under a very unfortunate accident. I have known dogs that eat underwear and go after maxi pads in the trash. I knew a co worker that almost lost her dog due to it digesting panty hose. Oprah Winfrey lost a dog that swallowed a ball. My cat zapped himself pretty good chewing on christmas lights. Then there are dogs that simply don't chew or eat anything they shouldn't. You try to do your best to protect pets but sometimes they get into things. I think crate training is a good practice over all to keep them out of trouble.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,602,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I have a male dog, he has never gotten into my underwear or chewed any of my clothes. I don't think I've ever had a dog that was interested in such things. I'm not always the tidiest of people, I sometimes have dirty clothes on the bedroom floor, or clothes sitting in the laundry basket needing to be put away. Its never been a problem in the 7 years I've had him.Now, I have found him napping on top of my clothes, and he has also pulled clean clothes out of the laundry basket to lay on. As if a t-shirt is going to be more comfortable then his bed or even the carpet.

That's been my experience. My chocolate lab has never eaten any clothing or chewed any shoes. In fact, she knows which toys are hers and which belong to the grandchildren, and has never chewed on any of their toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs