Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

I looked for a thread that addressed my concerns but didn't find one. My wife and I are going on vacation to Mexico next month. We are boarding our two Great Danes, one of whom is an old girl and the other one who is disabled (deaf), at a trusted petsitter who takes them into her home. I have used her for years and she is wonderful with them. This is our second vacation to Mexico, and the first trip I was woefully unprepared for the lack of communication issue due to being out of the country. I don't want to be unprepared this time, especially with two special dogs.

There are two (actually three) issues at hand: keeping money on file at the vet, choosing the vet for them in the event of an emergency, and staying in contact with the petsitter (I'll call her Laurel). Laurel lives rather far from us, about 45 minutes, so our dogs' regular vet is nowhere near her home. I'm thinking about calling the vet closest to Laurel, explaining the situation and leaving a pet profile, and leaving them a credit card, but is that financially safe? Or should I leave a check with Laurel? I do trust Laurel and my regular vet has cc information on file, but our vet is way too far for her to drive them if the worst happens.

The other issue is Laurel calling me in Mexico. Fortunately this isn't a cruise, so I think I can get a short term phone plan with AT&T so I can call/text her and make sure everything is OK. Unfortunately, they aren't TMobile, so I don't get free texts to Mexico. It's a major city in Mexico (Zihuatanejo), so I don't think the signal will be a problem. AT&T told me calls cost much more than texts only, so I'm wondering if it is worth it to do the week long calling plan I would need as opposed to texts, because I can't add features on once I'm there. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
ular vet has cc information on file, but our vet is way too far for her to drive them if the worst happens.

The other issue is Laurel calling me in Mexico. Fortunately this isn't a cruise, so I think I can get a short term phone plan with AT&T so I can call/text her and make sure everything is OK. Unfortunately, they aren't TMobile, so I don't get free texts to Mexico. It's a major city in Mexico (Zihuatanejo), so I don't think the signal will be a problem. AT&T told me calls cost much more than texts only, so I'm wondering if it is worth it to do the week long calling plan I would need as opposed to texts, because I can't add features on once I'm there. Thanks for any input.
Do email instead. Also there is something called Pinger Text free. You can text from your computer, so if you can get online on the ship you can log on and send of recieve texts.. I used to use it to text a friend before I got a smart phone. You might not have wifi but maybe they have an area where you can go online.

If it's a licensed vet I have not problem leaving my cc there. And you should be protected for fraudulent charges. No vet is going to ruin their business by stealing from you

Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
If the vet near Laurel is trustworthy, you should be OK having a credit card on file there. I would do that at my vet. If you leave a check with Laurel, it would probably need to be made out to her unless you make prior arrangements with the vet. I'm not sure a lot of businesses would take a check from a person who was not on the account.

I'd also leave a letter with Laurel addressed to whom it may concern that she is authorized to make medical decisions regarding your pet in the event you can't be reached.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
I wouldn't leave them except in an emergency. There are just too many things that could go wrong. I have a twelve year old who lost her old pal and pack leader two years ago. She's very dependent on me and needs me around. I've had old dogs for the past five years. I have only left them when I had to have hip surgery and for a couple of medical appointments out of town.

Mexico will still be there in five years. Your dogs probably won't.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:30 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
AT&T offers a Global Roaming package that includes a data plan as well as minutes, so you'd be able to text (and use the GPS maps on your smartphone, if you have a smartphone) as well as call while you're in Mexico. Ask them about it. You may have to pay for a month's worth of service rather than by the week, but it's worth it.

I agree with Rowan's advice to leave a letter with your petsitter authorizing to act on your pets' behalf regarding medical decisions, and with your plan to call the vet nearest Laurel to discuss the situation and leave a credit card number with his office just in case.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
If the vet near Laurel is trustworthy, you should be OK having a credit card on file there. I would do that at my vet. If you leave a check with Laurel, it would probably need to be made out to her unless you make prior arrangements with the vet. I'm not sure a lot of businesses would take a check from a person who was not on the account.

I'd also leave a letter with Laurel addressed to whom it may concern that she is authorized to make medical decisions regarding your pet in the event you can't be reached.
That's a good idea. I hadn't considered that my calling the vet would not be enough to authorize Laurel to take them in the event of an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I wouldn't leave them except in an emergency. There are just too many things that could go wrong. I have a twelve year old who lost her old pal and pack leader two years ago. She's very dependent on me and needs me around. I've had old dogs for the past five years. I have only left them when I had to have hip surgery and for a couple of medical appointments out of town.

I respect your view, but I do not share it. Most pet owners need a break from their pets, and we are no exception. My dogs do very well with Laurel. (My senior is only 6.5 years old too). We go on vacation twice a year and take the occasional weekend trip as well, and Laurel spoils them and lets them sleep on her couch. I can tell they are happy with her because when I drop them off, they suddenly forget all about me and run inside excitedly to hang out with her, her daughter, and her other pets. She has a deaf Catahoula Leopard dog and my deaf Dane LOVES playing with her. She doesn't ever have the chance to spend time with other deaf animals. Every pet owner needs to do what is best for them and their animals. I think our dogs need a vacation from us too

Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

That's a special case. Not applicable to all pet owners IMO.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM

530 posts, read 358,651 times
The cheapest and easiest way to stay in contact with your pet sitter is to have WhatsApp installed on both your cell phones. All you need is internet connection to stay in touch. You can exchange texts and also make free "phone" calls via the app.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Yes, WhatsApp, for sure, assuming there is any reception whatsoever. I texted with my son, at no charge, in Afghanistan.

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-07-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
As long as you have contact, somehow with your cell or computer,I think you will feel better.

Calling the other vet, and giving oral instructions, and leaving a cc # would be a good start too. I called mine from the airport once because I started to worry about something (of course not a new vet).

Maybe let your own vet know too, in case they might have to release records.

Then also leave written signed instructions with your petsitter (maybe take the same letter to that vet).
I have left instructions many times in regards to my reactive dog, with the vet, kennel, and my grown children.
Recently I went to Mexico when I had an old dog, but my daughter was the caretaker, and like you we had no issues going in. My friend had added to her plan so I could use her phone if I needed to.
No matter what it is much better to plan ahead so you don't have to stress. The dogs pick up your stress when you are leaving, so better to avoid that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs