Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,951 times

Advertisements

I have a new yorkie male who is 11 weeks. We're on MN and it's winter so this creates a huge problem with outside training that I am accustomed to. He just freezes up immediately. I have researched on many sites, crate train vs play pen...pee pads. Do the go in the pen or not!? This guy will pee and then come in and pee again 2 minutes later. Pooping has been easy because he has a huge tell. But he pees whenever and I think he'll not make it going outside all winter and I need an inside option that can convert to outside. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 04:23 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Get a Cat litter box & Train him to use it. Come spring you can train him for outside. I use Newspaper in my Paps litter box.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
My sister has what looks like a play yard with a pee pee pad in it. She trained her Maltese to use the pee pee pad by putting her in there, repeating "go potty" and then giving her a treat when she did her business.

The play yard thing is on the patio so they never have to go outside. However once your dog is acclimated to something like that I would just go with pee pee pads so your dog doesn't feel he can only potty if he has the whole set-up. My sister's dog won't pee anywhere else which can be a problem sometimes.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:59 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
When Warm weather come take the Litter Box outside.... whan the dog goes looking for it take him out let him use it. After a Week or so what ever you are using in the box take out of the box After another week or so Don't use any thing but take him to the Spot. Now your dog is going out side & Next winter you can show him his winter potty. Litter Box is also great for Summer Storms when he just has to go! Travel! etc.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
If you train the dog to go inside, you are in for problems to EVER get him to not just go inside. Take him outside you will be glad you did!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 10,951 times
Thanks for all of this info. I do have a play pen set up with a pee pad. He's actually been pooping outside 100%, it the potty that's the trouble now. He'll go outside but come in and go again in 2 minutes. I have a crate also but I found he peed in it. I work full time and can't leave him in there for 9 hours. My dad stops over at noon to try and let him out then puts him in the pen vs the crate. Can food be kept in the pen if there is a potty pad in there also? I know it can be trouble to have them go in and outside, but I figure some outside is better than none and I'll always have to use,some sort of pad during the day if I can't let him out until after work correct?

Old 12-14-2016, 01:53 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I have a yorkie/poo puppy and she is 4 months old now. I also have a 4 year old yorkie/poo. I am home all the time so they both go outside in the cold because I want nothing to do with pee pads and never used them. I don't walk them when it's cold or the snow is too deep. We are in the middle of this right now posted on our local news site: "Record breaking snowfall amounts, zero visibility, and dangerous windchills will all be in the mix from late Wednesday into Thursday"

They just go out and do their business and right back inside.

I understand you using them OP, because you aren't home enough to let your puppy out. I think he should be fine using both the pee pads and going outside when you can take him.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
When we first got our bulldog pup, we made her potty in this large plastic square box....low sides. She didn't want to, but like you describe, it was a severe N.D. winter. We used cat litter, and made her use this plastic bin for a few weeks, we kept it in our enclosed back porch . We had no problem transitioning her to outside.

ETA Anytime you feed him, you need to be able to take him out to potty. Eating triggers there bowels.

I'd feed him before work, and after work. Sounds like your Dad is helping mid day.....I would use the playpen, better than a crate imo. Enjoy your pup!

Old 12-14-2016, 05:42 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
I had a 5 month old puppy who was trained to pads. She was really good using them also. When I retired I took her out and she never wanted to use pads again. Another puppy because of cold and winter was paper trained which worked til she did the rip and tear with paper. Then snow or not it was out to potty-

Old 12-14-2016, 06:10 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,269 times
https://www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Pet-P...dogs+to+pee+on

We just had to put down our 5 year old Afghan Hound due to a brain tumor. We trained him on the above by putting soiled urine soaked papers on the bottom and this kept him high and dry out of the mess. The holes in the 2nd layer allow the urine to pass to the bottom where you can put a we wee pad, newspaper or both.

We just got a 12 week puppy and we live in Northern Michigan where there is over a foot of snow outside and wind chill is minus 15 tonight. I don't even want to go outside. We have had our new puppy for almost 3 weeks and have had maybe 6 mistakes in the house since we got him. The secret is putting the soiled papers on the tray before the drain piece and astroturf. He goes there because he can smell that he went there before. The mistakes only happened when we weren't quick enough to get his leash on to take him to the garage where we keep the tray. It is an awesome product and can be bought in multiple sizes......We have a boat and keeping this on the balcony allows us to always take our dog with us when we overnight at anchor. Everyone else is taking their dog to shore to pee in the middle of the night in a rain storm.

BTW....unless you limit water to an exact schedule it is not unusual for a puppy that young to pee 3 times in a half hour if he has free access to water any time he wants it....I don't limit water because our puppy now goes to the door to go out to the garage so it doesn't matter to me how often he has to go.

The beauty of this product is that you can even use it after they are grown up.. If we left our adult dog for a long day we would put this in our entry by the door and we didn't have to worry about how long we were gone.

Just had another thought....My dog chews on we weee pads but leaves this alone...

I also bought an extra grass pad because he won't go on it if it isn't dry so I alternate the pads and he always has a dry one and it never smells bad

Last edited by 68551; 12-14-2016 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs