Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:29 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoregirl8 View Post
........I had animal control visit. After the visit they and the rental office said they want picture proof because they lied and said they leash the dogs. .......
So get some photos. That's what it takes to solve your problem. You can't expect management or animal control to just take your word for it. Get them lots of photos. Time and date stamped on several different occasions.

In fact, if they walk the dogs near your house, a game cam is cheap and you could get video of their dogs wandering loose.

I agree that the neighbors are rude, but there is nothing that anyone on the internet can do for you. Get the photos that you were requested to provide.

And, read this with genuine concern, get some counseling to get control of your dog fear. There are going to be dogs everywhere you go, and many of them are going to be big dogs. At least get the fear under enough control so that you can throttle it down to concern and not actual fear. You are well advised to learn how to not trigger aggression by your own behavior. Maybe a few lessons from an animal behaviorist to teach the best way to behave so you do not trigger an attack.

I am not accusing you of being at fault in any way, but you are making yourself miserable when you don't really need to do that to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 02:51 PM

8,577 posts, read 11,000,637 times
As founder of the center for leash law enforcement in Los Angeles, I have found the" squeaky wheel gets the grease".
In other words, speak up, and make waves.

Over the years, I have handed out many, many pieces of information to people I have come across that have their dog(s) unleashed.
The literature explains the leash law, and the consequences for failing to abide by the law.
This action alone has had tremendous success.
People that use to have their dogs off leash, now have them leashed when out in public.
Not all but most.
There is always going to be those few who disregard all laws, such as the fellow tenant you describe in your original post.

Early on, it was a battle to get animal control to do their job, so I decided to take it one step further, and get the city council involved.
I arranged a private meeting with my local council member(that in itself was a daunting task), and went over the issue of animal control not doing their job.

As usual, I was told funding was the problem as to why animal control wouldn't respond when called.
I didn't settle for that stupid answer, and told the councilman I would be taking legal action against the city, and the city council, and animal control if the problems were not addressed.
One of the first things to happen shortly after that meeting was, the city council nearly doubled the fine for having an unleashed dog.
This told me someone was listening.

I hounded animal control to post signs to keep "one's dog on leash" while in the park, in three parks I walk my Shepherd.
Once again, the threat of city council involvement was enough to get signs erected in those three parks.
It took about three months, but signs were finally put in place.

So, if animal control is not doing their job, you have alternatives.
Contact your elected city officials, and ask for their help.

All municipalities do not want to get involved in legal matters that could wind up in court.

Be strong and to the point when dealing with city officials, and let them know you are not going to back down.

I, and my organization , are living proof , "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Bob.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And, read this with genuine concern, get some counseling to get control of your dog fear. There are going to be dogs everywhere you go, and many of them are going to be big dogs. At least get the fear under enough control so that you can throttle it down to concern and not actual fear. You are well advised to learn how to not trigger aggression by your own behavior. Maybe a few lessons from an animal behaviorist to teach the best way to behave so you do not trigger an attack.

I am not accusing you of being at fault in any way, but you are making yourself miserable when you don't really need to do that to yourself.
OP

Correct. If you show fear, even if internal, to a dog; it will sense this. Oregon is right. Get counsel on how to react around 4 leggers.

Dogs are great best friends. I hope you get over this.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:04 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
As founder of the center for leash law enforcement in Los Angeles, I have found the" squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Over the years, I have handed out many, many pieces of information to people I have come across that have their dog(s) unleashed.
The literature explains the leash law, and the consequences for failing to abide by the law.
People that use to have their dogs off leash, now have them leashed when out in public.
Not all but most.
There is always going to be those few who disregard all laws, such as the fellow tenant you describe in your original post.

Early on, it was a battle to get animal control to do their job, so I decided to take it one step further, and get the city council involved.
I arranged a private meeting with my local council member(that in itself was a daunting task), and went over the issue of animal control not doing their job.

As usual, I was told funding was the problem as to why animal control wouldn't respond when called.
I didn't settle for that stupid answer, and told the councilman I would be taking legal action against the city, and the city council, and animal control if the problems were not addressed.
One of the first things to happen shortly after that meeting was, the city council nearly doubled the fine for having an unleashed dog.

I hounded animal control to post signs to keep "one's dog on leash" while in the park, in three parks I walk my Shepherd.
Once again, the threat of city council involvement was enough to get signs erected in those three parks.

All municipalities do not want to get involved in legal matters that could wind up in court.

Be strong and to the point when dealing with city officials, and let them know you are not going to back down.

I, and my organization , are living proof , "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Bob.
You posted such a Long post for NOTHING! She been told By her Landlord & her local Dog Warden to take pictures! ALL they want is that Proof so it wont be he said she said! She keeps bringing up her wanting to confront the guy but scared to Boy friend not wanting to move to being scared of dogs !! When the Problem is She wont take a simple picture as Proof of the Neighbor Breaking the Leash laws! She cant claim that the Law is Not doing it job nor the LL... IT HER not doing anything to Prove her side.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:47 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,036,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Not all but most.

Bob.
Impressive, and thank you for what you did. I heard quite a while back that California has very strong leash laws, and I've often wondered how that came to be.

You've given me some ammo to use when I contact my city leaders. I know from what I've seen that animal control is not on their radar, but perhaps I can manage to change some minds. Maybe you can fight city hall.

Thanks so much.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,301,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Impressive, and thank you for what you did. I heard quite a while back that California has very strong leash laws, and I've often wondered how that came to be.

You've given me some ammo to use when I contact my city leaders. I know from what I've seen that animal control is not on their radar, but perhaps I can manage to change some minds. Maybe you can fight city hall.

Thanks so much.
I wish you good luck and good results with this.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:59 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
And how *good* is your boyfriend when he has chosen his liking an apartment over your being safe?

Move or don't, your choice.
I definitely agree that the bf is not acting accordingly and maybe you should move and find a new bf ...sorry sometimes the truth hurts .

Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,036,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I now live where 2 female (unsprayed) pitbulls reside in a fenced yard behind me. They have gotten loose on occasion. They killed one of their puppies right in front of me one day about 4 months ago, and just yesterday, killed another small dog that I don't know where they got. I couldn't get close enough to identify the dead dog to see if it lived there or was dragged into their yard after a horrendous commotion that was what got my attention in the first place.

Good Lord, I'm embarrassed. Did I really type UNSPRAYED? That's as bad as SPAYDED.

I'll blame it on spellcheck.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,570,251 times
Some people are so disrespectful. I went through this with my neighbors over a year ago. We ended up moving. I took videos, photos, etc., no one cared, not even a judge after a court battle. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:03 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,552,727 times
I have no idea why anyone who owns rentals would allow pets of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs