Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times

Advertisements

I have a Maltese and a Maltipoo who, of course, are white. The Maltese especially has red stains and bad eye boogers. We've tried all sorts of things from wipes, changing food, drops, etc to clear up his red stains but nothing works. And his eye boogers get all crusty and cling to his white fur which hurts when I try to pick them out. The Maltipoo, Teddy, paws at his eyes every morning trying to get rid of them too. I'm sure they bother him. I remember the ease of cleaning eyes of short- haired dogs. Long haired dogs are a different thing.

What do handlers of show dogs do about eye boogers and red stains? How do you handle them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,415,072 times
My dog is black, so I can't address how to stop the red stains. But I do clean around my dogs eyes every 2-3 days with a damp paper towel. They're easier to maintain if it's done on a frequent basis.

If he's pawing at his eyes, then it's certainly bothering him.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,960,436 times
My Malti-Poo gets the eye stains too - no matter what I do, I've tried the wipes, Angel Eyes etc... it's just something with white dogs I think - he gets no "processed" food or treats. I cook for him, and his "treats' are chicken jerky - that I make or cheese. I wipe his eye area with a warm wet washcloth every couple of days that that helps, but I know for him I have to keep his eye area trimmed short.... I find the tears are worse when it's getting time to be groomed, I will trim carefully to keep it short. He also gets the "eye boogers" and he lets me wipe them off with a tissue. I have a vet in Savannah tell me the eye stains come from too much yeast in their food... but he doesn't eat anything that has yeast.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM

22,871 posts, read 6,447,572 times
My peke, a white/cream color, gets goop in his eyes, I just wipe the junk away several times
during the day when he is sitting on my lap. That keeps him from getting the staining eye discharge.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
My Malti-Poo gets the eye stains too - no matter what I do, I've tried the wipes, Angel Eyes etc... it's just something with white dogs I think - he gets no "processed" food or treats. I cook for him, and his "treats' are chicken jerky - that I make or cheese. I wipe his eye area with a warm wet washcloth every couple of days that that helps, but I know for him I have to keep his eye area trimmed short.... I find the tears are worse when it's getting time to be groomed, I will trim carefully to keep it short. He also gets the "eye boogers" and he lets me wipe them off with a tissue. I have a vet in Savannah tell me the eye stains come from too much yeast in their food... but he doesn't eat anything that has yeast.
I've read before Angel Eyes is not good for them. Wonder how professional dog show folks handle this problem?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 PM

6,621 posts, read 6,557,302 times
My 4 year old yorkie/poo gets tear stains and I'm trying something that a friend recommended. She owned a white Bichon Frise that had horrible tear stains and she told me she started using eye makeup remover and it worked like a charm.

For all of those who want to jump all over me for using a human product: I'm very careful, but figure if it's safe for us, it's safe for her if I accidently wipe too close to her eyes.

The tear stains are fading but not gone yet and the wipes don't seem to bother her at all. (I use Oil of Olay wipes) It takes my makeup off with no problems...
Fingers crossed that it will work for my dog too. Will keep you posted...

Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
This would bother me too. I guess that's why I chose a dachshund. He gets
them once in awhile, but I just remove them with my finger. No biggy.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM

635 posts, read 401,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
My 4 year old yorkie/poo gets tear stains and I'm trying something that a friend recommended. She owned a white Bichon Frise that had horrible tear stains and she told me she started using eye makeup remover and it worked like a charm.

For all of those who want to jump all over me for using a human product: I'm very careful, but figure if it's safe for us, it's safe for her if I accidently wipe too close to her eyes.

The tear stains are fading but not gone yet and the wipes don't seem to bother her at all. (I use Oil of Olay wipes) It takes my makeup off with no problems...
Fingers crossed that it will work for my dog too. Will keep you posted...
I'm going to have to get some of those TODAY! My two white poodles have red tear stains and nothing I've tried so far has worked. Thanks for the tip gouligann.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:36 PM

278 posts, read 252,724 times
My vet recommended doing weekly warm compresses, with a light rag or paper towel dipped in warm water. She squirms, a bit, but it has worked like a charm, over time! No more pink eye rings and the crusties wash right out! I dip it and apply it about 2 or three times to wet the area, so the offending bugger comes right out!
I use warmed bottled or filtered water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs