Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times

Advertisements

I just found out that I have to go east for a job. I work from home 90% of the time and travel 10%, and my dogs have never had to board for longer than a week at a time.

I am planning on driving, so that my dogs can come with me, but they will still have to board for 3 weeks. I have family in the east and there is a kennel near my parent's house that is run by wonderful people who will let my family visit my pups, since I will not be able to. But these are my kids! They are with me all the time and sleep on my bed. I've never been away from them for so long and it breaks my heart. What if they think I've abandoned them?

Have you boarded your dogs for an extended period? Were they okay? I've been a basket case since I talked to my boss this morning.

Please, please tell me that I'm being ridiculous and overreacting and that my dogs will be fine.

Last edited by tdna; 11-09-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I just found out that I have to go east for a job. I work from home 90% of the time and travel 10%, and my dogs have never had to board for longer than a week at a time.

I am planning on driving, so that my dogs can come with me, but they will still have to board for 3 weeks. I have family in the east and there is a kennel near my parent's house that is run by wonderful people who will let my family visit my pups, since I will not be able to. But these are my kids! They are with me all the time and sleep on my bed. I've never been away from them for so long and it breaks my heart. What if they think I've abandoned them?

Have you boarded your dogs for an extended period? We're they okay? I've been a basket case since I talked to my boss this morning.

Please, please tell me that I'm being ridiculous and overreacting and that my dogs will be fine.

You aren't overreacting, but your kids (aka dogs) WILL be fine. They won't think they've been abandoned! It's in their favor that they've been boarded before, and you've always come to pick them up. They also have the comfort of being together. They'll be cared for by wonderful people and will see your family. You may miss them more than they miss you

We boarded our dogs for the first time in October (just a night) and are boarding them again this Thurs-Monday. I think the people at the boarding place think I am a nut with all the instructions and information I give. It's hard being away from our babies, but whether it's for a week or three weeks, your dogs will be fine After they get home they probably won't even remember the 3 weeks away!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
They will be okay. Once, I had to go on an extended work trip, that turned into almost the whole summer. I actually called the boarders, and they were afraid I had LEFT Mickey there...and dumped him. I told them that was not the case, and paid a month in advance. He was fine when I picked him up, a bit fatter, but apparently he was the King there, and had plenty of attnetion. He did not miss me at all. Someone else filled up his food dish, he was fine. We are pretty replaceable..believe it or not. You miss them, more than they will miss you...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I boarded 2 dogs once, for 6 weeks. They acted the same as if they were there for a long weekend. I read somewhere that dogs have a time concept of one day, maybe 2 days, but then it's just "time." One week is the same as 5 weeks.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I've never boarded a pup for longer than four weeks. It all turned out fine. If you can, leave your dogs with something - blanket, sheet, sweater - that has your scent on it. Maybe supply their favorite food and toys as well.

You're certainly not being ridiculous. You're their mom, it's expected! I agree with ^^^ post; your kids will be fine!

EDIT: JUst like to mention that at my fav boarding kennel they have several dogs who've stayed there over a year. Family traveled all over the world. That's a bit much in my opinion, but they dogs were well and happy. Goes to their concept of time, as stated above.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
EDIT: JUst like to mention that at my fav boarding kennel they have several dogs who've stayed there over a year. Family traveled all over the world. That's a bit much in my opinion, but they dogs were well and happy. Goes to their concept of time, as stated above.
A year? Wow, that's a long time.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
A year? Wow, that's a long time.
Yeah, I know....they were the kind of people for whom dogs were just another piece of furniture that one is supposed to have. Not a great way to bond...but maybe that was the point. Pretty sad...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post

Have you boarded your dogs for an extended period? Were they okay? I've been a basket case since I talked to my boss this morning.

How many dogs do you have? Will they be able to stay in the same kennel run?
Three weeks they should be fine.
I had a kennel for a couple of years and worked for one for a couple of years before that. IMO 2 months should be the limit. I've seen dogs who have stayed in a kennel for up to six months and even with walking and attention they get depressed. We had this one customer when I worked for a kennel in FL and the lady had to work out of town. She had two dogs that came in every week and stayed the whole week. They only went home on weekend and it was only Friday night to Sunday night. I felt so sad for those dogs. I couldn't understand why she even had them.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
As you may know from a previous thread, Artie was in prison (quarantined) for two weeks. It was at a boarding facility.

He is NOT a social dog. He barked himself into laryngitis (too bad that was short-lived, actually). I was a complete MESS the whole time. He was NOT allowed visitors.

And?

He was FINE.

The biggest blessing will be if your dogs can stay together in the same "room." If that's the case, you're golden! And even if they can't... the fact that Artie was fine afterwards is the best guarantee that I can give you that your dogs will be fine. I promise.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
As you may know from a previous thread, Artie was in prison (quarantined) for two weeks. It was at a boarding facility.

He is NOT a social dog. He barked himself into laryngitis (too bad that was short-lived, actually). I was a complete MESS the whole time. He was NOT allowed visitors.

And?

He was FINE.

The biggest blessing will be if your dogs can stay together in the same "room." If that's the case, you're golden! And even if they can't... the fact that Artie was fine afterwards is the best guarantee that I can give you that your dogs will be fine. I promise.

Sometimes (not all the time) it's harder on the dogs if the family comes to visit and then the family leaves. I've seen dogs that didn't care one way or the other. We always had an open door policy, but warned people that it wasn't always in the best interest of the pet.
I always thought it was funny when people would say that their pet had seperation anxiety. It was usually the people that got the anxiety. The dogs usually didn't care, especially if they are treated well and get exercised regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs