Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times

Advertisements

OP, I have a big, very strong pup who is terrible about eating rocks. Mine wears a greyhound muzzle when she is outside. It's comfortable enough for her and who knows how many surgeries for blockage it has prevented. A greyhound muzzle won't fit a Rott, but someone somewhere makes a muzzle to fit that dog. Rock eating is a serious health hazard.

A couple of suggestions. Stop letting the dog decide the pace of your walks. Take that control back. You decide where you go, how fast you go, and if and when he is allowed to pee on a bush. When I walk my dogs, we are moving briskly, with the dog on a short leash and a loose "heel". The dogs are not allowe to sniff and pee until I stop and give them permission.

That does not hurt the dog's enjoyment of the walk. It improves their manners, puts me more in the control position, and it is much better exercise than lollygagging around from pee spot to pee spot.

I'd do a exercise called controlled walking, where you change directions every time the dog pulls on the leash or ignores your location. Then you laugh about it and make it a fun game, but the dog very quickly learns to always know where you are going.

I suggest an obedience class and you need to have a qualified instructor show you how to properly use a prong collar.

Halti is a good tool, but might not work so well on a dog with a short snout.

Trying to crawl into your lap is most likely not dominance, but if you don't want it, don't allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I was lucky in the way I was able to train my dogs because I had a heavybag in the basement of the residence I was staying in at the time. I had two pitbulls during the period and they were both trying to disrespect me, so I took them downstairs and beat on the heavy bag and stared them down.

They both looked scared, so after that they realized who the dominant dog was in the house. I feel like with aggressive dog breeds, you have to show them who is in charge by the display of strength and aggression.
Oh my- this was wrong on so many levels. Of course they both looked scared; staring at a dog is an aggressive act; when a dog is thinking about starting something serious with another dog they give a hard frozen start. Why on earth would you want to frighten your dog into submission instead of actively teaching them how to be a willing engaged life companion. It is never a good idea to suppress behaviors.

And I may add- there is no such thing as an aggressive dog "breed". Truly aggressive dogs of any breed are far and few between. Fear aggression is unfortunately quite common.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 05-26-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM

17,309 posts, read 12,267,497 times
The key to stopping leash pulling is to make it enjoyable for the dog to be near and focused on you. Which is easy on a heavily food driven dog. Treat often when walking beside and looking at you.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I have an almost 6 month Rhodesian Ridgeback mix who is quite strong and stubborn. I have a trainer come every couple weeks and work with us. He responds to commands either by hand signals or voice.

For leash pulling he has me change direction multiple times on a short leash, as this pulls on the dog, he learns to stay by me; or we stop until he is calm. He is great on a leash until he sees a person or dog, or at the dog park. He has improved greatly, and we are almost there!

We are also doing nose work in addition to play time and dog park. It's obvious that he needs a variety of stimulation so he doesn't get bored.

The trainer has been invaluable. For instance, I could not get Dante to lie from a distance, and he pointed out that because my hand signal was in front of me, he couldn't see it. I moved my hand signal to the side, and down he went!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-26-2017, 12:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
No matter what the species, all teenagers are aholes.
You just have to calm, patient, firm, and push through.

He'll settle down.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No matter what the species, all teenagers are aholes.
You just have to calm, patient, firm, and push through.

He'll settle down.

Amen to that sister!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-26-2017, 02:17 PM

965 posts, read 939,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Amen to that sister!
Ha ha I thought stan4 was brother!

Old 05-26-2017, 02:34 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
I was lucky in the way I was able to train my dogs because I had a heavybag in the basement of the residence I was staying in at the time. I had two pitbulls during the period and they were both trying to disrespect me, so I took them downstairs and beat on the heavy bag and stared them down.

They both looked scared, so after that they realized who the dominant dog was in the house. I feel like with aggressive dog breeds, you have to show them who is in charge by the display of strength and aggression.
What?

Old 05-26-2017, 02:36 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Well, it worked for my dog. Isn't that how it works in the wild?
Nope, I'm pretty sure "in the wild" dog parents aren't beating on things while staring down their pups.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:16 PM

965 posts, read 939,778 times
Just be aware of head halter possible problems. Here is a good article that migh also help with the pulling problem.

The Problem With Head Halters | Relationship Centered Dog Training by Suzanne Clothier

The front clip harness has worked for me when my GSD was younger, and we use it in still.
However.... I keep a martingale collar with leash attached as well. I have to do this because mine will no longer tolerate a dog who comes running up to us barking. A young, and not so bright border collie came running up to us that way (probably just posturing - my other dog would ignore him when I walked past with her).

But... my GSD saw it as a threat, and I had to just sit down and hold on. The harness did hold, but I was happy for the collar too.

If they pull, a strong dog can still actually pull you over with the harness. It doesn't "stop" them, it just makes them more aware. You will have to have a back up plan to prepare so he never learns to pull it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs