Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 06:11 AM

305 posts, read 330,667 times

Advertisements

He is on them for arthritis of the spine. We’ve lessened his water per the pets advice and it doesn’t help. He will pee outside and then pee again in the house. It’s seems like it goes on for minutes. Is this normal? We still have a few more weeks of this as he is weened off. Will it get better the less he takes or does it stay in his system for a while? We have a good spray to clean it but are carpet is saturated in it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Suggest you talk to Vet. Sounds like dosage is too high.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
He is on them for arthritis of the spine. We’ve lessened his water per the pets advice and it doesn’t help. He will pee outside and then pee again in the house. It’s seems like it goes on for minutes. Is this normal? We still have a few more weeks of this as he is weened off. Will it get better the less he takes or does it stay in his system for a while? We have a good spray to clean it but are carpet is saturated in it.
Like the poster above said, talk to your vet as they might need to adjust the dosage.

As I mentioned in your other thread, we use Galliprant to treat our dog's arthritis and he's done really well on it. Also, I bring this up because you said he will be weened off steroids in a few weeks but what is the long term care plan for him? Arthritis is an ongoing medical condition.

In the meantime, there are wraps that you can use to help with him peeing inside. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Ma...male+dog+wraps

Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Steroids for long term or a short term dose? Sounds like you need to talk to the vet either way.

Anyway, sometimes you just need to put the doggies diaper pants on them. At least its only pee right?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
had the same issue with my senior girl..... she takes prednisone when her back issue flairs up..... I cut her prescribed dose in half and she still gets the relief she needs and it does not make her incontinent...... Her vet is fine with this.....

I suspect they don't metabolize medications as well when they get older.....

Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
You dont usually take advice that's offered to you but I'll suggest this anyway. Ask the vet about putting him on just Rimadyl or Galliprant daily and see if that helps his athritis. If so, then he doesnt need the prednisone except for major flareups.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:58 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
When I take Steroids I pee a LOT! I take them as needed & plan on being home for 2 Days even tho I only take 1 pill... I restrict my fluids .... not that that matters cause they are to get Rid of excess Fluids, esp around joints. So YOU are going to nned to take the dog outside more & stay out Longer while she on them...and a few days after.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:41 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Poor thing. Do they make doggy diapers?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Use a belly band if it's a male. You can buy them, https://www.amazon.com/Washable-Dura.../dp/B01ENRLFFY or make your own with light towels pinned at the top.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:26 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Poor thing. Do they make doggy diapers?
When my one dog went into heat I used Huggie's pull ups and poked a hole for the tail so I could take it off and put it back on after she went outside.

As for the original poster - always check with a vet for things like this, but I have a similar issue here. My dog is getting up there and has cancer and arthritis on her hind legs. I have her on medication for arthritis. She started wetting the bed in her sleep and after we treated her with several rounds of anti-biotics I now have her on medication for incontinence and it helped. I don't know how old your dog is, but the one vet told me once you put a dog on incontinence meds they are on them for life.

So, talk to your vet about these options but have the dog checked first for bladder infections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs