Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:36 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,277 times

Advertisements

After years of living in environments where I was unable to have a dog of my own, I finally bought a place out in a rural area on some property.

I've thought about getting another dog at this point, but I'm concerned about the length of time an animal would be home alone, as I work at least 10 hours a day, and my commute is an hour each way, so I'd be out of the house a minimum of 12 hours a day. My job also isn't a set arrive/leave time, so I could be at work for hours longer than normal occasionally, depending on what's going on.

If I were to do this, I'd put in a pet door to the back yard area, where it is already fenced. As I wouldn't want to keep an animal in a crate for that long on a daily basis.

I know there will be differences in different breeds, but in general terms, is it OK for a dog to be left alone like this, or is just a bad idea across the board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 04:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
How about getting 2 dogs they keep each other company Just check your local pound. Lots of dogs needing good homes.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Honestly, sounds like a lonely life for the dog. And since you don't work a set schedule, the dog wouldn't be able to regulate his activities to yours. If you really need an animal in your life, I like the idea of two dogs so they at least have some company and I also recommend older dogs. A rambunctious puppy would not be the best choice.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
I did it with my Rottweiler but I kept him in the house. Thankfully I did not have to crate his sweet self.

I did limit him to the kitchen with a baby gate that he never tried to push down.

Eventually I rescued a beagle/mix and did the same thing with her.

I stopped leaving my dogs outside in a kennel while I worked, after the vet informed me of the huge theft of Rottweiler's in our area. She said if they want the dog bad enough, they will get it.

Meaning, it won't hurt to leave the your dog alone that many hours, as long as it has adequate shelter, a water bucket that is secured so it won't tip over, chew toys, and maybe some dry food.

I left food in front of my dogs all the time because my work schedule was so wonky

He will probably adjust better than you, lollol

Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
I agree with what others have said. If you will be alone from home that long, a dog is not a good idea for you now. But if you still want one, why not get two? Two will keep each other company. I don't think keeping them outside is a problem is the weather is good, but two dogs together, rather than one, will make the dogs much happier. Dogs are very social as are humans, and being alone for long stretches of time will likely lead to behavioral problems, such as digging, barking, and escape attempts.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
If I knew I was going to be gone 12 hours a day for work at least 5 days a week, I would not have a dog. You won't have time for him and he or she deserves a better life than that even if you have 2 dogs.
That being said, if you're going to do this, adopt an adult dog or 2 adult dogs. Whatever you do, do not get a puppy. Also, if you are going to do this, you need to take one or two weeks vacation time where you will spend most of your day with the dog so you can bond and get to know each other.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:46 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If I knew I was going to be gone 12 hours a day for work at least 5 days a week, I would not have a dog. You won't have time for him and he or she deserves a better life than that even if you have 2 dogs. oh, I don't know about that. 1. My dog was a guard dog and I was single. When saw my Rott and the beagle waiting for me, I knew I didn't have to check closets or look under the bed.

2. They spent a lot of time on the couch with me and doing barn chores when I did get home. It is hardly ideal but is is doable .

That being said, if you're going to do this, adopt an adult dog or 2 adult dogs. Whatever you do, do not get a puppy. Also, if you are going to do this, you need to take one or two weeks vacation time where you will spend most of your day with the dog so you can bond and get to know each other.
I do agree with not getting puppy under these circumstances. Not even a yearling dog. Both my dogs were around 3-5 years when I had to work and drive those long hours.

Also, don't get a dog that is full of Energizer Bunny Energy. My Rott was a couch potato to begin with and the Beagle/mix never did have a desire to run anything but to the food bowl

Old 12-10-2015, 07:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,139 times
Dogs are social animals; they need to spend time with their human. They need play, fun, snuggle, training, and just plain hanging out time with their person. If you are working that much, when do you plan to spend time with your dog? If you work/travel 13 hours a day, sleep 8 hours, then that gives you a maximum of a possible 3 hours a day to spend with your dog.

This is a good idea (from the dog's perspective) if and only if the following criteria are met:
1) you adopt an older couch potato breed; in other words no herding dogs, no terriers, no working breeds
2) you hire a dog sitter to come in mid-day to spend time with your dog
3) you are willing to devote your time away from work to your dog, meaning spending mornings and evenings on work days, and weekends spending quality time with your dog
4) possibly most importantly::: Before you adopt, FIRST spend a year volunteering at a local shelter for 3-4 hours a day Monday-Friday and 8+ hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. If this schedule doesn't work for you, then having a dog won't work for you

Old 12-10-2015, 07:54 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
My husband and I had the same considerations when we adopted our dog, as we are out of the house M-F for 10 hours a day.

This is what we did:

1.) Adopted an older dog, he was 6 years old (now 7).
2.) He's a Schnauzer/Poodle so falls into the terrier breed, but he is a couch potato.
3.) He is not crated. He can roam the house as he desires.
4.) Hired a dog walker to come in mid-day. This is a big financial commitment but we planned for that going in.
5.) We were planning to have him spend at least one day a week at doggy day care (also a financial commitment), but he doesn't particularity like other dogs so we nixed that plan.
6.) When we get home from work, we stay home and we spend most of the weekend at home. If we do go out on the weekend, it's for a few hours and then we're back again for cuddles on the couch.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Dogs are social animals; they need to spend time with their human. They need play, fun, snuggle, training, and just plain hanging out time with their person. If you are working that much, when do you plan to spend time with your dog? If you work/travel 13 hours a day, sleep 8 hours, then that gives you a maximum of a possible 3 hours a day to spend with your dog.

This is a good idea (from the dog's perspective) if and only if the following criteria are met:
1) you adopt an older couch potato breed; in other words no herding dogs, no terriers, no working breeds
2) you hire a dog sitter to come in mid-day to spend time with your dog
3) you are willing to devote your time away from work to your dog, meaning spending mornings and evenings on work days, and weekends spending quality time with your dog
4) possibly most importantly::: Before you adopt, FIRST spend a year volunteering at a local shelter for 3-4 hours a day Monday-Friday and 8+ hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. If this schedule doesn't work for you, then having a dog won't work for you

Agree with this except the volunteer stuff.

You really have to pick the right breed, no puppies and it would be better to have 2 dogs or cat/dog compatible companions. It's good that you would have a dog door so the dog can go to the bathroom and stretch it's legs. I work long hours like that, too. I probably would not have a dog if I didn't have a spouse or someone to be home before me. I'd get a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs