Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:31 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,391,396 times

Advertisements

Fixed feeding time; twice a day every day. I've never had a dog who was so picky as to leave food in the dish, so have never encountered that problem. I find that scheduled feeding tends to give the dog a sense of routine, gives the dog something to look forward to morning and evening, and I also suspect that I would be quicker to notice if the dog was feeling a bit "off" and not eating as much than if he/she was free-fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,066,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
I also suspect that I would be quicker to notice if the dog was feeling a bit "off" and not eating as much than if he/she was free-fed.
You'll also be quicker to notice if your dog is gaining or losing weight on the same amount of food that's kept him in good condition for years. Significant weight gain or weight loss that occurs despite no change in diet can be a symptom of a serious underlying medical condition.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:28 AM

910 posts, read 2,342,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Everyone has an opinion, and you will get plenty. What is your opinion? And where are puppy pics?!
I just posted pics of my pup in the Pet Picture Gallery.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:52 AM

965 posts, read 945,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I just posted pics of my pup in the Pet Picture Gallery.
oh he is darling!

Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 AM

143 posts, read 146,141 times
I have fixed feeding times. Free feeding only works if the dog is where the food is. I sometimes take my dog with me on 16 hour days. If he ate a handful of food in the morning expecting to go back for another every few hours he would be rather hungry all day. With scheduled meals my dog always knows when the next meal is and can make an intelligent choice on how much to eat.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,500,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Which one do you do and why? Is there a compelling argument of one over the other?
I feed kibble in the evening and my two (10yo Coonhound and 12yo Feist) usually don't eat it til 3am for some reason.

Now, if my neighbor's dog is visiting (2yo Pit Bull), she is an over-eater, so I feed at the same time.

If I have my grand-dog over, she eats twice a day because she's a very large 2yo Chocolate Lab, so I feed her as soon as she is let out of her crate, and then she eats by herself. When I get home from work, I feed all of them at the same time.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:59 AM

910 posts, read 2,342,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
oh he is darling!
Thank you, that is why he endeared himself to our hearts. He can be a little naughty at times and he knows he can get away with it .

Thanks to everyone's responses so far, I have to get caught up reading all of them because I've been a little too busy to be in the forum lately, but I do read all of them.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,334,429 times
I don't do timed feedings, but I appreciate the logic of it. (It's a moot issue for my two animals, who hoover up their food the instant it's placed in the bowl. No dawdling EVER.)

I do fixed feedings: breakfast right before I walk out of the house, a snack on my lunch break when I come home to potty the dog, and dinner around 6:30.

The kitty gets a small handful of kibble at night before bedtime. Sometimes she eats it all at once. Sometimes she picks it at during the course of the evening.

My dog and cat are both way too food-motivated -- food obsessed! -- for me to do free feedings. I think my dog would eat until his stomach ruptured if left to his own devices.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:04 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,027,913 times
I also do fixed feeding amounts. Every dog I've known, mine or others, would be overweight if allowed to eat freely. I know a couple of people have spoken up that they do this - but my experience with that has not been positive. On the other hand, I allow my cats to eat what they will, and only about 1 in 4 or 5 gets overweight.

Some dogs really like routine, and will let you know when it is time to walk or eat. Other dogs don't mind the clock so much. My current two have farm dog bloodlines, so routine is important to them.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:21 PM

2,506 posts, read 2,519,053 times
My Shih Tzu is the pickiest eater ever. Ever.

I am home cooking for him now. He loves it. I calculate with a scale to balance his macros

I don't mind cooking for him. He's a very special dog

A small lunch and his main meal at dinner. He eats it up, all done (along with Balance It as a supplement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs