Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:41 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,085 times

Advertisements

I'm dealing with this right now. My Peke mix is 10 and can't tolerate the distances she previously could. Part of it is that she started having seizures last fall and is on phenobarbital twice daily. A known side-effect is reduced exercise tolerance. The biggest problem is that she wants to keep going and going on a snif-fest but then poops out energy-wise. She's also about 17-18 pounds so a bit big to lug around or "wear". She hates the stroller - already tried that.

So I've started the short walk for her/long walk for me thing. We go about a mile on her walk (depends on the temperature, too) and then I bring her home and take off for my three-miler. It's taken her a little time to accept the new normal since she thinks she should go everywhere I go when I walk out the front door.

When I get back we have a good game of throw the toy of choice to celebrate my return. It's not a perfect solution but it's the way things need to be.

I also think a check-up for arthritis/body pain is a good idea. I know my girl is a little sore over her back and hips some days - she's long like a Peke - so she's going in for her annual in a few days and we're going to discuss putting her on some medication that's compatible with phenobarbital.

Good luck with Ringo. It's hard to see our buddies slowing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,476,958 times
Photos?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Poor Ringo. It is the natural order of things but it would make me sad too. I hope something is found to make him feel better. I would protect his food from the other dog but I am not a behaviorist. I just had this situation with cats before and I was like no no, Her Highness shall reign until her death, and that is the end of this discussion!

Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Photos?
I'll try to remember how! It's been a long time since I've posted pics.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
It is always sad when older dogs start slowing down and you can no longer enjoy an activity you once did with them.😦
I know a few people that put the dogs in a stroller or a wagon to go on walks.The dogs seemed ok with it as they could get out to do some sniffing and they still got to enjoy being out on an adventure with their owner.

Jazz and Dash did not really slow down and I still get a chuckle at Dash about 12 yrs old having nasal cancer for a year and Jazz 13 going on long walks with Dazzle when I first got him and he was about 8 months. Dazzle would suddenly lay down and refuse to move until after he had a rest. The two old timers would glare at him because they wanted to be moving😁He did not care he needed a rest.Big difference in the herding breeds who were built for distance and my crazy sighthound built for speed but sprints not distance!😁

Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Default Ringo Update ~

So here's an update on Ringo. He had his Vet appointment and was prescribed 1/2 Tramadol twice a day to relieve pain in his back legs (arthritic) yet not keep him sedated.

He was a bit more eager to walk ~ but still only a very short distance.

I broke down and got him a stroller and he LOVES it. We go for his short walk - then back to the house for the stroller where he will ride for an hour - quite contentedly. I think he enjoys the different view - a bit higher up than he normally is and he stays very alert watching the neighborhood goings on.

I've noticed that ~ now that I'm not dragging him farther than he wants to go - he actually has been wanting to do a longer walk, on occasion. He lets me know when he's ready to quit.

Lucy goes on the longer walk with me - sometimes I put her in the stroller too and I can cover a LOT of ground quickly - getting my 10,000 steps in.

Win/win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs