Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,602,626 times

Advertisements

So my Westie, Ringo, has always been a handful. The way we've kept him occupied (and he's kept me occupied) is by walking which he loves.

Because of Ringo, I've explored every walking trail and biking trail when I moved to a new town 7 years ago. We know every trail in town and how to get anywhere on one of our bike trails. We know all the wooded trails in our pretty forests.

My neighbor who has lived here her whole life; hasn't even been on most of them.

Lucy ( the yorkie) tags along with us - but a mile and she's done. Ringo always wants to go farther and farther and farther. I ended up carrying Lucy part of the way sometimes.

Ringo turned 11 in June and while I noticed it last summer, this year our walks are so SHORT. He still runs around the yard checking the perimeter, but a mile walk is all he can do. Some of them than involved steps, I just cut out all together.

Today, we went on his favorite wooded trail - cool and peaceful but he walked 1/4 mile and turned around. He wanted to go home.

It made me so sad. I mean, he's healthy for his age according to the Vet but I guess he just tires out easier?

I just came on here to vent a bit because walking together is something we've done every evening for years; Saturday and Sunday mornings. I don't know what to do if we don't do that. It's my routine; my stress reliever.

I don't see me taking Lucy and leaving Ringo home. I could leave them both home and go alone . . .

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 12:23 AM

30,691 posts, read 16,339,431 times
Sounds like it's time to start walking without either dog. Go on your short walk if Ringo seems to feel like he's being punished but at 11 yrs old, it's like he's 77 or so.

It's not surprising he's slowing.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 12,182,149 times
Would he enjoy being strapped in on your chest? My long departed Pomeranian used to ride in my friend's backpack for the long walks that she could no longer keep up with. She knew when all the dogs were heading out for the walk and wanted to be a part of the fun. I think for his spirit, Ringo would probably enjoy still accompanying you.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM

17,387 posts, read 11,373,810 times
Perhaps if possible at least once in a while, just take the two dogs on shorter walks they are comfortable with, even if it's only 5-10 minutes long and you can always go for longer walks when you please without them. My dog loves going out even if it's for a car ride with me but if I take him to walk he'll last maybe 5 minutes and then wants to go back. I've accepted that and don't push him especially when it's summer time and it's hot outside.
Years ago when one of my other dogs became old and arthritic he could no longer go for walks. I did the unthinkable and bought him a dog stroller and he loved it. He was my heart dog and I would have done almost anything for him. He was able to be with me and my other dog who walked just fine. I'd take them to the local college on weekends early in the mornings when no on else was there and walk them around. Looking back, I'm so glad I did. It meant so much to him to still be part of the family in every way even though physically it was difficult. I have no regrets.
Being with you and walking with you even for very short distances is still important to them. I know you'll do the best you can.

Last edited by marino760; 07-05-2017 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the responses. I thought about strapping Ringo to my chest but he's 18 lbs. I also thought about a stroller and maybe that is where we are headed. I didn't know if Ringo would enjoy it because he likes to sniff every leaf and blade of grass but perhaps he's to the point where he would. He could walk a bit - then ride.

Hmmm.

I guess it might be time for that.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:10 AM

965 posts, read 943,601 times
This is probably a silly question, but is he on arthritis medication? It can make a world of difference. I would discuss this huge change in exercise pattern with your vet either wary. It really isn't normal to have that big a change so fast.
It probably isn't fast to some, but it sounds very noticeable to YOU, so I would push the vet for further testing, or medication. At this point it sounds like Ringos quality of life is changing. He can't say so, but you are saying it clearly.
Not meaning this as alarm, but just as a backup to your instinct. He sounds like a blast!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 AM

32,725 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Do a short loop with the dogs, take the dogs home, and then go by yourself for a longer walk.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:56 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,637,048 times
I like the stroller idea. And to see about arthritis.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM

143 posts, read 145,764 times
I adopted a 10+ year old little red dog to be my walking companion but soon found I walked farther than him. I can't carry a 22 pound dog so I got a free used child stroller with a seat that lays flat. He likes to start walks riding and get out to sniff/pee in new and interesting places.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:45 AM

I will see about arthritis; perhaps he does need some medication. He's been on a low dose of steroids all summer (skin allergies) but that is normal for him. I will call the Vet today.

It's not just me noticing things - today Lucy (the yorkie) went straight for Ringo's food bowl (Ringo was slow getting to it) and growled at him to keep away. And it was HIS bowl!

I've always fed him first and in the kitchen. I put his down then walk into the dining room and put Lucy's down. It's worked for 11 years now with no fuss.

I think Lucy wants to be Top Dog. Poor Ringo, he's always ruled the roost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs