Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:53 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,464,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its a dog, stop giving dogs human traits. Dogs don't have morals or consciences like humans do. The dog didn't kill its friend. The dog killed an animal it saw as prey, because that is what animals do.

My parent's dogs have killed squirrels, rabbits, lizards, etc... Not because they are evil, sociopathic killers, but because they are animals.

When I was little I had 2 hamsters. After about a year of living together, one of the hamsters tried to kill the other. Should I have sentenced him to death? No, my parents simply bought another cage, and they happily lived out the rest of their lives in peace.

I've had friends who's hamsters got pregnant and ate the babies. They're animals they dont think like humans. They shouldn't be killed for doing something that we find morally objective because animals don't have the same thought process as us.
You are failing to think about the people in the area of the cat killer who might own a cat and run afoul of this dog. Do you think they don't love their pets too? What about if the dog savaged a kid? Would that parent not have the right to be upset or should they say "well, dog's gotta be a dog?"

Don't be selfish. This is not about human traits. Its about HUMANS who also have things they love which might be put at risk through no fault of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,392,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Personally, I would put the dog down if they did this. I would just be sick over it and could never look at the animal the same way.

I had a friend who adopted a shelter dog of a controversial breed which will not be named for fear of that whole discussion starting that lived peacefully with a cat for several years. She came home one day to carnage. Never figured out why-- the cat and dog slept together and were buddies, the cat was very docile and the dog seemed to be too. After she cleaned up the mess, the dog went right to the vet to be put down. Totally traumatic. Can't say that I blamed her.
I'm sure that was very traumatic for her. I'm sure many would say re-home the dog to a no-cat home.

We once had a neighbor whose dog allegedly was a cat killer. He jumped into our yard and went after our crafty orange tabby. Orange tabby ran him into the gigantic mass of pricker bushes mixed with raspberries that grew in the woods. I don't recall any more intrusions.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,024,854 times
Quote:
Let's say you were a neighbor of the owner with a beloved cat who one day escaped. This "second chance" dog kills your sweetie in savage fashion. Did any one consult YOU that this animal was moving in? I bet not. Are you now traumatized? I bet so. Is it your fault? No.
It absolutely IS my fault, because I let the cat escape. The scenario you describe is no different that the one where the escaped cat is hit by a car or eaten by a coyote. YOU are responsible for keeping your pet safe, not the world at large.

Quote:
Unless an animal is either completely and totally isolated from any stimulus that would cause it to repeat behavior and can be guaranteed as such for life, why would you risk the pets of others? I certainly would not want to live next door, down the street or anywhere close to a dog like this if I had pets of my own or small kids.
A dog that kills cats is not a threat to kids - and plenty of dogs which ARE a genuine threat to kids are fine with cats. You're conflating two different things.

I'd be much more hesitant about keeping a dog that's not good with children than one which chases and kills small furries. Avoiding kids is a lot harder than avoiding cats.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,060,712 times
Quote:
You shouldn't be owning any pets if you would keep a dog around who killed them OR transferred killer Fido to some person who may live close to someone with a cat!
I don't own cats, so I would have zero problems owning a dog who doesnt like cats. I also don't let my dogs roam the neighborhood, so it doesn't matter if a neighbor has a cat, my dog would never be in their house.

And just because a dog doesn't like cats doesnt mean it is suddenly going to start killing children and adults. That's not how that works.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, we still need birds dogs. Plenty of people still hunt.

We also still use dogs to kill vermin (although not as much as we once did), to herd livestock, to do guard and protection work, and we've come up with new jobs for them as well, such as leading the blind and alerting the deaf to important sounds. Dogs aren't on the unemployment lines yet.

So what? Dogs are carnivores. All carnivores kill to eat, and even the most domesticated of them still retain some of those necessary survival instincts, which can resurface occasionally. Your friendly pet dog is also eating the flesh of other creatures daily, and needs to in order to stay healthy. Stop opening the Alpo can, and see how quickly those predatory instincts resurface in your nice, friendly "wouldn't hurt a fly" pooch when he gets REALLY hungry.

If you can't cope with the reality of predatory drive, you shouldn't own carnivores as pets.

Noah's Ark is a myth. And it's not just domestic carnivores who don't always get along with other species. I've ridden horses who'd happily stomp a dog to death (and no, you can't train that behavior away, you just have to keep that horse away from dogs).

Real animals aren't "furbabies." They have instincts we don't, and senses we lack, and drives we don't always completely understand. It's wrong to try to force them to be something they are not.
This is the last time I am dignifying you with a reply.

1. Hunting is ridiculous. We have grocery stores. Please don't get me started on that.

2. We all live in communities and have DOMESTICATED pets. Not wolves. Not big cats. These animals have evolved to live with us and one another. You conveniently forget the whole domestication angle when making your argument.

3. Its not trying to make a dog be something different. Its about removing a dog from the population who is a killer despite its domesticated status. Apparently its better to put other pets at risk .

Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't own cats, so I would have zero problems owning a dog who doesnt like cats. I also don't let my dogs roam the neighborhood, so it doesn't matter if a neighbor has a cat, my dog would never be in their house.

And just because a dog doesn't like cats doesnt mean it is suddenly going to start killing children and adults. That's not how that works.
So a cat can't get in your yard? Can't come to visit? Maybe you are unfamiliar with cats.

Aggression is aggression. I don't believe in keeping dogs that have killed around where they might run into other things they mistake for prey. And I wish other people were more risk averse. Because believe me, if I ever had an animal attack one of my family, pets or anything else, the lawsuit would be staggeringly quick.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You are failing to think about the people in the area of the cat killer who might own a cat and run afoul of this dog.
If my dog is outside, he is on a leash. I expect my neighbors to also be responsible pet owners. That includes cat owners. A free roaming cat would be more likely to get hit by a car, or attacked by a wild animal then it would be to be killed by a leashed dog.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
So a cat can't get in your yard? Can't come to visit? Maybe you are unfamiliar with cats.
I'm very familiar with cats. I don't see what that has to do with anything. Cats are not welcomed at my house.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
If my dog is outside, he is on a leash. I expect my neighbors to also be responsible pet owners. That includes cat owners. A free roaming cat would be more likely to get hit by a car, or attacked by a wild animal then it would be to be killed by a leashed dog.
I agree that cats should stay indoors. But not everyone agrees with me. Just like you, I can't control what my neighbors do with their pets.

So your dog is leashed in your yard even when they go out to the bathroom? There is no possible way they would every get out? Absolutely none?

Old 07-12-2017, 04:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,024,854 times
Quote:
Aggression is aggression.
With that statement you clearly demonstrate that you're an "animal lover" who knows next to knowing about actual animals. It's a good thing your allergies keep you from actually owning any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs