Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:06 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times

Advertisements

A Palm Harbor artist is painting portraits of dogs recently euthanized in local shelters to bring awareness to the tragic loss of life. It is haunting to look at these paintings that capture the personality of these dogs only to remember that if there is a portrait, the dog has passed. Mary is honoring their life and giving them dignity in their death.

Palm Harbor woman paints portraits of euthanized dogs from shelters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
Bless their precious hearts. I wish I could adopt all of them. How someone can throw away a dog is beyond me.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 AM

29 posts, read 18,758 times
Such a great way to memorialize and remember these dogs. It's unfortunate that so many don't have or know the feeling of having a loving home.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:37 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
It saddens me. But there's a part of me that draws some comfort from the fact that none of the portraits are of a dog that I would have adopted. That said there are some messages in those portraits.

It tells me certain things that I had not really thought much about before. Animal protection groups and rescues need to get more targeted in their spay-neuter messages and efforts - bully breeds and chihuahuas, really. That's where the "market" has a glut - I KNEW these breeds were the worst affected, but the artist's work brought it home for me. Offer free spay/neuter or adoption days specifically targeted at those breeds. Start specific advertisement programs about how "No one wants your (specific breed) pups" - maybe people will avoid the hassle entirely then and take advantage of the free or low-cost services.

Further, it lets me know that my donations should go to organizations focused specifically on those breeds. I am a herding breed fan - the rescues and fans of those breeds are amazingly efficient in rescuing and rehabilitating those dogs. I'll volunteer my time to them, but my financial donations in the future are likely to go to rescues targeting the dog types most in need.

I also wonder if some of the more well-funded rescues might not serve the animals best by hosting things like low-cost doggie playdates and drop-in training sessions for owners of particular breeds. Offer them to owners who can prove they've spayed/neutered and vaccinated their dogs - and give out vouchers to those owners who haven't gotten around to it yet. Chis and pit-types are some of the worst-trained and worst-socialized breeds from what I can tell (often for very different reasons). Liability issues would be the key problem here, but there has to be a way around that. But the point would be to develop a supportive community for the owners of these breeds, even the ones who aren't into dog sports or showing or whatever.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:38 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,038 times
I'm not going to look at the link. As beautiful as it may be and as wonderful a sentiment the artist is creating, not sure I can look at portraits of animals who were killed because they had no one to save their lives. It's one of those things that I just cannot bear to see. Hopefully the artist's work will help the plight of animals in shelters in some way.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
Bassetluv
They are portraits of the dog before they are put to sleep. Probably identifying photos from when they were brought in. Sadly they are mostly one breed.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 AM

310 posts, read 202,960 times
Extremely sad, but at least they are remembered and not lost to history.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Bassetluv
They are portraits of the dog before they are put to sleep. Probably identifying photos from when they were brought in. Sadly they are mostly one breed.
Ah, gotcha. I'd thought they were pictures of the dogs after death, in sleeping poses. That makes a bit of a difference. It would still bother me, but if I change my mind I'll have a look.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 AM

Knew it. I shouldn't have looked. That second dog in the portraits now has me in absolute tears.

And I guess that is the point of the artist's pictures...but oh, my heart breaks every time an animal loses it's life when he or she is in the prime of life, all because of irresponsible breeders, owners, or whatever scenario they came from. My heart breaks for all of them.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:47 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
It's a really sad thing. I watch a HBO or maybe it was a Showtime special about pets in America. One segment was of the problems with unwanted pets. That segment was of a small under funded dog pound in a poorer rural county in a southern state.

The amount of dogs put to sleep was staggering. I wasn't going to watch it but felt if I cared I should be a witness to it so I did watch. They showed the process they use to gas unwanted dogs, actually showed some being gased. I still have nightmares. I feel if people who let their dogs reproduce and not get them fixed and dump puppies saw this they may change their ways. Maybe it should be a requirement to watch it over and over if you turn I too many puppies, or kittens, to the pound or get caught and fined for doing something you shouldn't with pets, a hoarder or something.

I've never owned a dog but love them. My sisters and nephews have some. I have cats. I am sure the same thing goes on with cats.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 10-03-2017 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs