Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 PM

7,168 posts, read 12,748,281 times

Advertisements

We're taking care of a small Boykin spaniel and she is proving to be a champion counter-surfer. Turned my back on her for an instant and she got eight strips of bacon off the counter, paper towel and all. I had just cooked the bacon for BLT's. She wolfed them down so swiftly -- and growled at me when I tried to rescue the last bits! The little scamp.

Guess she couldn't resist the temptation. I understand. I love bacon myself. But she'd already had her dinner, the glutton.

So now I've learned (I hope) not to leave anything on the counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM

3,316 posts, read 3,068,247 times
Wow, I hope she was okay. That's a lot of fat for a smallish dog and pancreatitis can be serious. When I worked at a vet clinic we usually saw a couple of cases after Thanksgiving every year.

Our first greyhound, Audrey, was a champion counter surfer. After a slightly less problematic encounter with a whole sesame bagel, we too learned to leave absolutely nothing on the counters.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,052,047 times
I once had a big white greyhound who was a master counter surfer. With his paws on the counter, he was taller than me. I sure do miss him.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,459,192 times
My Catahoula once hoovered a dozen breakfast burritos while I relaxed on the couch waiting for them to cool. His stomach wasn't even distended. I don't understand how, lol.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,312,113 times
Having 6 Borzoi and a greyhound, all my dogs heads at almost, at or above the counter in height LOL

Old 09-19-2017, 10:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,642,939 times
My chocolate lab doesn't even coffee table surf. I can set my dinner down and she'll never touch it, even if I leave the room.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:52 PM

32,772 posts, read 48,525,747 times
None of my dogs ever have, except for Wyatt McRiot. He was a sneak thief when he joined my family and it took a lot of work and a lot of time to convince him that it wasn't ok. He'd learned that he could do anything he wanted as long as no one saw him.

I still don't leave tempting food out unsupervised because of Wyatt. We call the microwave "the dog safe". He has this irresistible attraction to cheap bakery frosting and I think that was the last straw that cost him his last home. Little kid birthday party with a nice big commercial birthday cake was too much for him to resist.

Pensive's head is eye level, but she won't touch anything on the counters. All of the deerhounds looked down on the counters and not one of them ever stole anything.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:41 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,391,840 times
Izzy, my present dog, won't touch anything that isn't his. I can leave a plate of food sitting on a chair, on the floor, anywhere within his reach and leave the room - I can even go down to the basement and load the washing machine - and when I come back, the food is still on the plate, totally untouched. It could be the most tempting, mouthwatering dish on the plate and Iz will leave it alone.

My last dog, however, was an entirely different matter.

Kaya was notorious for stealing food left on the counter when no one was looking. Her favourite pillage of choice? Avocadoes. This was back in the day before it was generally known that avocadoes can do serious harm to a dog, and apparently Kaya didn't know this either. The only evidence that would be left of her canine thievery would be a completely cleaned-out avocado peel, along with a rather well-polished pit later to be discovered rolling around under a chair somewhere.

She also once stole a large hamburger from a frying pan on the stove top. I happened to be walking by the bedroom door when I spotted Kaya, her mouth completely crammed full of burger, staring back at me. She froze for a second and then, with all the casualness of a well-seasoned food bandit, she "ptooooied" the burger out of her maw, launching it clear across the room, where it arced high in the air and then landed with a dull thud against the dresser. Then with a wag of her tail she looked back at me as if to say, "Oh hey...didn't see ya there. How you doin'?"

Last edited by bassetluv; 09-20-2017 at 01:50 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 01:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,391,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Little kid birthday party with a nice big commercial birthday cake was too much for him to resist.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,283,595 times
Yes, my dog has done it. She first learned to grab things from the counter thanks to my daughter leaving foods right at the edge. She even started taking random things like pencils, napkins, pot holder.

She hasn't taken anything off the counter in a while which is good. It's a terrible habit and hard to break once they start doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs