Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM

7,147 posts, read 12,683,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Wow, I hope she was okay. That's a lot of fat for a smallish dog and pancreatitis can be serious. When I worked at a vet clinic we usually saw a couple of cases after Thanksgiving every year.

Our first greyhound, Audrey, was a champion counter surfer. After a slightly less problematic encounter with a whole sesame bagel, we too learned to leave absolutely nothing on the counters.
She's fine today. Luckily, the bacon was well blotted...but the salt must be making her drink lots of water...no other signs of her guilty pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 AM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
my dog even gets into the sink (I tried to be smart and left stuff in there, thinking she cannot reach it). Gets on her back legs and reaches all the way in (she's around 55 lbs and not that tall). Who would have thought dogs like protein powder??? I hope she won't gain too much muscle.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 AM

19,545 posts, read 9,561,689 times
Knew a dog that swiped a steak right off a grill.

Our counter top in the kitchen is up above both dog's eye level and even though the Lab might be able to reach if he got up from back paws, he hasn't, ... yet.

The coffee table is much lower and can be looked at by them as fair game, unless we're sitting down at it at the same time. If we get distracted by a phone call or doorbell, someone tries to remain at the table though, if that's not possible we lol put them in their crates. On occasion, we're clearing and forget a napkin or condiment, i.e. - container of sour cream, and well,.,you can guess. Good thing, it's always mostly empty when that does happen.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM

143 posts, read 144,794 times
After my fully trained service dog retired he went to live with my parents. Within 3 months he stole a whole raw chicken out of the sink with my father standing next to it looking for the twine. There is a reason I call my father the training destroyer.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We're taking care of a small Boykin spaniel and she is proving to be a champion counter-surfer. Turned my back on her for an instant and she got eight strips of bacon off the counter, paper towel and all. I had just cooked the bacon for BLT's. She wolfed them down so swiftly -- and growled at me when I tried to rescue the last bits! The little scamp.

Guess she couldn't resist the temptation. I understand. I love bacon myself. But she'd already had her dinner, the glutton.

So now I've learned (I hope) not to leave anything on the counter.
My folks (late) Munsterlander was (in)famous for disappearing a whole chicken that went unattended for a mere 5 minutes.

Less arduous feats, but notable for a past small terrier of ours .... we and others learned the hard way to never ... never .... never set anything such as meat, cheese, snacks, etc .... on any sort of coffee table, picnic table bench, lawn chair, lower lying tailgate ... etc ....

Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,203,548 times
I have one who does this. His biggest coup was stealing a large piece of duck liver off of a platter, and sharing it with my other dog. I thought I had somehow thrown it away by mistake and sorted through all the trash looking for it. If the phone rings when I am eating, I have to put my plate up high or his face will instantly be in my food. He's the only dog I've ever had who did this.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM

189 posts, read 110,932 times
I broke my dog of the counter-surf desire by baiting the counter with a bunch of empty pop cans, tied together, and with pennies inside. After a couple of times when the cans clattered to the floor with a horrible racket he never tried to take anything off of the counter again. A dog trainer recommended it to me. He did, once, eat a whole box of heartworm medication that he got out of the cabinet, though.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,990,239 times
Counter-surf? Not sure what you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Does Your Dog Counter-surf?-img_0275.jpg  

Old 09-20-2017, 10:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
My all time counter surfer was my late Dash. I left the house once for 15 minutes and had couple pounds of dark chocolates that I was taking into work in my back pack which was one the center of my table. Dash got it down opened the back pack ate all the chocolate. When I came back in and saw that both he and Jazz got taken outside and given hydrogen peroxide. When they vomited it was obvious only Dash was involved in the heist.

Then at a Thanksgiving down at my parents after dinner everyone went outside for awhile before having dessert. Dessert was a Carmel apple Bundt cake which was sitting far back on the counter. Dash and the other dogs all went outside too but as soon as he saw no one was watching he went in via the pet door and ate that whole cake .

When I first got Dazzle he would steal things off the table as it is eye height for him. We were visiting my dad who was having some memory issues. My Dad had warmed up a piece of Pizza put it on the table went back in the kitchen to get something to drink just as Dazzle passed by. Dazzle saw the pizza and snatched it passed me in the hall way with the pizza hanging out of his mouth. I entered the dining room to find my dad standing looking at the empty table and saying I guess my memory is worse then I thought cause I thought I had warmed up some pizza and put it on the table.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 PM

19,812 posts, read 22,710,079 times
No. Not any of my dogs do it for long. That is an intolerable behavior in my house. Our new puppy has tried, but she has tempered that action, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs