Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 PM

358 posts, read 222,739 times

Advertisements

I had a pug puppy who just got sick and died at 7 months old after getting her one year booster shot with encephalitis symptoms - was never asked about the fact they gave DHCP booster at same time as Rabies vaccine and am wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:24 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Did the vet do an necropsy? Without it, it is hard to say why the pup died.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:09 PM

No he didn't - the day she got the shots she was very sick once home. She was lethargic and shivering all night but then seemingly was fine in morning. Then 10 days later same symptoms start up - its a Saturday so I call vet (who is open till 1 pm) and they are too busy to see her BUT refer me to another vet who is open until 4 pm . I take her there - they do an xray to make sure nothing foreign in intestine or stomach as well as to look at uterus. Nothing there so they give her a shot for nausea and tell us to give her Pepcid ac and to bring her back should she not be better by Monday.

She gets much worse over night and next morning I am at Emergency Animal Hospital with my 7 month old pug who now is not able to move at all wont eat wont drink is lethargic. They test her vitals which are fine - and after examing her decide that they think she having neurological problems of some kind. Since I can not afford $2000 for Neurologist they say it might be her liver or pancreas so they do blood work and hydrate her tests wont be back for 24-72 hours. I take her home at 9 pm - for the worst night ever. She doesn't move except to go potty on herself and then her legs collapse under her and she cant move - we put her back in her bed praying she makes it to morning to take her to my regular vet - the one who gave shot.

She makes it so I call and we take her immediately - I ask girl if they gave her booster shot at same time as rabies because I have now been researching her symptoms and know that they should not do this - it can kill the dog especially if toy breed and a puppy. She says that they did give her both together and when I ask why she says they don't for pomeranians or other toy breeds - this dog was a happy very strong smart active puppy. She was not exposed to anything that would or could make her sick - and her symptoms were the same as day of shot only more intense.

The vet came into room quickly as she was starting to make strange breathing sounds and coughing - while she was sound asleep in her bed. Never woke up during ride there or once in vets office. He then says he will get results from other two facilities that saw her and he does- amazing the blood work was there from animal hospital so quickly for him. Anyway he then says that he wants to keep her hydrate her and do a tick fever test and parvo on her. Both come back negative then he finally says that she has encephalitis which could be caused by the shots she got just not sure. He wants to do a spinal tap over night we agree and then in am he calls saying things are worse and we agree to put her down.

So you are right this absolutely healthy puppy maybe was just suddenly struck down with this disease that she presented with all of its symptoms that can happen to a percentage of puppys that get booster shots and rabies together 10 days after the shots - no that is not what happened. The chance of that is far greater than her getting sick like it is documented all over web because of shots being given together and the vet even knew it so why would he test her?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:56 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
I'm so sorry about your young pup. It's hard losing them and especially a young pup. What was her name?

I agree with you. The vaccines shouldn't be given together. Not that it matters but after the basic core puppy vaccines and the one year booster are given, I no longer vaccinate my dogs except for rabies.

I hope your memories bring you some comfort.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Sounds to me she was already sick. You chalked it up to the shots. Then 10 days later...... you took her to the vet. I don't understand why the 10 day wait? What happened those 10 days?

Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 PM

She got the shots - came home and got sick immediately that lasted for the rest of that day. Lethargic and shivering - then she wakes up next day fine.

I have gone back and looked at the dates and it was actually 7 days later that she presented with the exact same symptoms as after the shots - only this time they didn't go away only got more intense.
By the 10th day she was gone.

I took her to one vets office , a 24 hour emergency animal hospital and back to my vet that gave her the shot.

He said himself that she could have gotten sick with encephalitis because of shots - that that was his opinion after she tested negative for some of the other things he tested her for.

My dog was not sick at all. She was a very active happy strong puppy- she was a fireball.

The reason I am writing this is because I want to warn people so they don't go to vet with blind trust to get their dog vaccinated and have their dog possibly die from getting shots together. I don't really understand why any vet or tech would give them this way since they know the risk

Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
I'm so sorry about your little pup.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 PM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I don't mean to be insensitive but since I've only adopted older dogs (youngest was 7, oldest 11) I don't understand the puppy shot thing.

If she was 7 months old, why was she getting a 1 year booster shot?

Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 AM

She was bought for my mother last Christmas by my step father. My mother has been in a group home for almost 4 months now and so I have had the puppy. Finally my dad just asked if I would plan on keeping her so I said fine. He said she was due for shots about a month ago and said he would get the records for me. I called my vet to schedule the shots and when I did I asked if they needed me to bring records and the girl said no because she was due for one year booster shot and rabies by her age. I reminded the girl that she was not a year old twice and if she was sure they wouldn't need the records from other office- she said no.

This seems like common practice as the other vet and animal hospital knew what I was talking about and both acted like this is common practice when I asked them about her age as well.

The problem with the shots is that when they give them all together that is the Booster shot that contains 4 vaccines in one shot along with another shot for rabies their immune system gets over loaded cause it is trying to work so hard and it happens more in puppies and a lot more so in toy breeds. Both of which my dog was .

There are other ways to give vaccinations to these types of dogs and they will not get sick - one is not giving them together. We were not told about any possible threat to her even if it is small percentage - they knew the risk but did not disclose.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...-brain-damage/

Last edited by Witchz; 09-28-2017 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: forgot link

Old 09-28-2017, 01:48 AM

30,545 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I am so sorry.

That's got to hurt to think you were doing a good thing and have it turn out like that.

(((HUGS)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs