Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
So sorry for your loss Mikala.

A friend of the family lived in a rural area where some 'hunters' shot his female kelpie.
Every evening, right on dusk (the exact time their girl was shot) their male kelpie would wander off alone & sit on a high point, looking out over the valley in the direction where he lost his mate.
He kept up this remembrance ritual for the rest of his long years.
Interestingly, although he & their new girl were inseparable, she always allowed him to grieve in private (She'd sit on their verandah, staring in his direction, quietly awaiting his return)
I literally just made my colleague cry with this story! It doesn't take much with her, but even I got a little weepy.

To the OP, so sorry for your loss - and have you considered (when you're ready) a young adult dog instead of a puppy? Just asking, since you say you don't want to deal with puppy behavior now. So why not get one who's already past that stage??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:05 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I literally just made my colleague cry with this story! It doesn't take much with her, but even I got a little weepy.

To the OP, so sorry for your loss - and have you considered (when you're ready) a young adult dog instead of a puppy? Just asking, since you say you don't want to deal with puppy behavior now. So why not get one who's already past that stage??

DH is pretty set on raising dogs from puppyhood, more so because he likes how the pup turned out.... he wants me to train it.

I would think he was trying to get out of work, but was really good about getting up every two hours to let him out even though he had to work.

Despite the work, I do agree.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2017, 06:04 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH is pretty set on raising dogs from puppyhood, more so because he likes how the pup turned out.... he wants me to train it.

I would think he was trying to get out of work, but was really good about getting up every two hours to let him out even though he had to work.

Despite the work, I do agree.
Fair enough. I got my dog as a puppy (he's 12 years old now), and love that we've been together "forever" - but when I think of getting another one after he's gone, and now that I'm in my 40's, I don't know if I could handle puppy energy.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Fair enough. I got my dog as a puppy (he's 12 years old now), and love that we've been together "forever" - but when I think of getting another one after he's gone, and now that I'm in my 40's, I don't know if I could handle puppy energy.

I hear ya. I'm 50 and taking pup out for exercise is practically a full time job.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I feel bad for your cat. What if the foster dog is aggressive to it?
Yes, such a tragic situation for my cat

It's a five-month old puppy, and the rescue I work with knows I have a kitten. If this baby dog had shown exceptional aggressiveness to a cats or any living thing (as five-month-old puppies are so known for), they would not be placing it with me.

Thanks so much for your ever-so-helpful off-topic comment.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:36 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We had to put our Border Collie to sleep, he was in too much pain and he had bit everyone in the house for random things. Not nipped, full bites. The meds weren't helping enough.

My 11 month old pup is completely depressed. He was quiet all day, and last night he was lying in his bed and wouldn't respond to petting, wouldn't raise his head or anything. So I went into the closet (normally this brings both dogs) to get a treat, and he didn't make any move until I put it right in front of his face.

I got up early this morning and he was in his crate, and hasn't come out yet. He is not eating well either.

Wondering if anyone has a dog who has reacted like this, and how long it lasted? DH thinks the best thing to do is get a puppy (after the holidays) as he has always been around other dogs, and while I do not look forward to going through that again so soon (), I think it would be good to do.
I'm so sorry about your Border Collie!

Yes. Dogs can absolutely feel sadness when a "member of the pack" is gone.

I'd have to say that it really depends on the dog. The last time we had a two dogs, one became depressed for about a week.

Toby (our Cocker Spaniel) was very bonded to April - who was just put to sleep today. While I was cooking dinner, I looked into the family room and I noticed Toby standing still, staring at her former crate.
It was heart wrenching.

I would give your puppy more TLC than usual. I probably agree with your husband - I am not a great fan off having an "only dog".

(((HUGS))) -to you, and your puppy.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:00 PM

510 posts, read 717,291 times
Our female whippet seemed to grieve when our male died. They were litter mates and had been together there whole lives. We wanted to adopt another dog but realized he was missing him, just not another dog. They need some time, just like people do.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,193,590 times
Mikala43 -- I am so very sorry about your Collie crossing the Rainbow Bridge. It is so hard on us Humans, and of course, it is terribly hard on your other pup. My cousin just went through a similar experience - no biting, but one of her dogs was a Senior and actually died at home in her sleep of congestive heart failure. The other dog went into severe mourning, like what you are describing. My cousin is involved in a dog org in the Chicago area and heard, through word of mouth, about a rescue coming from a shelter in Kentucky, and even though they had not planned to adopt quite so soon [it was about 3 weeks], they decided to go ahead with adopting the one year old rescue pup. It took several days, but the two pups have become best of friends. My cousin even carried on her Halloween tradition of dressing the dogs up and going to Petsmart for a picture. I know my cousin is still hurting, but the other pup does seem much happier now with a new companion and the rescued pup is getting lots of love. Again, I am so sorry.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Welllllll.... you know when you make plans.... and then don't follow them?

We started looking online for puppies... not much at all, premature anyway. So then I went on line to see what type of rescue organizations we have (not much), and realized the SPCA and Humane Society have pictures of dogs for adoption. No puppies, but started looking at pics....

Saw a sweet faced lab / hound mix that is 2 years old (male). Sent pic to DH and he went "WANT!!!", so he is down there right now (I can't go, it's rush hour traffic it would be about 2.5 hours round trip), and he is a 72 pound, super mellow stray that came in a week ago. He is a little bust up, but healthy.

DH is very good about picking dogs, so I told him if he approves, to bring him home.

His name is Duke, which is my sister's dog's name, and that would make our dogs Duke and Dante.

Here is his pic: https://www.hawaiianhumane.org/dog-adoptions/

Oops - they took his pic down already

Last edited by Mikala43; 11-08-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM

DH had to sign a waiver that we will not eat him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs