Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH had to sign a waiver that we will not eat him.
Wow! Is he home yet? Waiting to see pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
We ended up getting our dog another dog when our oldest died. Our living dog had never been solo and is very submissive and looked to the other dog how to live. I thought she might enjoy getting all the attention but she was just so lost. We waited a few months but nothing changed. She was 11 and just wondered around aimlessly, didn't play, just seemed lost. Getting her a dog brought her back to life But I would imagine most dogs come around over time.

But now she is 16 and in pain, weak and wasting away (we are debating when to put her down, but besides arthritis she has no known health problems) and she cant be around the other dog and is actually terrified of her because she doesn't want to get jumped on.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:04 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

But now she is 16 and in pain, weak and wasting away (we are debating when to put her down, but besides arthritis she has no known health problems) and she cant be around the other dog and is actually terrified of her because she doesn't want to get jumped on.
Poor thing, it's really hard.

It's been an odd dynamic between the two dogs..... Dante is taller than the new dog, but (Duke for now) is more solid and he is super, super mellow, but the pup keeps pushing him, and he got soundly checked a few times.

Dante was being dominate outside, put his head on top of the Duke's neck, and he was fine with that.

They haven't played at all.

Duke is healthy, but not in very good shape, under weight, fighting scars on his face, some non contagious skin issues, all very fixable.

All he wants to do is put his head in you lap and be petted, he is very love starved.

Yeah, and while I was typing all that he lifted his leg in the house.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2017, 08:47 PM

I've never had a rescue dog, so this is really new to me. Poor thing has plenty of scars, and is missing a front canine, his coat is in poor shape, and someone cut both his ears. Took him to our vet today, and she confirmed he was a outdoor hunting dog who hunted boars. He is a total love, all he wants is to be petted all day. He is already looking better with good food, I got him some anti inflammatories for his neutering, and been giving him fish oil. He was getting up very slow when we got him, but the stiffness seems to be fading.

While he was listed as lab and hound, he has some pit in him. BUT he is extremely mellow, you can look in his mouth, get close to his food, play with his paws, everything is okay with him.

The pup (Dante).... wants to play, but comes in way to aggressive, and attacked him when he crawled up into DH's lap. Weighed Dante at vet today and he is 80 pounds so outweighs Steve (don't ask me why, it fits) by 10 pounds. But Steve is obviously much more experienced and has gone after Dante (or responded) a few times, but he stops which is awesome. He checked him, rolled him, and left him alone. I am getting more comfortable with them working it out, but we still keep them apart when not supervised.

It's nice feeling giving a needy dog a new home. I'm still not totally comfortable with it, but getting there.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
Quote:
I've never had a rescue dog, so this is really new to me. Poor thing has plenty of scars, and is missing a front canine, his coat is in poor shape, and someone cut both his ears. Took him to our vet today, and she confirmed he was a outdoor hunting dog who hunted boars. He is a total love, all he wants is to be petted all day. He is already looking better with good food, I got him some anti inflammatories for his neutering, and been giving him fish oil. He was getting up very slow when we got him, but the stiffness seems to be fading.

While he was listed as lab and hound, he has some pit in him. BUT he is extremely mellow, you can look in his mouth, get close to his food, play with his paws, everything is okay with him.

The pup (Dante).... wants to play, but comes in way to aggressive, and attacked him when he crawled up into DH's lap. Weighed Dante at vet today and he is 80 pounds so outweighs Steve (don't ask me why, it fits) by 10 pounds. But Steve is obviously much more experienced and has gone after Dante (or responded) a few times, but he stops which is awesome. He checked him, rolled him, and left him alone. I am getting more comfortable with them working it out, but we still keep them apart when not supervised.

It's nice feeling giving a needy dog a new home. I'm still not totally comfortable with it, but getting there.
Seameal and coconut oil (just a little in food) really helps bring the coat back.

Looks like you have your hands full but rescued dogs really know they have been rescued and are just so extra loving (usually)

Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Seameal and coconut oil (just a little in food) really helps bring the coat back.

Looks like you have your hands full but rescued dogs really know they have been rescued and are just so extra loving (usually)
He has got the extra love down pat.

Thanks for the recommendation. In the meantime he gets lots of healthy extras in his meals. He is looking better every day.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Dante has a growl that sounds like he is mauling someone, this is his play sound. Steve did NOT like this, so even if Dante was playing with us, Steve would come over and check him.

But this morning, for the first time, they were running around the back yard playing with Dante growling. Yay!

As we get to know Steve more it is obvious he was mis-treated. A simple "no!" will cause him to hang his head, not make eye contact and sit in front of you. Very sensitive.

Here hunting dogs are not particularly well treated, usually kept in packs outdoors, and he appears to have been the alpha. Boar hunting is pretty hard on the dogs. He doesn't want to play with toys (doesn't seem to know how), he does like the real bones and takes they and scratches up dirt and buries it with his nose.

He is getting more comfortable sleeping in the house, and his coat and scars are looking much better.

I think he will be a very good guard dog, we opened the garage after being gone and he came forward barking. I also think he will be a good influence on training the puppy.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Trying to post pic...

Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM

Wow, poor Steve. Dante just went out with DH for a 3 mile run, so I thought it would be a good time to "play" with Steve.

I tried the tug-of-war and a nyla bone and he won't take either of them, he just sits as close to me as possible and hangs his head down to the ground. I tried throwing it and he wouldn't even look at it. Someone was very rough with him. On the positive side, he is playing more with Dante. He still does not like when he growls. The were frisking in front of me and Dante growled, Steve put his forearm on Dante's neck and dropped his full weight on him with a quick growl. That was it, he corrected and he was done.

I do have one old thigh bone section, and that he will chew on (and bury).

Dante has always been too exuberant, even when he was young he intimidated older pups. He didn't get taught manners in that area, but I think Steve will be a good teacher.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,656,369 times
Quote:
We had to put our Border Collie to sleep, he was in too much pain and he had bit everyone in the house for random things. Not nipped, full bites. The meds weren't helping enough.

My 11 month old pup is completely depressed. He was quiet all day, and last night he was lying in his bed and wouldn't respond to petting, wouldn't raise his head or anything. So I went into the closet (normally this brings both dogs) to get a treat, and he didn't make any move until I put it right in front of his face.

I got up early this morning and he was in his crate, and hasn't come out yet. He is not eating well either.

Wondering if anyone has a dog who has reacted like this, and how long it lasted? DH thinks the best thing to do is get a puppy (after the holidays) as he has always been around other dogs, and while I do not look forward to going through that again so soon (), I think it would be good to do.
Mikala,

My sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved border collie.

Our first - and best - dog was a border collie. I know it is not fair to have favorites, and we have had other wonderful dogs, but she was truly an amazing soul. She "trained" two of our subsequent puppies how to handle themselves in different situations. This included going over and standing by the door when she thought the other dogs needed to go out. She'd wait while I opened the door and the other dogs filed out, then she'd immediately go and lay down giving me a look that clearly said, "OK the kids are taken care of!"

I tell you this because when she died at age 16 from a sudden stroke, our other two dogs had a very similar reaction to your puppy. They were at a total loss. They hadn't just lost a peer; they'd lost their alpha dog. Neither were interested in taking on that role and it was a sad thing to see them moping around. I've had other dogs who passed away leaving siblings behind and have never seen that same strong reaction that happened when our border collie left us.

It did help when we got a new puppy. The other two dogs perked up (although the oldest of the two remaining dogs never really quite got over Sam's loss --- she really hated being in charge.) One thing we found was that because neither had stepped up to the plate and taken on the alpha dog role, the new puppy walked all over them for a while until they exerted their authority. This is the only time in many years of having multiple dogs that I had the sad experience of having to break up a couple of fights between the new puppy and the two older dogs. So, when you do get your new puppy, be on the look out for this, especially if your puppy seems to be really lost without your border collie.

Border collies are just such strong personalities and so smart. It has been 16 years since our border collie left us, and I still miss her. I have had wonderful and loving dogs since, but border collies are just so special.

Hugs and good luck with your new pup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs