Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,767,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
PARVO IS NOT EVERYWHERE.

Ask your vet when the last case of Parvo was seen. I asked mine. She said that she has never seen a case of Parvo where we live, but when she worked in Connecticut and Idaho, she saw it all the time.

But the thread is again being hijacked by people who: a) want to talk about dog diseases, and b) think any psychic connections between dogs and their owners is bunk.

Both of these are valid discussions on the own thread. But NOT here. So please take your discussions to your own thread.
I see parvo all the time where I live. I'm active in rescue and know that dogs and puppies contract it and some die of it frequently (at least monthly). There are several posts on my facebook feed asking for donations right now for medical treatment for parvo. It's a valid concern and just because you or your vet don't ever see it doesn't mean it's not out there and not a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I see parvo all the time where I live. I'm active in rescue and know that dogs and puppies contract it and some die of it frequently (at least monthly). There are several posts on my facebook feed asking for donations right now for medical treatment for parvo. It's a valid concern and just because you or your vet don't ever see it doesn't mean it's not out there and not a risk.
Have you thought that it could be regional? My vet was concerned about it for a puppy, but not so much that she instilled great fear. Mostly she said keep the dog away from large congregations of other dogs (pet stores and dog parks and groomers and such.)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,767,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Have you thought that it could be regional? My vet was concerned about it for a puppy, but not so much that she instilled great fear. Mostly she said keep the dog away from large congregations of other dogs (pet stores and dog parks and groomers and such.)
It may be worse in some regions but it's not restricted to a certain geographic area. I see rescue posts from all over the country where it's an issue. Some vets are more concerned about it than others. I've seen (fortunately not my own dogs) what parvo can do to a puppy and I will always err on the side of caution. I have the dog's entire life to take it out and about.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
It may be worse in some regions but it's not restricted to a certain geographic area. I see rescue posts from all over the country where it's an issue. Some vets are more concerned about it than others. I've seen (fortunately not my own dogs) what parvo can do to a puppy and I will always err on the side of caution. I have the dog's entire life to take it out and about.
I'm just thinking of Lyme Disease or West Nile as an example. I know they're mosquito and tick borne, respectively, and even though NC has as many or more mosquitoes and ticks as other places, it seems like Lyme Central is in the Northeast, West Nile in the midwest.

They're conditions that do occur all over the country but some places its a much greater concern than others.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:02 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,780,325 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm just thinking of Lyme Disease or West Nile as an example. I know they're mosquito and tick borne, respectively, and even though NC has as many or more mosquitoes and ticks as other places, it seems like Lyme Central is in the Northeast, West Nile in the midwest.

They're conditions that do occur all over the country but some places its a much greater concern than others.
You two have totally hijacked this thread. The OP even asked you to stop. You do realize you can start a thread all by yourself if this is what you want to talk about, correct?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
I will add another note to this thread, though it doesn't pertain exactly to the question, since what I am about to describe was not a dog who came from a breeder.
My first cat back right before I got married was like that. I went into an SPCA back in February of 1973, and the cat jumped against the screen of the cage and started screeching at me. Never saw that in any cat since. He turned out to be the most connected cat I ever had(out of 14), and clearly the most dog like. He taught me how to throw a pipe cleaner so he could bring it back so I could throw it again, etc.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
You two have totally hijacked this thread. The OP even asked you to stop. You do realize you can start a thread all by yourself if this is what you want to talk about, correct?
Just tells me who to add to my ignore list. Its like pulling off to the side of the road because some dude is right on your bumper, and then you watch them speed up and tailgate the car in front of you. Its rude, but you don’t have to deal with it or get angry. DON’T BUY IN. Here you put them on ignore; on the road, you simply pull off.

“I feel with loving compassion the problems of others without getting caught up in their predicaments offering them messages THEY NEED for their growth."

Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
It just verifies what the breeder said. In her 30 years of breeding pups(she is an AKC Breeder of Merit), she never saw this happen. I wasn’t expecting an answer. I was just wondering if anyone ever had the experience we did with a very young puppy. We have been chosen by several of our animals where they jumped at us in crates and screeched or barked. Our last lab was SPCA, and he did it. My first cat was SPCA and he did it.
My last collie came up to us and patted us with her paw incessantly. The other puppies just milled around happily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs