Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 02:46 AM

8 posts, read 22,887 times

Advertisements

we just brought a new chinese pug 16 months old but don't have him home yet it should be about 3-6 days yet till he gets here he is a rescue pup we already have a pug 14 months old but not sure how to go about introducing them yet we were thinking of the front yard because we never take the dogs out there so it would be netural ground and have both on a lead by different people and let them smell one another a little bit then take a walk with them to get them fimular with one another before taking them inside the house once inside let them smell a little more still on the leads before taking them off and letting them move around by themselves we already have a new creat for the new pug and plan on feeding the pup we had first in his same spot once he is eating feed the new pup in another spot does any body have another way or do you think this would work any thoughts would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
We adopted an 18 month old male pug and already had a 7 year old female Boxer. I went in the house first then my Husband brought Roscoe in Millie sniffed him for ages he just stood very still then after that they were off playing but for weeks she just would not leave him alone drove me crazy. Last year we brought a puppy Pug Daisy we did the same with her and the other two were fine. Because yours are both Pugs they should be ok just keep an eye on them.
Good luck
I always fed Millie first and now we have 3 !!! they know the order of feeding - even for treats

Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times
have them meet on walk and ask for a sit. Whoever sit first gets a treat. if the look at each other and then at you give them a treat(that is tolerance). get them closer and closer together w/ treats and then they will think "wow when that other dog is around good things happen".
hope it helps.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
RI-er

You've got a great plan...just very slow. I don't know if there is any background known on your rescue, but sometimes they come with predetermined behavior that just needs a little gentle nudging. I am assuming your other dog has no issues with other males and that both are neutered? Just go slowly and do a little more crating in the beginning so there aren't any hurt feelings from the other little guy...I'm sure in no time they will be the best of friends...and good luck! Post pictures when you can!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
IMO, it sounds like you have everything under control. Everything that you have said you plan to do is what I would have suggested. When you first bring your new pup home, I would suggest you do what you said and introduce them outside on leashes. I would think it would be better to introduce them outside of your yard though. Even if it's just a few steps outside of your yard. I agree that it would be best to have 2 people, one with each dog, and let them have plenty of slack so they can just do their own thing. I also agree that it would be good to take them for a walk together after they have been introduced, before you bring the new puppy into your home. That will help both dogs to think of each other as members of the same pack, plus they will be able to get some energy out before going into the house. I hope all goes well. Congrats on the new pup and good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:51 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I have always had new dogs meet existing dogs out in the yard, if possible, just for a visit, or if I've already adopted them, for good. I didn't leave them together when I went to work (put someone in the bathroom or crate).
The difficulties I've had with multiple dogs and and aggression has come after the dogs have lived together for several weeks. With my original bossy dog, I think he realized, "Hey, this guy isn't leaving" and attacked once or twice quite nastily to prove his point, and didn't do it again.
When he died at 11, a very shy, former feral dog I'd had for over a year, became very aggressive towards my smallest dog, sort of taking over top dog with a heavy hand. I thought it was a training problem, etc., but after an almost-lethal injury to the little guy, I had to send her back (to Best Friends, in Utah. They were so helpful with training advice and with getting Miss Chippy back).
I think the main thing is not to leave them alone together for a workday or long period of time until you are pretty confident of their relationship.
Good luck- I've always said that once you've had more than one dog, you never go back! It's a balance, but it's really fun, and I think animals deserve to be with another of their own kind.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
If you have a doggie day care facility in the area you may want to consider introducing them to each other at day care. They meet off leash in a neutral area and the order of the day is playing. We've done this in the past with earlier dogs. It's also a great way to keep dogs socialized. Just find one that is safe, secure, clean, etc...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
i definitely agree with the idea of introducing them on neutral territory (although in my case the front yard probably wouldn't be neutral enough) and walking them together before bringing them both in the house.

you also want to watch them both for stiffness and staring when they meet. their heads shouldn't be together for too long before they go to smell each others' butts. they should not be making prolonged (like more than a second) eye contact with each other either. if either of them does get tense, distract the tense one away with a treat or petting or whatever they like. then let them go back in, breaking it up as necessary. my dog can get tense when she's introduced to new dogs, and taking the introduction in short steps has really helped her be more relaxed about it.

there's a great, short book called "calming signals" by turid ruugas that covers the basics of canine body language. it's really helped me to understand what my dog is feeling, and it includes some things you can do yourself to calm a dog down. i'd highly recommend it to any dog owner, but especially one who is about to introduce a dog to their new roomie.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
oops, old thread!

mec4u, it's really entirely up to you. losing pets is an inevitable part of having pets. it's a tradeoff, and only you know if it's worth it to you. i think you should go into getting a dog with the knowledge that it could predecease you, no matter how old you are when you get it. you just never know. i just had a cat die at 3 years old, for instance. it was hard, but i knew i gave him the best life i could. it makes me really sad if i think about the fact that all of my pets are probably going to die before i do, but their companionship is worth it to me. and remember, if you go first, the dog is going to be really sad!

if you don't think you can handle a pet of your own, you could think about fostering dogs for a rescue, or volunteering at a shelter. that way you can hang out with dogs and help them, but not have the long term commitment and inevitable loss. of course, the flip side is you can get attached to the dogs you foster and have trouble letting them go.

also, if you do get a dog, please don't spoil it with treats or lack of structure! that's really not doing the dog any favors. pugs are susceptible to weight problems, which is a really serious health issue. and dogs WANT to have structure and have jobs to do, whether they're a true working dog or a lap dog who does tricks and obedience. letting a dog do whatever it wants isn't good for the dog or for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs