Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, our dog Wally, refused to take his morning potty break since it was raining and previously it was thundering. Tried treats, coaxing, etc. to no avail. Eventually hubby had to give up because we would have been late for work and he had morning meetings. He got tied up and forgot to ask our retired FIL to come over and give him a potty break so when we got home, lo and behold we went upstairs and discovered poop and pee on our carpeted floor upstairs :/ At first we were surprised that he didn't do it on the first floor where there was hard flooring but then we realized that he doesn't associate the second story of our house as "where he lives" (so as far as he was concerned, it was an eligible bathroom spot). with his ligament tear, we keep him on the first floor so that it isn't aggravated.

Obviously this can't go on each and every time that it rains and/or thunders. So, your help, please! He didn't want to go out in the evening either but was barely coaxed out by offering a new peanut butter flavored cookie that he hadn't tried before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 09:52 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My dog hated (hates) getting his feet wet, so we had to walk out to the lawn with him (led) and wait, and wait, and wait....... pee and immediate treat. It can be time consuming.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2018, 09:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Pick him up and put him outside, tell him to do his business and do not take him back inside until he does.
Be the leader of the pack, not the follower.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yesterday, our dog Wally, refused to take his morning potty break since it was raining and previously it was thundering. Tried treats, coaxing, etc. to no avail. Eventually hubby had to give up because we would have been late for work and he had morning meetings. He got tied up and forgot to ask our retired FIL to come over and give him a potty break so when we got home, lo and behold we went upstairs and discovered poop and pee on our carpeted floor upstairs :/ At first we were surprised that he didn't do it on the first floor where there was hard flooring but then we realized that he doesn't associate the second story of our house as "where he lives" (so as far as he was concerned, it was an eligible bathroom spot). with his ligament tear, we keep him on the first floor so that it isn't aggravated.

Obviously this can't go on each and every time that it rains and/or thunders. So, your help, please! He didn't want to go out in the evening either but was barely coaxed out by offering a new peanut butter flavored cookie that he hadn't tried before.
My dogs hate going out in the rain and are very fearful of thunder even when inside. If I have to leave when it's thundering my little guy will try to claw his way out of the room.

I use a wee pad for him at night, so if it's raining both of them can use it.

If he won't go out get a cheap tarp and place it over the carpet with a pee pad on rainy days that he won't go out.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Pick him up and put him outside, tell him to do his business and do not take him back inside until he does.
Be the leader of the pack, not the follower.
Sorry, I'm not picking up a dog that's over 70 lbs and basically a dead weight. I lift weights, but no thanks. That leader thing goes but so far.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Are you walking him on a leash or letting him out in the yard?

If it's a yard, try leashing him and walking him. Use a treat to coax him out. Most dogs can't resist at least peeing once they start moving down the sidewalk.

They can clutch poop for longer though, but I always say that I'd rather clean up a poop than pee.

Stewarts Chicken Liver treats are the most motivational treats I have found

Old 03-29-2018, 11:05 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Most of mine don't mind, but The Genuine Little Princess hates rain and snow. I make her go outside and she learned quick that she can't go back inside until she potties. She relieves herself real quick and dashes back inside the house.

In order to make this rain training go smoothly, you need to do two things first. Train the dog to walk properly on a leash and put the potty onto a command.

Many, and I would say most, pet dogs are not properly leash trained, so that training is step one. If the dog is leash trained, you won't have to physically drag him out into the rain, no matter how much he dislikes it.

If the dog has a potty command, you can tell him what behavior will get him back inside quickly. If you move him swiftly back inside as soon as he relieves himself, he won't take many trips into the rain before he figures out how to get out of the rain fast.

I can stand under the covered patio and stay dry while The Genuine Little Princess dashes about one foot onto the lawn, does her business, and then dashes for shelter. She knows she won't get back inside until she pees, so she pees fast to get it over with.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 AM

He's decent on a leash. No walks due to ligament tear. He absolutely doesn't like walks. He potties in the back yard and has had zero accidents since we've owned him (six months). He is very housetrained, which is remarkable given that he was a stray in his previous life. Maybe being outside with no shelter (he was found in a field) for a while has made him very anxious when it comes to thunder and rain?

He won't voluntarily go outside. We'd have to drag him by his collar and at the end of the day, that wouldn't work. He's a very sensitive dog too...VERY sensitive to tone of voice and body language. His response would be to cower/shut down/show deference. We don't want to undo all of his good habits trying to force him to go potty because that is exactly what would happen if you're too heavy handed with this dog.

Our Golden wasn't as sensitive as this one, so the "leave him outside" thing would probably work. He hated the rain too but he got over that pretty quickly, with the requisite "if I gotta go out there, then you're coming with me". Sensitive dogs are another animal in general. This would be our first. LOL each dog is different and you love them warts and all...he's great where it counts (loves people and especially children) but still...

Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Kinda sounds like our rescue, any firm tone of voice and he hangs his head to the ground, which is an improvement over peeing.

He also does not like to go out when asked. We find giving small tugs on collar with a good treat helpful. Barring that we push him out the door with lots of cheerleading (he's 90 lbs). While stubborn about it, it does not seem to stress him out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My dachshund is the same way, but at least we can pick him up and place him in the grass. If we hold an umbrella over him, sometimes he gets done before he figures out it’s raining.

He’s afraid of thunder and we are under a flight path. When the military jets go over, he won’t go out either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs