Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 44,451 times

Advertisements

My 8 yr old Shar pei/Lab/Basset Hound mix, Ebony was diagnosed with Shar pei Fever in Feb '08. The episode was somewhat mild - lameness, fever of 103.9. The fever lasted a few hours and I decided to return home w/ her from the ER vet once she started to act herself.

I had no idea what Shar Pei fever was until that day. The dr explained that it was a common condition seen in Shar peis. I didn't realized the seriousness of the disease at the time.

A few mths later (May to be exact), I came home to find Ebony not greeting me at the door with her brother (pug) & sister (spitz), but laying under the kitchen table, shaking, experiencing labored breathing and unable to walk. I ran to the store to buy a therometer. I returned home 10 minutes later to find her laying in the middle of the kitchen in her own urine (she's house broken). Her temp was 107.5!
I rushed her to the ER vet. Her fever broke early the next morning.

3 wks ago the lameness occurred again and I rushed her to the vet....she was given a weeks worth of rimidyl (sp) and Colchicine (.6 mg) to be given daily along w/ anti-acids.

Last night, another episode occurred. I ran out of rimidyl but had some left over from the spitz which a gave her, doused her w/ water and placed a fan towards her (as the ER vet did the same when her fever was 107.5). Her fever was 104.3. A few hours later her temp was back to normal.

To make a long story short - I wanted inform others of my experience and at the time wanted to know if others had the same issues arise while on Cohchicine. I never tried baby aspirin - I was afraid to as she is already on Cohchine.

It appears to be happening so frequently that I'm really worried. I don't want to do anything during my free time that keeps me away too long for fear that she have a fever in my absence.

Although her bloodwork and urinalysis came up normal a few wks ago, do the frequent fevers imply she's near the end? I want to do as much as I can to prolong her life provided the quality is not affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 44,205 times
Default Never Give Aspirin!!!

I was just yesterday at the vet with my baby "bia" and he told us never, i rpt, never to give aspirin, tylenol, etc to our dog with sharpei fever. Instead of reducing the problem it makes it worse.
Regards, manuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
anyone familiar with this? Our boy kooper we believe has it. We've been to the vet many times, the have run cbc panels and just about everything else known to mankind, but everytime they say they don't believe he has it. But he came up lame again with tremendous swelling in his hocks and foot and basically is a tri-pod now. He has a fever, his eyes look terrible, and his urine is a dark yellow. We believe he may be starting to have renal failure, which is a secondary cause of death due to fsf. We are giving him aspirin, but we cannot give him much else due to probable kidney issues. And no steroids.

We just don't want him to suffer. After everything i've read the past several days about fsf, i don't think i want to get another shar pei. I read that 50% of shar peis will get fsf. We are no most concerned for his brother, because if kooper does succumb, kaymus won't know what to do without kooper.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 44,205 times
We have started to use:
Colchicine:
Colchicine is a drug that has been in use in people with FMF to prevent amyloidosis. It is currently being recommended in Shar-Pei with FSF for the same purpose. No studies have been completed to determine if it is useful for this purpose in the Shar-Pei or not. The clinical impression is that it does help. Those dogs on colchicine seem to have fewer FSF episodes and less severe signs while on the drug. Side-effects appear to be minimal at this time and are primarily gastrointestinal such as vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia (decreased appetite), etc.

No immediate results yet but we were ensured that it will work. It is definitive daily treatment if you want your dog to live long with some quality of life. When your doctor gives you the prescription you can get a bottle of 100 pills (very small and easy to feed) at WALGREENS for aprox 24 $. Be careful and search around as prices for this drug can vary tremendously.
Regards,
Manuel & of course Bia !

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Anyone familiar with this? Our boy Kooper we believe has it. We've been to the vet many times, the have run CBC panels and just about everything else known to mankind, but everytime they say they don't believe he has it. But he came up lame again with tremendous swelling in his hocks and foot and basically is a tri-pod now. He has a fever, his eyes look terrible, and his urine is a dark yellow. We believe he may be starting to have renal failure, which is a secondary cause of death due to FSF. We are giving him aspirin, but we cannot give him much else due to probable kidney issues. And no steroids.

We just don't want him to suffer. After everything I've read the past several days about FSF, I don't think I want to get another Shar Pei. I read that 50% of shar peis will get FSF. We are no most concerned for his brother, because if Kooper does succumb, Kaymus won't know what to do without Kooper.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 44,451 times
Manuel -
My 8 yr Shar Pei mix was diagnosed recently w/ FSF. She has been on Colchicine for about 3 mths. Since then, she's had two fever...but never as bad as they were prior to the meds.

Her bone marrow as well as her blood work was checked today and they're fine. My Vet has advised me that I have her blood work done every 3 mths.

This morning she had a fever of about 106. I immediately gave her colchicine, doused her w/ water and pointed a fan towards her (full blast) and kept checking her temp every 20 minutes - It dropped to 102.5 in about 4 hrs (it was what the ER vets did 5 mths ago when her fever was @ 107)

I also spoke w/ the vet - he suggested that during the next episode - give rimadyl during the time of the fever as well to help bring it down faster...

Thought I'd share my exp to another...here is a website I found that was quite informative:

http://www.drjwv.com/article.php?view=0004.php

Hope everything turns out well!

Last edited by leorah; 09-18-2008 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 21,923 times
Default Shar-pei fever

I have had a sharp-pei that was diagnosed with FSF. He received this diagnosis at 9 weeks of age and began a colchicine therapy that lasted through his 6 year life. He had "episodes" of fever and swollen hock through his life. I had him on the therapy by Dr. Linda Tintle in NY. My vet, Rick Hovis spoke with her and this therapy did well through his life. His renal reports showed some slight kidney dysfunction, but he died at the age of six with cardiomyopathy. We had him autopsied, (the only way to know if he had amyloidosis), and his kidneys showed as being a little smaller than normal but no amyloid problem. The other side to this disease is that it can affect the heart too. I gave my shar-pei, colchicine and rimydil when his outbreaks occurred. I also would give him aspirin, when I ran out of rimydil. I also put him on the lowest protein dog food that I could, as my vet and I was concerned of the protein overload to the kidney. My shar-pei would spike fevers up to 105 but I was able to lower them with the rimydil or the aspirin. He would not eat much and his hock would swell. I could even tell his muzzle would be swollen too--probably aiding in the lack of appetite. Good luck with you pei and they can live a long life. Do all you can to stop the protein spillage and also listen for a coughing or sudden tiredness, as cardiomyopathy could result. I did a lot of research and this disease makes an owner feel so unable to help their pet. lots of love and a good vet who will find out all he/she can about this disease is a must. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Once any animal goes into advanced renal failure, there's not a lot that can be done short of hemodialysis. Kidney disease is undetectable until it is in it's advanced stages. Prevention is the best cure.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 21,825 times
Default Disorders in Shar Pei - Does Anyone Know?

Shar Pei Fever sounds to be quite the challenge. I have been researching the breed a bit more recently, as of last month when I became aware of a certain little pup and his family. With all that he & they have been through together, I certainly hope that no other health issues will crop up (knock on wood & saying prayers).

I can't find a page such as this that is dedicated to another disorder known in Shar Pei, does anyone know of such a page regarding Shar Pei, Megaesophagus, and Hiatal Herniations, not to leave out Aspiration Pneumonia? I've wondered it there might be a discussion group or an offshoot of the health and genetics committee of the parent club, perhaps?

Anyway, I would like to draw your attention to a new page at my website([URL="http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org"]www.caninemegaesophagus.org[/URL]). The focus is on one very special little blue Shar Pei pup, diagnosed with Aspiration Pneumonia and consequently megaesophagus and hiatal hernia were also discovered.

The URL is:
Draco Comes Home (http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org/Draco_Comes_Home.html - broken link)
We are focused on those last two words - he was able to come home! The diagnostic summary should be added by week's end, as well as a conclusion/summary to this chapter the family & Draco are doing their best to put behind them.

I think it important to share knowledge. I am wondering if others are aware of Shar Peis, either puppies or adults, who are currently living with this disorder? There is some literature to this regard (research reports), but there does not seem to be much that is more recent. If you know of others, it would be good for Draco's family to have a support network of Shar Pei people with like experiences. Please let me know and I will put you in touch. I want the best for this pup and his family. They have become extra precious to me through the past few weeks.
Sincerely,

Peg McIntyre
Founder, cmERp
[URL="http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org"]Canine Megaesophagus Education & Research Project[/URL]

Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 24,301 times
Hi, I have a 7 year old Sharpei named Emma. Since she has been 2 years old we have had bouts of Sharpei Fever/Hock Joint infection occuring. Normally it would be twice a year - six months apart. We could always count on this happeneing like clock work. I've read the posts and alot of the Sharpei owners here haven't had much information given to them regarding Sharpei Fever/Hock Joint Infection. I would like to share the information and treatment that has taken place with Emma so that maybe your babies are kept healthy longer and live to a wonderful age!

From what I've learned about Sharpei Fever/Hock Joint Infection is that 90% of Sharpei's will come down with a form of the fever sometime in there lives. It is present through their genes and generally passed down from many years of a blood line. (Now, we haven't been told that Emma a complete FULL blood sharpei - we think she is mixed between a Sharpei and a Pit due to the way her structure is - but have been told by numerous vets she is 100% sharpei - not sure...with saying this SF/HJI normally occurs in full blooded sharpeis).

The first few years our vet here in Jackson, MI (Blackman Animal Clinic -WONDERFUL VET IF ANYONE IS LOCAL OR WILLING TO DRIVE - WELL WORTH IT!) would give her a shot to bring down her fever (highest was 105 when younger) normally called Ketofen 100mg/ml (fever reducer), followed by pill form Pretzon (antibotic) and 750mg of Cephalexin (antibotic). I was told the Hock Joint Infection was the cause of the fever. The antibotics were structured to help get rid of the infection. The infection is something I have not been able to find out of why she get this. I have been told many other breeds come down with it as well. As time has gone on and she has gotten older we have made the decision to take Pretzone out of the equation due to issues that are generally present with kidneys after a period of time. With this said, there might be something else out there to give to get their temps down, but Ketofen has worked very fast for us everytime she has been given it. If your vet gives them something as a fever reducer (in injection form) ask them if it can hurt their kidneys/liver - (we just had an occurance and our vet was at lunch and not answering the phones - the vet we took her too said they had something to give her, but would most certainly hurt her kidneys if they did. We did not give her the shot and I unfortunately was unable to obtain the name of the injection.)

As Emma gets older we noticed if we put her on a low dose (250mg) of just the Cephalexin every 6 months it stopped the infection and the reoccurance of her coming down sick. Until Feb 2, 2010 (temp was 102 when seen by a vet) she hadn't been sick in over a year. She came down sick just yesturday (March 15, 2010) and with this visit her temp got to 106 (highest it has ever gotten). She was given 100mg/ml of Ketofen (injection form), 300000 IU/ml of Pennicylin (injection form - yes this is the amount printed on my medical record I get from the vet) and 750mg Cephalexin to give for the next week. She seems to be doing okay, she is eating and drinking water, but this morning she ended up throwing up her dinner from last night. Temp is down to 99.6 (normal temp) and she seems happy and good. We are thinking it was the case of being so sick and stressed out that it finally just made her sick. Our vet reccommends using a rectal thermometer and taking her temp for 48 hours after she gets sick just to make sure the temp is going away or gone. Record these temps - it helps with talking to the vet :-)

I hope the information I have provided is some help to those of you either new to the Sharpei world or ones that have recently bough a baby and have been recently diagnosed with this problem. For those of you who have just found out - my heart goes out to you. Its hard to deal with, very stressful and sad to hear the outcomes of what will happen eventually with their kidneys/liver. I stress the fact of having Urine tested done - it can help catch and prevent these items from taking your baby from you sooner then they should go. I've been asked by a lot of people if I would ever buy another Sharpei - my answer is no. I love my "angel girl" (as she is called ) but the stress of not knowing what to expect is very hard on me. She is my angel and I will miss her when she is taken from me, but until then I will do what I can to make sure her life is as wonderful as I possible. Another note to "new" owners of Sharpeis - look into the pet insurance! If you get this insurance BEFORE the first time your pet comes down sick you WILL be able to use it and just knowing how much I've spent it would have been well worth it. Enjoy your baby as much as possible.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns! I also would be happy to ask my vet anything that I may not know the answer to and promise to get back to you as soon as possible.

Nikki

**Side note there was a poster on here that mentioned giving your dog asprine can hurt them while having SF/HJI - my vet says to give Emma an asprine (adult 325mg only 1), I've not heard from any of my vets over the years that it will harm them - but be aware of the weight difference with the doseage - and ALWAYS ALWAYS talk to your vet before you give your baby asprine - it might hurt in some cases. It is a wonderful maintenance drug for a high fever. They also make canine asprine you can get at your local pet store - but human asprine is the same without the sugary coating**

Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 20,249 times
Default Cochicine everyday for prevention and fluids and aspirin for episodes

Dear all, ,
I have rescued shar peis and shar pei mixes for many years now. Some get the "shar pei fever" and some do not. My current lab shar pei mix does get it.
After many ER visits and the vet always thinking it was his "teeth (since the muzzle is involved and becomes swollen and painful) as well as the hocks and even sometimes the front legs....over 6 years of this I have learned the important thing during these events is to: give sub Q fluids (IVs under the skin-amount of fluid depends on the size of the dog- you should ask your vet and also ask them if you can buy some IVs and tubing/needles so that you can treat the pet at home the next time this occurs-with all of the extra shar pei skin it is very easy for you to do this yourself),, encourage the dog to drink cold water, a calm quiet place for the dog to lie down , 100 mg of Benadry (1 mg per pound- my dog is 95 lbs) and Rimadyl OR Aspirin 325 mg (preferably not the enteric coated as studies have shown the dogs stomach cannto break down the enteric coating) every 6 hours.

Hewey is my dogs name- he is also on continuos colchicine 0.6mg 2 tabs everyday (give in some baby food -used to treat gout in humans- no side effects noted in Hewey after years of treatment-colchicine helps to prevent the renal amloidosis=kidney failure- and makes the shar pei fever occurrences fewer and far between.

I no longer take him to the ER vet when the fevers occur because the stress makes his fever go higher and unless you have a vet that will listen to you educate them on shar pei fever or a vet that specializes in shar pei's it is a waste of money and a lot of stress for the dog. Remember- pain and stress also increase a dog's temperature and heart rate.

Homeopathic treatments for FSF (if your shar pei is not allergic to any of these):
2000mg fish oil everyday
100-500mg Curcumin
100 mg Boswella
B complex 1000 ucg (micrograms) everyday
MSM with molybdenum
Selenium with Vitamin E
Magnesium 250 mg (NOT Magnesium OXIDE)

For more information and possible homeopathic supplements to help prevent shar pei fever go to :
petplace.com. Dr Erika DePapp
www.siosalachshar-pei.com/shar-pei/amloidosis.htm (http://www.siosalachshar-pei.com/shar-pei/amloidosis.htm - broken link)
[URL="http://www.drjwv.com"]www.drjwv.com[/URL]

ALso- my mention of Aspirin above is for these situations only- if you have to start giving aspirin frequently this is nto good and coudl cause stoach bleeds- look for black poop. To get the fever down I sometimes have to give 650 mg (2 adult aspirin) when I first see Hewey shaking (cold paws and shaking are signs of fever) . I offer him cold water to drink too- if Muzzle is hot and heavy and painful the dog will nto want to bend down to drink so lift it up to their mouth or give them water with a syringe.

Best of luck,

Kelly Hanna

Old 12-24-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 18,577 times
My male Shar-pei was diagnosed with Shar-pei fever about 5 years ago. From my research it is often brought about by a stressful occurrence or injury, with my guy he had been attacked by 3 dogs and ripped wide open and had close to 80 stitches before I got him. I got him just as his stitches were healed but he never fully recovered. He had ggod days but mostly bad. I had his back to the vet for more tests, antibiotics etc until he was to the point of walking with his two front legs or I had to pack him out to go pee etc. My vet told me that Kato was being stoic and that he was in extreme pain and the kindest thing I could do was to put him down. He said to give him 2 low dose coated aspirin for pain as necessary to keep him comfortable.

I was told with Shar-pei Fever they rarely live past 2 yrs old. I didn't want him to suffer but I couldn't bare the thought of putting him down. It was Wed so I booked to have him put down on Monday, I left the vets crying and took the next two days off so I could spend the next 4 days with my little buddy.

Plus I researched everything I could and discovered many Shar-pei's have a problem processing protein and it calcifies in their kidney and liver and causes great pain. I cut out ALL protein and only fed him a veggie stew I made I cooked up, potatoes, sweet potato, carrot, turnip, broccoli, cauliflower, and brown rice. Then I started giving him regular digestive enzymes that you get at the drug store. I gave him a digestive enzyme and 2 low dose aspirin 3 times a day and only fed him the veggie stew.

Monday morning I was getting his breakfast ready and I thought I heard his nails on the floor. I thought I must be hearing things out of wishful thinking but I looked down and there he was standing there wagging his tail. He was walking on all 4's!!!

He has never looked back, if he gets too much exercise he will limp but other than that he is a healthy happy pooch. I now feed him vegetarian dry dog food. I usually mix it with a homemade veggie stew and a bit of tuna. I added dry beans to the stew for protein. I hope this info helps someone. I swear the digestive enzymes saved his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs