Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 08:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times

Advertisements

We went to a local park to fly my daughter's kite. Unfortunately the park used to be really nice to go to, now its just way overcrowded. We had our Cocker Mix, Tazz, with us and we always put his harness on when we go to the park. So after we flew the kite my daughter wanted to go play on the swings and the slide for a few minutes (it was getting dark). I said ok and that I would keep Tazz by the trail (he cant go into the park area because of signs posted) so my husband was going to take her. We were all walking through the parking lot since I had a bag to throw away and this guy was running with his dog (looked like a Maltese).

So we’re still walking when the guy’s dog slips the collar and runs up to Tazz. All is fine, Tazz just sniffs him and the other dog sniffs him. My husband was able to pick the guy’s dog up and handed it to him since he was smaller than Tazz. Well, the guy drops the dog again (the dog tried to get out of his arms) and then goes up to Tazz again. I’m trying to separate them just so the guy doesn’t reach down and try to get his dog. I was concerned that Tazz would feel threatened and may try to bite.

Well, his dog proceeds to go off on Tazz and tries to bite him over and over! Well, that was all Tazz needed. So Tazz goes off and is defending himself against this dog! Thank God I didn’t see this part or I would have totally lost it. I know it was an accident but I think mother’s instinct may have gotten me in trouble. The guy runs after his dog again, and this time trips and falls right on top of my 2 year old daughter!!! This is all on cement of course. I had my back turned, thank God, and I hear her crying but I thought she was crying because the dogs were fighting.

The guy started apologizing over and over and forgot about his dog attacking Tazz and was at least trying to make sure my baby was ok. (at this point I could have cared less about his stupid dog too). So finally I don’t even know how it happened but he got his dog away from mine. The guy was limping pretty bad because it turns out he had a metal hip! So he limped all the way back to his car….my daughter cried the entire way to our car and home, and Tazz, well he seemed fine.

I checked my daughter over from head to toe and she is fine other than a big scrape on her elbow. But that entire night she was just traumatized. She kept saying “Mommy people fall on me, that man fall down on me”. “I don’t want to go to the park, I want to go to the other park”. (we have a small park in our neighborhood she loves).

We never did exchange information with the guy. I was just so mad I wanted to get into the car and go home. I knew my child had no broken bones and my dog seemed ok.

However, that was Thursday night. Tazz was fine that night and Friday night but last night (Saturday) he started acting different. Tonight its been really bad. He can barely get up our steps when we let him outside to go potty. He cant jump into bed and can barely make it up on the couch without crying out. Something is hurt but we dont know what. My husband checked him over real good, trying to feel his paws and his legs to see if he would wince. Nothing, although he was being very cautious. So now we're taking our dog into the vet tomorrow to have him looked at. Tazz had an accident at home a few months ago where he was chasing me full speed in the backyard and ran into a poll. OUCH! I know he was hurt after that but within a few days he was ok. Now I'm wondering if maybe he reinjured it?

What a crazy weekend though. I just want to have my doggie looked at now and hear that he is ok. I feel so sad that he is not feeling well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
wow bad evening and not feel sorry for MR bad hip. If just kept dog after escaped first time all this trauma not happen to daughter or dog.
Update us on Tazz.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM

Tazz just came back from the vet. The doctor was great and checked him over from head to toe. His neck, his spine, his legs, paws, etc. Turns out Tazz has a knee that likes to pop out of place! This the first we've ever heard of it, but this is also the first time I felt the vet really took the time to really check him over good (we just changed vets). The doctor gave him some pain pills and said we can see how he does, and to update him in a week. If he starts going back again we may need to do knee surgery! He said it could cost around $600-800 (I was thinking alot more) but not to go that far yet. He wants to make sure we're looking at the right problem. The doctor messed with his knee and put it in place (he also had me feel it move side to side, GROSS) and now Tazz is running fine!!! So I guess all is well. He said he really doesnt think the knee would have slipped like that during the fight. It seems like it may have been a problem he has had for a little while.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Wow, its amazing how inconsiderate some people are with their pets. that guy should have given you his info after he fell on your daughter. I would take her back to the park to show her that she has nothing to fear. if you keep her away, she will feel justified with her new fear.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
What a night mare Don't you wish that some people just wouldn't leave their homes?

As far as the knee, patella luxation is very common in smaller dogs. In the less severe cases, it kind of pops out and the dog is able to pop it back in on its own. My friends dog knows to do a little hop and kick the leg and the knee cap goes back in the groove. The more serious cases may require surgery because instead of spending most time in the groove where it belongs, the knee cap is actually permanently out and can't be popped back in any more.

I think it's genetics that largely determines this, so it isn't likely that the incident caused it, though it has definitely caused you alot of hassle! Maybe Tazz was just sore from this dog bugging him (if it jumped on him or if he as trying to get away from it).

Good luck, I hope Tazz (and your daughter) are feeling better.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:57 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
Wi Girl... sorry to hear about the park incident. That is why I don't take my dog there - she is an austrailian shepherd (miniture) and any dog bigger than her & children for some reason get in her face .. I just don't know how she'lll react. I've been to training, etc and I just don't know what she'll do. She is very sweet, but I know that I can't trust her..so I just don't go. Having that said.

The knee popping out used to happen to my dog. I got it fixed. This is when she was young.. around 2 yrs maybe 3 yrs old. Then the other knee started doing it. I did not fix that one, and she "grew" out of it. I hear that happens a lot. I don't know if your dog is young, but it so, maybe give it time. I'm glad your daughter is ok.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
how old is Taz? My friends pup had a knee that popped out but as she got older it fixed itself.

So sorry you had a crazy park experience

Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments! Tazz is 9 years old (we think anyway, he was rescued from a shelter so we dont know exact age) and we can tell that he is starting to slow down. He is doing fine on the pain meds but we've noticed that in the mornings and sometimes late afternoons he has a hard time with the steps again. He is favoring his left hind leg, which is the one that has the knee problem. We've seen him favor here and there but nothing like he is now. It may be just more obivous also since the vet pointed it out to us. We're going to wait and see how he does a week on the pain meds. The vet suggested we check back with him and worst case we'll have X-rays done to see how severe the patella luxation is.

THanks again for all your well wishes! Here are some pics of my baby:

Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 46,681 times
What a beautiful dog!
I hope your daughter and dog are doing okay.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:33 PM

Another followup on Tazz:

He is doing WONDERFUL! Its been a week now since the incident at the park and he only had to have 4 days of pain meds (half a pill each day) and now he seems back to his normal self again. He is back to jumping up on our couch, in our bed, etc. He is still cautious with jumping on the bed and sometimes in the morning he decides to just go lay on his bed (which I put in our bedroom) rather than to jump back on the bed. But overall he's made a great recovery and is also playing again! I'm just glad to know that his left knee can be a problem so now we can keep an eye on it and make sure that its not causing him any pain.

Also, my daughter is doing fine and she has finally stopped talking about the "people who fall down on her". Her elbow is almost healed too.

I'm so glad my children are ok!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs