Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 19,625 times

Advertisements

So a few days ago we ended up buying a puppy from a pet store... We were just going in to play with the puppies and we fell in love with one... They told us he was a malti-poo (maltese poodle hybrid).

However, after looking at pictures of maltipoos I don't think he is... I always was a little skeptical of his breed because I can't see the maltese in him.. I love him no matter what he is, but I'm just very curious...

He is about 12 weeks and just over 3 lbs

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
I don't know what kind of dog my puppy is!!  Help-cnv0001.jpg   I don't know what kind of dog my puppy is!!  Help-cnv0003.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,924,481 times
He doesn't look anything like a poodle/maltese mix, more like a jack russell and poodle or maltese mix.

Sure is a cutie!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
All I can tell is the toy is too big for the pup!! Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-31-2008 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: sorry, not the place for personal statements

Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,282,507 times
ohhh he's darling!
looks like Jack russel something to me!!!

he'll grow into his toy. Cody likes toys to big for him as well! He always wants to biggest stick in the yard which is 3 times his size!

Best of luck! ENJOY PUPPY.
What did u name him? ...jack?

....... kinda reminds me of tramp from lady and the tramp!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,286,387 times
I'm seeing terrier ears and the build reminds me of a Jack Russel terrier.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,359,663 times
I honestly see no Maltese in that pup. also, I've NEVER seen a parti-colored poodle or a Maltese that was any color but solid white/slightly off white. I can't imagine any Maltese/poodle mix not being a solid color.

that pup DOES look like he has a bit of JRT or some other terrier in him. the ears and the blaze down his nose all scream "JRT!" at me (blazes are common in JRTS, not seen in either poodles or Maltese). at 12 weeks/3lbs, it's possible he has a bit of chihuahua in him. maybe a long haired chi/JRT mix?

if there is even a remote chance this pup has JRT/terrier in him, I'd do some research on this breed ASAP! JRTs can be difficult dogs to own for some people. they tend to have a lot of energy and need to be kept occupied. the temperament of a JRT (and most terriers in general) has little in common w/ the temperament of a Maltese and poodle.

Last edited by eevee; 03-31-2008 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,282,507 times
bgat,

jacks are like aussies, shelties and border collies in the need to do things. They are so much fun!!!!! I'd buy one except I'm not allowed to add pets until we are done having children ...silly rules! =)

Give him toys to chew on to prevent chew-age of your stuff.

Ask him for tricks daily as they wear out his brain ...teach him new tricks or play
shaping games(look up shaping) as they tire his brain and that is the key to high energy breed success! Take him for walks and ask for sits and stays randomly(w/ treats at first). put him on a long leash and start asking him to come to u while slowly adding distractions, as they do like to chance anything that moves.

They are awesome at agility and fly ball if you are interested in getting involved in a sports.

They are silly and love goofy games so have alot of fun w/ puppy.
Regardless where u got him congrats on the pup!

=)

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,231,067 times
I would say JRT definitely, the ears and face are just like mine. The other part is hard to tell with him being fluffy.
Jacks can be hard to potty train too.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 19,625 times
thanks everyone for your help... I'm a little upset that the pet store didn't know what he was... wonder if they mischarged me too..

Regardless though he seems to be a great dog and we've been having a lot of fun with him!!!

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,486,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGat View Post
thanks everyone for your help... I'm a little upset that the pet store didn't know what he was... wonder if they mischarged me too..
And since they don't really seem to be familiar with the dogs they are selling (he certainly does look like a terrier mix), I would be wary of any other information they gave you (medical records, etc.). I would just start from scratch and let your vet guide you as to what the pup needs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs