Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Speaking of ice:

https://www.icybreeze.com/blog/how-t...-the-safe-way/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 PM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I've got battery powered cage fans that have an ice ring that can be frozen and snapped into the fan. They are probably available at any website that sells dog show equipment.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:18 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've got battery powered cage fans that have an ice ring that can be frozen and snapped into the fan. They are probably available at any website that sells dog show equipment.
Thanks! I looked at the truck yesterday. It will be a tight fit but I think I will put them in the cab during the day, not because of the heat but because of busybodies, and put them in the car where they can sleep comfortably during the evening hours. My little one might be able to go under the passenger seat and the bigger one on the floor between the seats (it has no console). It isn’t ideal but I won’t have to worry about anyone getting their panties in a wad.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:34 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,973 times
Avon rentals has a crew cab truck, I'd call Enterprise, Penske, U-haul etc and ask if they have any crew cab trucks you can reserve, anything with 4 doors. Even an extra cab type truck might have the room you need.

https://www.avonrents.com/vehicles/5-ton-crew-cab/

https://www.avonrents.com/vehicles/3-ton-crew-cab/

Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Avon rentals has a crew cab truck, I'd call Enterprise, Penske, U-haul etc and ask if they have any crew cab trucks you can reserve, anything with 4 doors. Even an extra cab type truck might have the room you need.

https://www.avonrents.com/vehicles/5-ton-crew-cab/

https://www.avonrents.com/vehicles/3-ton-crew-cab/
Those would be great but they are local to Cali. I looked at U-Haul, Budget, and Penske and their trucks are all basically alike. I wish they did have trucks like that! That would be the ideal solution!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:21 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Our boys used to get hair all over them and stepped on in the backseat of our truck by our lab when they were young. One time, when we towed our travel trailer two hours to the lake, I came up with a similar idea of setting up a bed for her in the trailer (she LOVED being in the trailer).

When we stopped half way for a break and some ice cream cones, I went to check her and she was very nervous and wanted OUT of the trailer. I guess she only liked it when it was parked and when her humans were in there with her. She rode the rest of the way between the boys. She was a happy dog to be out of the trailer.

OP, if you do decide to give your dogs a try riding in the car alone, dogs have always ridden in cars but cars haven't always had AC. Just leave the windows part way down to keep them comfortable. As long as they have access to water and you check them every hour or so to see how they are doing (mentally-stressed looking, panting, etc) they should be okay.

You know your dogs, and if they are stressed right from the start because they aren't with you, then you should let them ride in the vehicle with you.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:25 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,001,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
This from the person who wants to tow their dogs in a car behind a truck through 4 states in 80 degree temperatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
My dogs are healthy and will not be suffering or in pain, or even remotely uncomfortable. My dogs will be sleeping comfortably in their dog beds in the back seat of a car, like they did today for 5 hours - without food, water, or a potty break the entire time. OMG - five WHOLE HOURS!!! Plus one of those hours was without AC because I wanted to see how bad it was without it since it was 100 degrees out. I finally caved because I couldn’t hear the damn radio over the wind - dogs were still sleeping in the back giving no indication they noticed any difference between the windows being down or the ac on. They also walked 4 miles this morning when it was about 95 degrees out, and spent another 20 minutes out when it was 104 - ~gasp!~ Right now, they are both sleeping in crates, in a strange place. OMG! You think they’ll survive? Still not suffering though.
Putting these into the appropriate thread. Ottor, very interesting how it actually turned out. I will say your dogs sound to be more heat-tolerant than mine - considerably so. Mine might have walked 4 miles in the heat - but one at least would not have been running - and he would have been panting like a steam engine. He stops running at about 75' - so he's a bit of a heat wimp.

You might be interested to know the Coppinger did some work with dog body temps. For him it was because of working with sled dogs. What I recall is that he found the dogs panting could keep the local head (brain) temps down to an acceptable level even when the body core temp was several degrees higher. AMOF, I seem to remember the core temp would have been a near-fatal temp - if the head was the same temp. Which would apply to humans. Must be something to do with the panting cooling the sinus cavities, and thus keeping the brain cool.

Glad to see you took the precautions you did, and sounds like it turned out well.

Last edited by hiero2; 08-18-2018 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-18-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Putting these into the appropriate thread. Ottor, very interesting how it actually turned out. I will say your dogs sound to be more heat-tolerant than mine - considerably so. Mine might have walked 4 miles in the heat - but one at least would not have been running - and he would have been panting like a steam engine. He stops running at about 75' - so he's a bit of a heat wimp.

You might be interested to know the Coppinger did some work with dog body temps. For him it was because of working with sled dogs. What I recall is that he found the dogs panting could keep the local head (brain) temps down to an acceptable level even when the body core temp was several degrees higher. AMOF, I seem to remember the core temp would have been a near-fatal temp - if the head was the same temp. Which would apply to humans. Must be something to do with the panting cooling the sinus cavities, and thus keeping the brain cool.

Glad to see you took the precautions you did, and sounds like it turned out well.
I haven’t made the move yet, that’s a few weeks away. I just did a road trip for a visit and since it is so hot, I tested to see how tolerable it was with the windows down (just halfway) and the sunroof open. I kept looking in the backseat to see if they were panting and look uncomfortable but other than their beards blowing in the breeze, they hadn’t even changed positions and were still asleep. That’s interesting about the study. I don’t generally walk my dogs in the heat of the day, other than a quick potty break, but if I get a late start in the morning or something calls for me to have them out in the middle of a hot day, I’ll put cooling coats on them and continually soak their heads with cold water. But here, even at 7:30, it’s already creeping up to the mid-90s. I try to keep on the shady side of the streets. It’s still hot but it seems the sun beating down on them, even if the temps are lower, affects them more strongly that just the general hotness. But they still are panting and once inside, they have a big drink and lie around panting a bit. I don’t feed them breakfast until they’ve gotten completely back to normal. On the days I oversleep and can’t get them out the door by no later than 8:00, we have to skip the walk. An hour in the morning can make all the difference to them being able to handle it or not because they really aren’t very heat tolerant, both being black and have thick coats. I see dogs out running with their owners in the middle of the day and I don’t know how either do it! Dogs in general are out all day and the dog parks are full, even when it’s over a hundred but my dogs can’t do that; *I* can’t do that. Now the cold, that's a different story. My little goes out for his long walk when it’s below zero and it doesn’t bother him a bit. Like me, he is energized by it.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:34 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
OP, maybe look into getting a couple of these. You can still roll down the windows but it will keep the sun off them.

https://www.amazon.com/ShadeSox-Univ...oaL&ref=plSrch

I would not open the sunroof as that would allow the sun to beam into the car.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, maybe look into getting a couple of these. You can still roll down the windows but it will keep the sun off them.

https://www.amazon.com/ShadeSox-Univ...oaL&ref=plSrch

I would not open the sunroof as that would allow the sun to beam into the car.
Thanks - I just ordered! I can think of plenty of times those will be handy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs