Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Dogs get lonesome. I'd either have 2 dogs or a dog and a cat. They can keep each other company.
I thought the same thing - so we added another dog and now I have two dogs that sleep all day. I don't really see them entertaining each other when I'm not home. But I do like having 2 dogs anyway.

That said, I work at home 2 days a week and I pay a dog walker the other 3 days to come at lunch and take them on a brief walk.

To the OP - dog walkers are everywhere now - it's nice if you can find someone to let your dogs out or take them for a brief walk in the middle of the day. Even if it's not every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 06:53 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,443 times
I live on a large tract of wooded land, very much fearful of fire, my pup is with me or my wife 24/7.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:16 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The time alone isn't the problem (unless you happen to have a dog with separation anxiety), it's how you spend the time you do have with the dog that matters. If you exercise your dog enough, get their innards on a daily schedule to avoid accidents, make the dog a part of your life and family at those times you ARE home, don't make a big fuss when leaving or returning, most dogs are just fine during a day alone. They know you'll be back. They know they are safe, fed, and cared for, they are in a familiar place that smells like you and smells like them. All's right with their world. Time to nap.

People often make the mistake of creating a fuss as they leave for the day. The person feels guilty about leaving the dog and the dog picks up on it. It becomes an excitable anxious time for the dog, and if it acts out because of the fuss and then gets "rewarded" with more attention when it gets worked up, you've just created an anxious dog. Same thing if you make a fuss over the dog when you come home. You are telling your dog that departures and arrivals are BIG DEALS. Not the lesson you want to teach.

I usually give my dogs a chew or a puzzle treat when I leave. Something to refocus on, something fun and tasty. They don't get the same treat at other times. It shows them that departures are OK and gives the dog something to do for a while. Then it's time to sleep.

As they say, "dogs don't wear stopwatches." As long as they are secure in your routine they don't "miss" you all that much.
^^^^^THIS!

Dogs are highly adaptable, and - generally speaking - as long their needs are met first and last, the 'problem child' isn't created. My last dog was an Australian cattle dog mix who was being considered for euthanasia at our local shelter because of her issues with other dogs (she feared them and could be reactive) as well as her problem with separation anxiety. I adopted her and began the process of teaching her to feel secure while on her own at home, using positive training. I crate-trained her (something that both shelter staff and my vet said wouldn't work with her) and did everything incrementally, tapping into my patience reserve a few times in the process. At the same time I made sure that both her physical and psychological needs were met, never skipping that, as l felt it was one of the most crucial things to address. And in about a month she went from a dog who would panic and destroy anything in her reach if left alone for more than a couple of minutes, to a dog who was secure, calm, and happy. And a year later when I bought a house, I decided to try her without the crate to see how she'd do on her own. She was absolutely fine.

My current dog is a border collie - another high energy breed - and he too is absolutely fine on his own when I leave the house. I don't crate him - only did so while he was going through puppyhood - but I make sure he is exercised every morning and every evening, and gets mental stimulus when I'm home with him. If I have to go out for the day (down to two days a week now, I work from home three days a week) l will give him his breakfast and tell him, "Okay, go eat" as I'm walking out the door. He runs to the kitchen for his meal and I exit, then once he's eaten he settles down for the day and sleeps. And this is a dog who is very nervous by nature.

Unfortunately there seems to be a growing trend these days of people who will bash and attempt to shame others for having a dog stay home alone, saying it is animal cruelty and the person shouldn't have dogs. While in a perfect world all dogs would live in the country, free to run all day, or at the very least be in a home where someone is with them all day, the vast majority of people live in the city and have to work. The thing is, if a dog's needs are met first (and I mean really met, not just a walk around the block or put out in the yard by themselves), and if the owner knows how to teach a dog to be comfortable and secure while on their own, then the dog will enjoy a happy, hopefully long life.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Unfortunately there seems to be a growing trend these days of people who will bash and attempt to shame others for having a dog stay home alone, saying it is animal cruelty and the person shouldn't have dogs. While in a perfect world all dogs would live in the country, free to run all day, or at the very least be in a home where someone is with them all day, the vast majority of people live in the city and have to work. The thing is, if a dog's needs are met first (and I mean really met, not just a walk around the block or put out in the yard by themselves), and if the owner knows how to teach a dog to be comfortable and secure while on their own, then the dog will enjoy a happy, hopefully long life.
Yes, I am hearing this more too. A poster on another thread mentioned canine "helicopter parenting". I had to laugh but it's true. I have heard things like, "Dogs shouldn't be left alone. You wouldn't leave a child alone would you?...." Well, it's an odd comparison. Dogs and children have very different needs.

Not many people are home all day. Society's demographics have changed and for the first time in history singles now outnumber married couples. SAHM's are becoming a thing of the past too. So the thinking that a dog can't be alone would rule out all singles and all working couples. Leaving just the rare stay at home parent, the retired and the chronically unemployed.

I work full time and none of my dogs have exhibited separation anxiety. Well, only one and it is an unadoptable feral I took in. Even in that rare case he only exhibits it if I leave for a few hours on the weekend. There will be drool and scratches on and around the door. I get none of this on weekdays. He feels comfortable with my work routine. He's not crated and seems quite happy. He doesn't destroy anything. He gets plenty of exercise too as I have a large 1/4 acre all fenced yard and I take him for walks on weekends.

Exercise requirements are a consideration and that varies by breed. Some need very little. My neighbor had a dog of the type that barely needs any and could risk getting overheated with too much exercise. She would bring a pram when walking him. No, she didn't think he was a baby, just didn't want to carry him back if he seemed tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs