Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 06:27 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

I went on a longer-than-usual vacation during which his usual dog caretaker needed to drop my dogs off with my cat/house sitter for a couple days. My dogs are very attached to me, and while the Catahoula/pit bounced back at each new scenario, my kelpie became distraught. I've been back for more than 24 hours and he is still not eating.

Both of the sitters he stayed with treated him just fine and he adores both of them. They were not strangers at all, but the usual routine is for the dogs to stay with my one friend at her house (where she has dogs of her own for them to play with), while another friend watches the house and the cat (which is kind of like a vacation for her). This happens multiple times a year without a hitch, but apparently being taken back to my house for two days and me not being there freaked him out entirely. He has not really been eating his kibble since the start of Labor Day weekend. My house sitter could not get him to eat and then when he returned to his usual sitter's house, he was still not eating, though he would accept treats.

I know he's not sick - he eats treats and tidbits from when I'm cooking just fine and there's been no disruption in his pottying or any other behaviors. He's just freaked out - I seriously think he thought I was dead. I have no idea how to reassure him at this point - I mean I'm BACK and clearly not dead. We've snuggle, played with some toys, etc. This is not a dog that has ever turned down food, but I really don't see this as being an illness. He HAS, however, always been a bit of a head case.

Is this just a waiting game or does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? We've got a flyball practice tomorrow night, so I'm hoping the excitement will get his appetite revved. I'm also assuming as we return to our normal schedule, he will feel reassured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 AM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
. . .
Is this just a waiting game or does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? We've got a flyball practice tomorrow night, so I'm hoping the excitement will get his appetite revved. I'm also assuming as we return to our normal schedule, he will feel reassured.
There are legendary tales of Old Shep being left at a train station and not eating until their human reappeared, weeks later. I have to think kelpies are a bit in that mold, at least. Some more than others. But they are in that herding collie type group.

I would go on with your regular routine, and don't sweat it. At least until it has been a few days without food. I would want my vet to be aware of what was going on, though, jic. Put food out at normal feeding times. Leave it for a spell, but pick it up before others start eating it.

I think you know this, but I think it would be important for the dog that you stay calm and act normal, so the dog doesn't pick up on any unintentional signaling or cues from you.

A dog can go without food for quite a few days, and not really suffer from it. They will lose a few pounds, of course, but all should come back right when they start eating again.

If the dog was also refusing treats, or water, I would be a LOT more concerned.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There are legendary tales of Old Shep being left at a train station and not eating until their human reappeared, weeks later. I have to think kelpies are a bit in that mold, at least. Some more than others. But they are in that herding collie type group.

I would go on with your regular routine, and don't sweat it. At least until it has been a few days without food. I would want my vet to be aware of what was going on, though, jic. Put food out at normal feeding times. Leave it for a spell, but pick it up before others start eating it.

I think you know this, but I think it would be important for the dog that you stay calm and act normal, so the dog doesn't pick up on any unintentional signaling or cues from you.

A dog can go without food for quite a few days, and not really suffer from it. They will lose a few pounds, of course, but all should come back right when they start eating again.

If the dog was also refusing treats, or water, I would be a LOT more concerned.

Yep. The loyal little weirdo had NO compunction about stealing some of the cat's food last night. And a bite of chicken from the dinner I was cooking was eagerly accepted. He's fine - just being weird, like herding breeds do.

I wish I could tell him how much I missed him when I was gone.

We get a new foster today - the rescue I work with was apparently pretty desperate. So I'm hoping the temporary new addition will snap him out of it. He LOVES making new friends, and this one is supposed to be a total sweetheart.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
do not make any fuss over him.

Just go about your routine, calmly. Your attitude should be "there's no problem. I'm your leader, and I'm fine."

Old 09-07-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
[/b]

Yep. The loyal little weirdo had NO compunction about stealing some of the cat's food last night. And a bite of chicken from the dinner I was cooking was eagerly accepted. He's fine - just being weird, like herding breeds do.

I wish I could tell him how much I missed him when I was gone.

We get a new foster today - the rescue I work with was apparently pretty desperate. So I'm hoping the temporary new addition will snap him out of it. He LOVES making new friends, and this one is supposed to be a total sweetheart.
I have to admit, your response gave me a chuckle or two! You both are probably back on an even keel already. What with flyball to work out some energy, and a new foster in the house?

Glad your kelpie likes making dog friends, my ES are definitely the other way. They don't like that much change in the first place. If I'm lucky, they are ok with a strange dog, but they often are downright rude.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
From what I've read, dogs thrive on routine, so I would just do what you normally do, and I bet the new foster will help snap him out of it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Yeah he was just stressed.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
How's he doing?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM

He's fine -totally back to normal. I think there might be a small bug going around actually - my other dog's appetite has been a little off as his has recovered. They both rocked the house at their doggie classes last night, so I'm not worried.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
He's fine -totally back to normal. I think there might be a small bug going around actually - my other dog's appetite has been a little off as his has recovered. They both rocked the house at their doggie classes last night, so I'm not worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs