Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,100,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Ok so 48 hours ago I contacted 2 rescues from a popular adoption website. When I was able to get in touch with a person I was retold (also on site) that the dog is in Arkansas and will be transported with other dogs across the mid Atlantic. He seems perfect but wanted to continue looking because there have to be just as perfect dogs closer to me. So today I contacted and applied for a puppy (that happens to be the same exact mix of dog) from a Petco a few towns over here in Virginia. I briefly texted with someone about my application. I only asked if they adopted to people in Richmond if I come get the puppy because I’m somewhat far. The person texted back that they don’t restrict adoption by distance and asked for my name to look up the application (I’m guessing). Haven’t heard back from anyone since. Should I look for another dog? Was I rejected? Do I need to give them more time? My first dog obviously. Sorry I’m not sure how this works.
If you are in Richmond, I'd try Henrico Humane, Richmond Animal League or BARK as well as the SPCA. I got my dogs one from the SPCA and the other from Henrico Humane Society. I have friends that work and RAL, BARK and at Richmond Animal control both often get puppies but they go fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,263,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
If you are in Richmond, I'd try Henrico Humane, Richmond Animal League or BARK as well as the SPCA. I got my dogs one from the SPCA and the other from Henrico Humane Society. I have friends that work and RAL, BARK and at Richmond Animal control both often get puppies but they go fast.
All off these places are still $150-$200 a dog unless you get a senior dog then it’s $75. And they still work with Petco or PetSmart. And still do applications and interviews. I visited their websites and most of the dogs are large or seniors (which I expected smaller dogs to go faster). I guess Richmond just really love their dogs.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
I have adopted from the local shelters and breed specific rescues. The experiences vary widely. I actually do not recommend a shelter for first time dog owner. Now it maybe my local shelters, but IME they were most interested in getting the dogs out to make room for the dogs coming in. Not really an issue for me as I have had enough dogs that I can read between the "shelter speak" and know if a dog is a good fit pretty quick.

The benefit of a good breed specific rescue, is that they will take the time to match you with a dog who best mets your (and the dog's) needs. My youngest dog came into sheltie rescue as a 4 month old pup, and as puppies are rare in that kind of rescue he gots over 50 applications The woman who runs the rescue knew I was looking for a young adult dog with sport potential as I typically find puppies to be a pain. She suggested it would be worth my while to submit and app for him anyway and she was right. He was already completely housebroken, not terribly destructive, and most important, driven. Additionally, he would not have been a balanced, good tempered dog in a house that did not have access to the outlets he needed. Btw, he was not cheap, $400, but he was a puppy and is a purebred, and as such that was cheap.

Oh and don't feel obligated to work with the rescue closest to you. The breed rescue for my state is a hot mess at best so I reached out to a breed specific rescue out of state. They are the best and are worth the three hour drive anytime.

As a new owner, I would suggest you find a breed specific rescue who is willing to work with you. The most important match of all is temperament and they can really help with that.

The only ones I will not even look at are those private rescues that deal in all breeds. I have had very odd experiences with them including the weird demands and exorbitant prices.

Good luck OP.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
All off these places are still $150-$200 a dog unless you get a senior dog then it’s $75. And they still work with Petco or PetSmart. And still do applications and interviews. I visited their websites and most of the dogs are large or seniors (which I expected smaller dogs to go faster). I guess Richmond just really love their dogs.
The cost of the dog is the smallest investment when you are looking at the cost of ownership.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Both of them are dachshund/ pameranian mixes. As a first time pet owner I was considering putting us in doggie training camp. I read the RAL website and it said if I find a dog that’s compatible we can go home together tonight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The cost of the dog is the smallest investment when you are looking at the cost of ownership.
That's a good thought about the cost of the dog - whether it's $100 or $2,000.

Dachsund/pom - well, not a working breed! Although I've been told there are people who raise working dachsunds still, I'm pretty sure they are quite rare! That sounds like a good choice. They might be barky, so you will probably have to deal with that. A training class (doggie training camp) would be a good thing. You need to learn how to train as much as your new dog will need to learn to behave.

The local shelters that people have mentioned will have other smaller dogs who could have the right personality for you. Smaller dogs like this will generally need less exercise. Unless it is one of the rat terrier types - (rat terrier, Jack Russell terrier) - they need work worse than a border collie!

lkb0714's point about it being hard to pick out the right dog from a shelter is a good one. A rescue agency will pre-screen dogs for behavior issues before they get them. A shelter can be a tough experience. Lots of dogs, lots of barking going on, noisy, and no privacy for the dogs. There will be lots of sick looking dogs, too. It's less common these days, as placing the dogs is working a lot better than it used to, but when I last lived where there was a city shelter (more than 20 years ago now), those dogs had about 7 days, and that was it. I always found it a very trying experience when I would visit. With all that stress and commotion, it is hard to judge a dog's personality. But there are things you can look for. Like how calm the dog is, or not. How friendly, or not. How scared - does the dog cringe away, or hide? Growl, whine, or cry?

But they will have a dog who could be a fit for you, sooner or later.

Anyway, my main point is still the same - give yourself and the dog the best chance of success by meeting the dog before you adopt.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I

Now - rescue vs local shelter. Do you HAVE a local shelter? I agree with Katie and NoSnow that a local shelter is going to be cheaper and a lot easier. Most rescue people are moral and upright, but it IS a business for most rescues, and they DO look to make a profit. If they are shipping dogs from somewhere else, they are looking to make a profit.
I'm not sure what source(s) you are getting that info from but one can easily tell if they are a non-profit. If they have a 501(c)3 IRS designation they most definitely are not a business. So if they say that your donation is tax deductible they have that certificate from the IRS.

Anyone selling dogs for a profit should never be called a rescue. They are a business.

My local little rescue, which is a foster based, all volunteer organization spends lots of time and effort on various fund raising campaigns, from yard sales, bake sales, PAWS CAUSE, grant writing, etc. Larger groups in bigger cities often have a physical shelter and some paid staff but they still rely heavily on volunteers and donations, not adoption fees for a large part of their operating expenses.

Dogs and other critters adopted from municipally run, government funded shelters generally have very low fees but do not come fully vetted. My local pound provides nothing but food and water for the dogs they take in no health care at all. Is the dog good with other dogs, cats, kids, food aggressive, house broken, etc.? Does it have an ongoing, chronic health issues that you will have to deal with for the rest of its life? The muni shelter won't be able answer those questions, but a reputable rescue will.

On the other hand a privately funded rescue will generally spay/neuter the animal, get it the appropriate basic vaccines, treat for any obvious health issues, test for heartworm and if positive treat it before adopting out etc. It is usually a little cheaper for the rescue than for a single individual getting a dog from some other source and then needing to vet it.

Will the rescue want you to complete an application and provide references - most will. Most are reasonable in what they want to know about you and require of you, some are too extreme. Remember the goal is to find that animal a good, forever home. Many groups have a return policy that they will take the dog back at any time, for any reason and many require that you return it to them if you are unable to keep it for any reason.

Please keep in mind that pets can be expensive at any age. Can you afford them? One that I got as a young pup cost me over $4,000 in her first 3 months. My current three 12 year old seniors, all adopted just a few years ago have been unusually expensive, each one needing a $3,000 surgery and one has severe allergies that cost about 4 dollars a day to keep her comfortable.

Finally OP, I hope that no matter where you get a dog that you will have lots and lots of really happy, healthy, fun filled years together. No other joy is quite like it.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Even non-profits need to make a profit, or they could not survive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-21-2018, 06:08 PM

255 posts, read 169,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I have adopted from the local shelters and breed specific rescues. The experiences vary widely. I actually do not recommend a shelter for first time dog owner. Now it maybe my local shelters, but IME they were most interested in getting the dogs out to make room for the dogs coming in. Not really an issue for me as I have had enough dogs that I can read between the "shelter speak" and know if a dog is a good fit pretty quick.

The benefit of a good breed specific rescue, is that they will take the time to match you with a dog who best mets your (and the dog's) needs. My youngest dog came into sheltie rescue as a 4 month old pup, and as puppies are rare in that kind of rescue he gots over 50 applications The woman who runs the rescue knew I was looking for a young adult dog with sport potential as I typically find puppies to be a pain. She suggested it would be worth my while to submit and app for him anyway and she was right. He was already completely housebroken, not terribly destructive, and most important, driven. Additionally, he would not have been a balanced, good tempered dog in a house that did not have access to the outlets he needed. Btw, he was not cheap, $400, but he was a puppy and is a purebred, and as such that was cheap.

Oh and don't feel obligated to work with the rescue closest to you. The breed rescue for my state is a hot mess at best so I reached out to a breed specific rescue out of state. They are the best and are worth the three hour drive anytime.

As a new owner, I would suggest you find a breed specific rescue who is willing to work with you. The most important match of all is temperament and they can really help with that.

The only ones I will not even look at are those private rescues that deal in all breeds. I have had very odd experiences with them including the weird demands and exorbitant prices.

Good luck OP.
Yes, I would never consider buying a dog from a shelter but if I did, I would ONLY support breed specific rescues. Unless you are in the south, you will find it very difficult to get your hands on a desirable dog from a shelter or all breeds rescue, especially a puppy. You will find most shelters have only pit bull type dogs. There are a lot of good breed specific rescues but their healthy, young to middle-aged dogs without major "musts" go very quickly. I would suggest volunteering to foster. That way you can try before you buy and if you really like a dog, you can "fail" at fostering; if not, move on to the next one. This is also a website, that I can't for the life of me remember, that is for private owners trying to find an adopter for their dog - they cut out the middleman. I had a friend get her dog that way. I think she paid $50 and they gave her a crate, the dog's leash, food bowls, bed, and all the toys. Oh, and 6 months worth of Heartgard and Advantix that they had already purchased for her!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,592,426 times
I recey adopted a senior dog from a local no kill rescue organization. Not the humane society. These groups tend to be a little disorganized and try to take on more than they probably should which can make things kinda slow. From aplication to the dog being mine took about 2 weeks. it was a long multi step process with lots of reference checks and 3 home visits.

At times I was really frusterated at hearing nothing from the rescue for several days. They were just very busy. I was sure they would decline my aplication but it all worked out well. The dog I chose fits perfectly into my home and lifestyle and they were very through in making sure he would be in the right home before releasing him to me.

He came neutered, up to date on shots, microchiped and wearing a new seresto flea collar worth $60. The higher adoption fee was still much less than the cost to do these things myself.

If I had not wanted this specific dog I probably would have just gone to the local humane society which is how I got my last dog. The process was definitly much eaier and more straighforward than with this rescue group. However I could not be more happy with my boy and he was totally worth all of the agaravation.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,263,235 times
UPDATE
So far... the puppy’s foster dad said he needs another dog in the home and a yard so I can’t have him.
I’m still a little leery about the dog from Arkansas as we may not like each other then what. Plus that’s a lot of stress on him I’m sure being driven halfway across the country by some stranger and having to live in a new home. So I decided against him.
I put in an application tonight for a 3 year old dog from RAL but they can’t tell me his breed and he has a bit of anxiety. Other than that he’s healthy but not trained in anyway. Like he doesn’t respond to commands and isn’t housebroken. But like I said when he comes home (if if he comes home) he’ll be in training camp within a week. And this one I can visit before adoption! And if we like each other I can have him within 7 days or less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs