Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,263,235 times

Advertisements

Ok so 48 hours ago I contacted 2 rescues from a popular adoption website. When I was able to get in touch with a person I was retold (also on site) that the dog is in Arkansas and will be transported with other dogs across the mid Atlantic. He seems perfect but wanted to continue looking because there have to be just as perfect dogs closer to me. So today I contacted and applied for a puppy (that happens to be the same exact mix of dog) from a Petco a few towns over here in Virginia. I briefly texted with someone about my application. I only asked if they adopted to people in Richmond if I come get the puppy because I’m somewhat far. The person texted back that they don’t restrict adoption by distance and asked for my name to look up the application (I’m guessing). Haven’t heard back from anyone since. Should I look for another dog? Was I rejected? Do I need to give them more time? My first dog obviously. Sorry I’m not sure how this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
I only adopt from city/county shelters. They don't charge hardly anything, and they don't require ridiculous qualifications like the rescue operations do. I think most rescue groups are a rip-off. Just my opinion. But, you can get a great dog from your local shelter, or a nearby shelter. They'll test the dog for heartworm, usually, and I even got a free vet check-up coupon when I adopted my dog, plus free microchip and other free goodies. And, they made me feel really appreciated, instead of under some crazy scrutiny like the rescue groups made me feel.

So, look at your local shelters first, is my advice. They'll make you feel appreciated, and they won't charge you an arm and a leg, and you can meet the dog first. They even told me I could return my dog if she didn't work out. And they only charged me around $35, which included the vet check and heartworm test.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:23 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Those Rescues turn folks down for the Most Crazy reasons. When Jetta my last sheltie died I contacted a Pap rescue found the Perfect dog for me. Even talked to the Foster mom long distance. All arrangements were made for Transport from KY to WV [Near VA] & I past the Home Visit got glowing reported from my Vet of 40 years & Letter from my LL. Dog was transported to NC & we agreed to meet the next day in Richmond VA. I call just as I was walking out the door to let them know I was leaving. Was told "Don't bother this dog is Not for you cause you cook for your dog" I asked Well what do you suggest I fed her? ..."Blue Buffalo" & Where do I buy that at only store here sell crap food. They hung up on me I never heard from them again. Tho 2 weeks later the Foster in KY called to ask how the dog was doing. When I told I had no clue they refused to let me have her & why. Few hours later she called back.... The Rescue SOLD the Dog for $1500 3 times what the rescue wanted for her original care cost of $500!!!

As NMS said Go to Your Local Pound there are lots of dogs there needing rescued at reasonable price.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
I'm going to add a few thoughts. First, no way to know about whether or not you were rejected. Don't sweat it. If there was something wrong about your application, they would be upfront about it. It isn't a job interview (or, at least, not quite!).

2nd. Make it a point to meet any dog you want to adopt BEFORE you adopt. Even though we all think about how a dog LOOKS, this is the least important thing we should pay attention to!!!! If all you have is an online photo, it just became the MOST important thing - and that is a mistake, right off the bat.

This is because personality is real, in dogs, just like people. You can be beautiful and still be a ****. Another thing that people often don't pay enough attention to is working instincts. Does your breed preference have strong working instincts? Say you like hounds - they'll want to run and run and run. They can easily turn into escape artists, and when they take off, they may not come back for days, because their instincts are to chase a smell or a critter and keep going with it, wherever it leads. But they are probably easier to deal with than a herding breed, like an Australian Shepherd or Border Collie. THOSE guys typically need a job. If one of them turns into an escape artist, they can rival Houdini for top honors. They will typically return home after a short walkabout though. IF they consider your place home - which they might not for the first few weeks or months.

The dog's personality and traits are the most important thing to consider when looking. You may even have already thought of this, and intend to act on it! But if you are choosing a dog from a picture online, you aren't following through and ACTING on this principle.

You need to meet the dog before you adopt.

Now - rescue vs local shelter. Do you HAVE a local shelter? I agree with Katie and NoSnow that a local shelter is going to be cheaper and a lot easier. Most rescue people are moral and upright, but it IS a business for most rescues, and they DO look to make a profit. If they are shipping dogs from somewhere else, they are looking to make a profit.

Now, I don't have much problem with that. I get it. But it does change the equation.

My second big thought for this post: patience. Practice patience. Diligently. Go to visit rescues and dogs and be prepared to go home empty-handed. DO NOT just fall for the first pretty puppy face you go gaga for. Don't do it. By visiting you will learn a little about dogs, and about dogs in a stressful situation - which a pound or a rescue always is. Some dogs will be fearful with all the stuff going on - too many people - too much strangeness - too many other dogs - etc. But will be fine at home. Also be prepared to force yourself to NOT make a hasty decision because you feel sorry for the dogs. If you visit a local pound, you will almost always get a little heartbroken seeing all those dogs. But don't make a decision just because you feel sorry for them either. You can't save the world - you're just looking for your new best friend.

A local pound is easier to to visit once a week to see what is going on. But most rescues are easy to visit also. A foster home is best, if you can visit them, as the dog will be in a home-like environment.

Again, the most important thing is who the dog is. Does it have a personality you can live with and have fun with? Will it enjoy the level of activity you are going to provide? Are you going to be willing to provide the level of care it needs? (Like grooming, for a long haired dog)

You can't tell all of this from a single meeting, but you can come a lot closer than just picking out a dog from a picture.

Good luck! When you find a good one, they will be your buddy. Quite possibly one of the best buddies you will ever have.

Last edited by hiero2; 09-21-2018 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'm going to add a few thoughts. First, no way to know about whether or not you were rejected. Don't sweat it. If there was something wrong about your application, they would be upfront about it. It isn't a job interview (or, at least, not quite!).

2nd. Make it a point to meet any dog you want to adopt BEFORE you adopt. Even though we all think about how a dog LOOKS, this is the least important thing we should pay attention to!!!! If all you have is an online photo, it just became the MOST important thing - and that is a mistake, right off the bat.

This is because personality is real, in dogs, just like people. You can be beautiful and still be a ****. Another thing that people often don't pay enough attention to is working instincts. Does your breed preference have strong working instincts? Say you like hounds - they'll want to run and run and run. They can easily turn into escape artists, and when they take off, they may not come back for days, because their instincts are to chase a smell or a critter and keep going with it, wherever it leads. But they are probably easier to deal with than a herding breed, like an Australian Shepherd or Border Collie. THOSE guys typically need a job. If one of them turns into an escape artist, they can rival Houdini for top honors. They will typically return home after a short walkabout though. IF they consider your place home - which they might not for the first few weeks or months.

The dog's personality and traits are the most important thing to consider when looking. You may even have already thought of this, and intend to act on it! But if you are choosing a dog from a picture online, you aren't following through and ACTING on this principle.

You need to meet the dog before you adopt.

Now - rescue vs local shelter. Do you HAVE a local shelter? I agree with Katie and NoSnow that a local shelter is going to be cheaper and a lot easier. Most rescue people are moral and upright, but it IS a business for most rescues, and they DO look to make a profit. If they are shipping dogs from somewhere else, they are looking to make a profit.

Now, I don't have much problem with that. I get it. But it does change the equation.

My second big thought for this post: patience. Practice patience. Diligently. Go to visit rescues and dogs and be prepared to go home empty-handed. DO NOT just fall for the first pretty puppy face you go gaga for. Don't do it. By visiting you will learn a little about dogs, and about dogs in a stressful situation - which a pound or a rescue always is. Some dogs will be fearful with all the stuff going on - too many people - too much strangeness - too many other dogs - etc. But will be fine at home. Also be prepared to force yourself to NOT make a hasty decision because you feel sorry for the dogs. If you visit a local pound, you will almost always get a little heartbroken seeing all those dogs. But don't make a decision just because you feel sorry for them either. You can't save the world - you're just looking for your new best friend.

A local pound is easier to to visit once a week to see what is going on. But most rescues are easy to visit also. A foster home is best, if you can visit them, as the dog will be in a home-like environment.

Again, the most important thing is who the dog is. Does it have a personality you can live with and have fun with? Will it enjoy the level of activity you are going to provide? Are you going to be willing to provide the level of care it needs? (Like grooming, for a long haired dog)

You can't tell all of this from a single meeting, but you can come a lot closer than just picking out a dog from a picture.

Good luck! When you find a good one, they will be your buddy. Quite possibly one of the best buddies you will ever have.
Great words of wisdom here! I tell people this all the time, especially where hounds and working dogs are concerned. Adorable and charming as they might be, you need to be prepared to deal with instincts. Want a working breed dog and you don't have livestock? Agility might be a good alternative. Just love hounds? How about doing search and rescue? But if you want a couch potato to hug (nothing wrong with that!) then find one of those. But don't try to turn one into the other. No one's going to be happy.

Thanks for this post hiero2.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 AM

965 posts, read 940,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Ok so 48 hours ago I contacted 2 rescues from a popular adoption website. When I was able to get in touch with a person I was retold (also on site) that the dog is in Arkansas and will be transported with other dogs across the mid Atlantic. He seems perfect but wanted to continue looking because there have to be just as perfect dogs closer to me. So today I contacted and applied for a puppy (that happens to be the same exact mix of dog) from a Petco a few towns over here in Virginia. I briefly texted with someone about my application. I only asked if they adopted to people in Richmond if I come get the puppy because I’m somewhat far. The person texted back that they don’t restrict adoption by distance and asked for my name to look up the application (I’m guessing). Haven’t heard back from anyone since. Should I look for another dog? Was I rejected? Do I need to give them more time? My first dog obviously. Sorry I’m not sure how this works.
48 hours is not too long to wait. You might check back with them Sunday or Monday (just ask if you have been approved, and/or if the dog is still available). Some are very busy, but most will let you know either way.
Even applications are processed by volunteers,and if they are at Petco they may have a large amount of applications, and dogs.
That said, I would suggest that you continue to look for a dog, and give yourself plenty of options. When you meet the dog if it doesn’t click with you, you want to start over again anyway.
What is the breed mix? If it is popular with owners there will always be a long waiting list and since you are a first timer, you may not be rejected, but kept in line for the next (which can take years).

Or volunteer at your nearest shelter, walk dogs, throw a ball, brush them, etc.... and ask to be put on the list for this breed mix (if your heart is set on it).
If you volunteer at least weekly you will go to the head of the line because you have put effort forth, and they will know you.
Now that I think of it, I have heard that Richmond animal league is wonderful, they have a lot of volume, and they would be the best place to start. I would recommend them over a private rescue group.
Buying from a reputable breeder is similar, the dog you want you may have to be very patient for. It seems that you are open to age and sex, so you are ahead of that part

Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
save yourself the trouble of being told you don't qualify , you don't do this or you don't do that and go to your local shelter and find a dog that will be so grateful they will love you over and over again . I found a german shepherd at a shelter a long time ago and she was so grateful and she was one day away from being put down . I had my own little cottage and a great back yard at the time and she was an awesome watch dog as well . some guys tried to steal my bbq off my deck while she was out there idiots ...they thought twice just from her bark . she was also very big 105 lbs . I still miss her to this day and my life has never been the same since I lost her at 14 yrs old that is old for a german shepherd .

Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Unless things have changed drastically, the Montgomery County Ainmal Shelter in Maryland, should be chock full of very nice dogs. They usually have a lot of pet store ""purereds", so they look vaguely like the breed they are supposed to be, but at least they are obviously not pitbull crosses.

If you are in Virginia, that is day trip distance for you to go and take a look.

Oops... just went to look at their Web page and just about everything available is a pitbull. The few who are not pitbulls are senior citizens.

My issue with online " rescues" is that too many of them are puppy mills, pretending to be rescues. Especially if they have puppies and are charging high prices, it makes me suspicious.

Try craigslist. That's not the best place to rehome a pet, but to obtain a pet, you might be able to grab up a nice dog before it is dumped at the shelter. People giving up pets should be worried about where the dog is going. But that isn't an issue for you since you know the dog is going to a good home. Ditto for the local newspaper or pennysaver.

Virginia is at the edge of throwaway dog country. Try shelters to the south of you.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 09-21-2018 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,263,235 times
Both of them are dachshund/ pameranian mixes. As a first time pet owner I was considering putting us in doggie training camp. I read the RAL website and it said if I find a dog that’s compatible we can go home together tonight!

Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Hiero made a great post. Personally I would never want a dog I haven't met.

Even when you go to look at a litter of puppies, you can see they all have different personalities.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs