Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM

757 posts, read 1,331,422 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data. Been a bit of time since I have stopped in. Wanted to share that I have recently started my senior dog, Thora on CBD oil AND started giving her Turmeric Gravy AND I have stopped giving her the Gabapentin that the vet had prescribed for her.

With these changes, she is more active, more playful and acts several years younger.

Does anybody else give their dogs CBD oil or Turmeric?

My dog is about 13 now and is very arthritic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 07:26 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,077,063 times
I used CBD and homemade bone broth and it seemed to help my old dog for a year before she passed. Adding turmeric to the bone broth would have been a good idea.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,823,751 times
I know little to nothing of this turmeric people are speaking of all over lately. I suppose I need to google that. But yes I've had my senior dog on CBD oil since August, so not long really. Hopefully given a bit more time I'll see a change in her activity level and she hopefully won't seem to be in pain with her back leg. She tore her ACL about 6 years ago and the vet thought it not severe enough to do surgery. However here we are 6 years later and it seems to bother her more & more. I massage it each night and give her the CBD oil. I'll report back if it makes any improvement for her.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:57 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,088,086 times
I have heard of people doing this. What brand do you use?

My dog is 10 and being a bigger breed, is also arthritic/achy

Old 09-26-2018, 04:08 PM

8,597 posts, read 11,033,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I know little to nothing of this turmeric people are speaking of all over lately. I suppose I need to google that. But yes I've had my senior dog on CBD oil since August, so not long really. Hopefully given a bit more time I'll see a change in her activity level and she hopefully won't seem to be in pain with her back leg. She tore her ACL about 6 years ago and the vet thought it not severe enough to do surgery. However here we are 6 years later and it seems to bother her more & more. I massage it each night and give her the CBD oil. I'll report back if it makes any improvement for her.
My German Shepherd tore his ACL a few years ago, and with constant care, he healed completely.
During the healing process he got two tablets a day, containing Glucosamine/Chondroltin, and it definitely helped with the healing. (This medication is available at Petsmart)
I still give him these tablets to keep all his joints healthy.
He is ten, and doing just fine.

One thing you need to remember is, even though the ACL may have healed, you still need to refrain form letting the dog jump, or run.
These activities could re-injure the ACL.
No jumping up on furniture, no stair climbing, and if you take your dog in a vehicle, by all means, make sure you have a ramp for it to get in and out of the vehicle.
Along with massage, I suggest you use heat,(15 minutes) if the leg seems sore, or stiff.
If the joint is swollen, use an ice pack for 15 minutes.

As for treating with heat, this is an easy procedure.
Take a facecloth, get it wet, then wring it out so that it is wet, but not dripping.
Place it in the microwave for one minute.
Remove, and place the hot facecloth on a thick towel, and wrap it with the towel.
Get the dog to lie down on the side opposite the injury.
Place the towel between the legs, and constantly keep your hand on the towel to monitor the heat.
You don't want to burn the dog's skin.
This treatment, along with the regiment to make sure the dog did no climbing/jumping, healed him completely in 8 months.
Hope this helps you.

Bob.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:10 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,819,894 times
Have a younger dog, just over 2 years old, has spinal stenosis. Vet meds didn't seem to help. CBD oil seems to help much more, lots of energy, and seems much more mobile

Really hard to say what worked out of the two, because he was on vet meds for a week and we didn't see much improvement, though it could take longer for those to do their job.

Prior to that, tried tumeric and coconut oil

ETA, also been giving him glucosamine supps 2x a day. Maybe that's what's working? We'll keep giving him that indefinitely

Old 09-26-2018, 11:08 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,823,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have heard of people doing this. What brand do you use?

My dog is 10 and being a bigger breed, is also arthritic/achy
I don't buy a brand I buy from a vendor. I know that sounds crazy but on the bottle he simply writes "Patricks 1500"

I use it too. He's on FB

Old 09-27-2018, 12:57 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,928,153 times
Quote:
I know little to nothing of this turmeric people are speaking of all over .
Turmeric is a well known cooking spice in the ginger family. It is used a lot in Asian cooking.

It is also supposed to be a great anti inflammatory for humans, dogs, AND horses.

I have never used it but I have hear of good results regarding dogs and horses.

OP, DH has friend who swears by the CBD oil for his elder, very arthritic dog.

I have given serious thought to trying CBD oil on one of my horses who has a fractured sacrum with a lot of arthritis buildup. My issue is that he is insulin resistant and has foundered --- I don't want to give him something that might tip his insulin level in the wrong direction. Same with the turmeric

Old 09-27-2018, 01:43 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,610,778 times
I just started Dazzle on CBD oil. At 10 he is getting a bit stiff and when he over does it at the beach he spends the evening restless trying to get comfortable and whining when he adjusts his position. Since starting the CBD oil he has stopped being restless and does not whine when he adjusts positions.

I have used cookies with CBD for Chaos when she was having anxiety and they helped her a lot and I still have some but Mr Fussy will not eat the cookies so I got some oil as I can put it directly in his mouth. He does not seem to mind me doing that. I hate the fact he is getting old

Old 09-28-2018, 11:44 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,088,086 times
Quote:
I don't buy a brand I buy from a vendor. I know that sounds crazy but on the bottle he simply writes "Patricks 1500"

I use it too. He's on FB
Ah, lucky That's what I'd like to do but there's nothing/nobody like that near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs