Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:17 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
Can't rep you again but You can tell he's actually quite proud of it and thinks it's funny. No reputable and ethical breeder would let this happen, and if they did, they would be too horrified by their negligence to post publicly about it.
If you cannot 100% guarantee your dog will not be responsible for an "oops litter", you have no business owning an intact dog - NO EXCUSES.
Exactly right. I cannot for the life of me understand why OP thought anything about this was worthy of an LOL, or why he didn't remove his dog from the situation rather than idly watch it happen.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well what You did was Nothing You stood there & Watched them TIE/MATE What YOU Should have done was Call Him Inside!
Wrong again. When I went out they were already tied.

Why all the jumping to a conclusions? All three dogs go outside for a last bathroom break. 10minutes tops. On my property.

No I don’t stand outside and watch them- why would I? That’s ridiculously absurd.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Foxes are naturally diurnal, just being out during the day, nor charing a threat, is remotely evidence of a fox being rabid.

Not remotely the same thing to leave your dog outside as to use a dog for protection for a child.

You certainly aren't legally responsible, but morally responsible will vary from person to person as evidenced here. Not for nothing, but there is no reason to let a dog roam 10 acres at all hours of the night. Dogs are animals who are perfectly content being denned up for the night. Doing so protects your pet and does not cost a "bloody fortune". Bottom line you choose to let your dog roam instead of bringing them in or providing them with a smaller night time pen. Your choice, but again, not necessarily the moral high ground at all.

I don’t need to pen my dogs outside, and I won’t. Frankly I find that rather offensive to pen a breed like a GSP. That’s why I own a chunk of earth AND contain my dogs within those boundaries.

But keep the hits coming.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don’t need to pen my dogs outside, and I won’t. Frankly I find that rather offensive to pen a breed like a GSP. That’s why I own a chunk of earth AND contain my dogs within those boundaries.

But keep the hits coming.
Then don't pen them, as I stated you are not legally obligated to. But you lack the moral high ground if you choose not to and you have a dog you can't control (or are you claiming you were in control when your dog mated with the husky?).

Old 10-04-2018, 02:30 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
You still have a responsibility to make certain that your intact male does not procreate unintentionally! Clearly, you weren't watching him close enough to prevent a mating! While I believe intact animals are healthier, you are a prime example of why I always say MOST owners are not responsible enough to handle an intact dog! This is why we have intrusive laws requiring spay/neuter.
Quote:
But you did do something wrong - you allowed your dog to mate unintentionally. While the bulk of the blame is on the roaming dog's owner, you also share in the fault for not properly managing your (unfortunately) intact dog. Like I said it my first comment, TWO irresponsible owners and as another person said, that's nothing to "LOL" about.
"Allowed?" Its a sentient being. Its like saying "You allowed your kid to crash the car."

The facts of nature are that sometimes, Love Finds A Way. Dogs will dig, climb, and break glass when they want it bad enough.They can literally tie through a fence.

Threerun is no more irresponsible than a motorist that hits a dog that bolts into the highway after a deer or rabbit, or if his dog killed a cat that came into the yard.

What is this world coming to when you're "irresponsible" for leaving your dog in a fenced in yard? It isn't as if the Husky is his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
There is no ‘lol’ about this. You are just another irresponsible owner. Maybe you should walk through a kill shelter in the spring and see all the litters of puppies. Any reason your dog isn’t fixed?
You know what you don't see in Shelters? Labs. GSP's. Huskies. GSP Husky Mixes. Collies, Pomeranians, or poodles or labradoodles or springer spaniels or generic mutty looking dogs. Unless they have wicked temperament issues. Or Puppies in general.

The thing is, that the myth of unadoptable shelter pets is largely a myth. Lets call it what it is: People don't want Pit Bulls, because their apartment complex won't allow it, their insurance won't allow it, the stigma they have, etc...and they attract a demographic that is more likely to be put in a position where they can't take their dog with them when life throws curveballs.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

What is this world coming to when you're "irresponsible" for leaving your dog in a fenced in yard? It isn't as if the Husky is his.
Technically my yard is not physically fenced- there's an invisible fence and the dogs are contained. I've had that same system for 19 years now.

I can understand how some people are upset that a dog may have bred unintentionally, but sometimes I think the voices out there become a little too, umm.. militant and vitriolic in nature.

We had 1 'oops' litter of GSP's, and we had no problems placing them with great homes with mainly people that hunted. They were all here in Montana and fairly local. In fact I'll be hunting with a friend this weekend who has one of them. One of the pups went to a family that had a son that was confined to a wheelchair. It was his companion dog. I should find the video they sent me where that dog walks step-by-lockstep with the young man in the motorized chair.

My point being not every 'oops' litter is destined for the shelter or some other hideous place.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:02 PM

255 posts, read 168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
"Allowed?" Its a sentient being. Its like saying "You allowed your kid to crash the car."

The facts of nature are that sometimes, Love Finds A Way. Dogs will dig, climb, and break glass when they want it bad enough.They can literally tie through a fence.

Threerun is no more irresponsible than a motorist that hits a dog that bolts into the highway after a deer or rabbit, or if his dog killed a cat that came into the yard.

You know what you don't see in Shelters? Labs. GSP's. Huskies. GSP Husky Mixes. Collies, Pomeranians, or poodles or labradoodles or springer spaniels or generic mutty looking dogs. Unless they have wicked temperament issues. Or Puppies in general.

The thing is, that the myth of unadoptable shelter pets is largely a myth. Lets call it what it is: People don't want Pit Bulls, because their apartment complex won't allow it, their insurance won't allow it, the stigma they have, etc...and they attract a demographic that is more likely to be put in a position where they can't take their dog with them when life throws curveballs.
His yard isn't fenced, that's how the ***** was able to come into his yard. So yes, having an intact dog loose in an unsecured yard IS irresponsible. Huskies are not desirable shelter dogs. And people that want Huskies generally want Huskies, not some crazy mix mutt. https://www.petfinder.com/search/dog...tance=Anywhere

Old 10-04-2018, 03:30 PM

255 posts, read 168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I had an oops litter with the two that I intended to breed anyway, just not in that particular cycle. We wound up with a litter on the ground January 01, not in the spring or summer as originally intended. And as stated earlier- where there is a will there is a way. And such was the case. And over half my litter were pre-solds to people that wanted one from my dogs.

And frankly I'm tired of the personal attacks.
Then maybe don't brag and laugh about being irresponsible and letting your dog create more unwanted puppies. I've done a lot of work in dog rescue. I also support and encourage, and refer people to ETHICAL and RESPONSIBLE breeders. I get my own dogs from this kind of breeder. Unfortunately, many people lump breeders like you in with the good ones and are successfully demanding laws that are hurting the ethical breeders and consumers who want WELL BRED dogs. People like you are what's generated the huge rabid hatred of any breeder.

I am not a "fur mommy", I do not refer to my dogs as "fur babies" - they are well trained, know their place in the house, and do not sleep with me or wear clothes. Being a responsible owner does not make one a "fur mommy"! Irresponsible owners like you are why more and more places are enacting mandatory spay/neuter laws meaning everyone has to pay for the actions of a few bad apples. If everyone were responsible with their dogs, we wouldn’t' have these laws dictating what we can and can't do with our own personal property.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
[quote=JONOV;532745

You know what you don't see in Shelters? Labs. GSP's. Huskies. GSP Husky Mixes. Collies, Pomeranians, or poodlesor labradoodles or springer spaniels or generic mutty looking dogs. Unless they have wicked temperament issues. Or Puppies in general.

The thing is, that the myth of unadoptable shelter pets is largely a myth. Lets call it what it is: People don't want Pit Bulls, because their apartment complex won't allow it, their insurance won't allow it, the stigma they have, etc...and they attract a demographic that is more likely to be put in a position where they can't take their dog with them when life throws curveballs.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about Pit Bulls? I used to foster for a rescue and kept tons of puppies, all kinds of breeds. Jack Russell mixes, Dalmatians, labs, GSD’s and Australian shepherd mixes. One of the shelters they got puppies fromnear the reservation and I saw some gorgeous puppies there. I don’t think I ever fostered a Pit Bull puppy.

The fact is there are more dogs and puppies out there, than there are homes for them. To see someone laughing because there will soon be another litter of puppies is disgusting. No, there aren’t fabulous homes just waiting for them. This demographic you speak of is not just for Pit Bulls. I was amazed at how easy people could discard their dogs. Like the man who called the rescue I volunteered at, to give up his expensive purebred Italian greyhound. I was sent to meet him in a parking lot, this man pulled up in a big fancy SUV, the dog bounded over to me wagging his tail, the man got in and drove away without a second look. I have lots of stories like that one and no Pit Bulls..the rescue had a couple, but my experience was with other breeds.

I don’t get where Pit Bulls and the demographic that adopts them has any bearing on this breeder and his situation.

Last edited by Taz22; 10-04-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Then maybe don't brag and laugh about being irresponsible and letting your dog create more unwanted puppies. I've done a lot of work in dog rescue. I also support and encourage, and refer people to ETHICAL and RESPONSIBLE breeders. I get my own dogs from this kind of breeder. Unfortunately, many people lump breeders like you in with the good ones and are successfully demanding laws that are hurting the ethical breeders and consumers who want WELL BRED dogs. People like you are what's generated the huge rabid hatred of any breeder.

I am not a "fur mommy", I do not refer to my dogs as "fur babies" - they are well trained, know their place in the house, and do not sleep with me or wear clothes. Being a responsible owner does not make one a "fur mommy"! Irresponsible owners like you are why more and more places are enacting mandatory spay/neuter laws meaning everyone has to pay for the actions of a few bad apples. If everyone were responsible with their dogs, we wouldn’t' have these laws dictating what we can and can't do with our own personal property.
Where did I 'brag' about anything'? I was merely chuckling about what a mix like that would look like.

However it appears yet again that a certain segment of the dog forum goes berzerko with accusatory and inflammatory language, with no regard for the fact that;

a) I followed the law. My pets ARE contained on my property and;
b) I am not responsible for someone else's inability to follow said 'law' above.

You're applying your personal standard based on your own feelings. Sorry but that's precisely what is occurring.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-04-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.