Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 05:36 PM

538 posts, read 386,780 times

Advertisements

Our 7 year old Boston Terrier has a heart murmur between 2 and 3 is what the dr rates it. It stayed about a 2 since he was diagnosed when he was about 3 years old and recently went up a little. Dr said she isn’t too concerned right now. We did go to a cardiologist but that was 3 years ago and they didn’t think it was anything concerning. He has a very flat face and snorts and has trouble breathing sometimes because of his snout and built like a frenchie (Fluctuates between 19 and 22 lbs) gets short walks but not to much other exercise since we don’t have a yard. Recently we got a puppy and he is crazy....has are Boston terrier sometimes playing for hours. He can keep up but does eventually get wiped out. Is this good for him with a murmur? He does have weight issues on and off so I figure this is good for him but then I also worry it might be too much and it could cause his murmur to worsen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:02 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
You should probably ask your veterinarian this question. But what you should address is: what can you do about it if your vet recommends a more sedentary lifestyle? Personally, if your older guy is having a good time playing with the puppy, I'd let him do so. Not only can it take off weight but it will bring him much more happiness.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:43 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,603,993 times
I too would ask the vet about it. My 7 yr old has a grade 2 murmur which has not changed in the past 6 months and she takes no meds for it. I do give her large doses of Ubiquinol to try to prevent it from progressing and she runs around and goes on long walks and no problems with that, vet ok with it too. Years ago I had a dog with a murmur who took meds for it ( can not remember what grade it was as it was back in the early 1990's) she was 12 and was on restricted activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs