Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 512 times

Advertisements

What shoud I say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:06 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,034,983 times
Hehehehe! Ah, the pups. My current two can be incredible escape artists, when they want. Andy has got down chewing through a leash in about two seconds. At least one of the two, and I don't know which, opened crate doors - from the inside. Maybe they both did - but they were locked in their crates, and then both were found outside their crates. That was back in the rescue, before I had them.

Andy still went through a few leads after I got him. I have several that have been sewn back together. And a couple that are in the sewing bin, waiting to be patched. (I have several leads, acquired over the years, so the two that are sitting and waiting will wait longer. Don't really need 'em.)
Figure out why the pup is uncomfortable with the harness. Deal with the cause. Use positive methods to make pup feel comfortable with that stressor. Andy hasn't let himself free in a couple of years now.

Unless pup is just in the chewing stage of puppyhood. In which case you need to apply puppy methods. Finding something that is appropriate to chew - give that when you catch pup chewing.

Read a GOOD puppy training book - sooner is better. Ian Dunbar's "Before & After You Get Your Puppy", or the Monks of New Skete "The Art of Raising a Puppy".

Old 12-12-2018, 05:05 PM

14,373 posts, read 18,476,774 times
My current foster nipped through her harness in two bites. And a TON of charger and power cords.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,565,006 times
When I adopted an older male dog 20 years ago, I let him ride loose in the back seat of my car, as it was only a very short distance from the rescue location to my house. In that brief trip he chewed totally through the front passenger seat belt. In my state a front passenger seat belt is required to pass the annual inspection. So my car failed the inspection and I had to get a whole new seat belt installed ($400) in order for it to pass that year. Welcome home, dear stressed old boy.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 PM

13,945 posts, read 39,496,974 times
Rub Ben Gay into Any thing You don't want the dog to chew.

Seatbelts ...$400 WOW that's crazy. Mine broke took $10 bucks in a junk yard to replace...including removal from wrecked car & installing in mine. Some one seen you coming.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 AM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
We take the dogs out for a walk daily, and as I was waiting for DH to put on his shoes, Dante had bit almost all of the way threw his leash. I had him on a long lead while I was doing yard work, and low and behold, he was running around free in less than 5 minutes.

Darn those teeth.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,637,644 times
Years ago at agility practice on lady tied her dogs to the trailer instead of bringing a crate. One of her border collies had chewed through a couple leashes to get free so he could run onto the course. She got him a chain and that fixed him running free but he decoded if he could not be free he would set one of her other dogs free and chewed through her other dogs leash and set him free. She finally started crating them like most of us did.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 813,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitgoo View Post
What shoud I say...
You know what a dog can't chew - A COLLAR! But how could your dog chew through a harness without you noticing? I guess I've been "lucky" - I've raised 5 puppies and had many dogs through my door and never had one chew a leash or collar (I have no use for a harness - my dogs aren't sled dogs). I've never had one chew furniture, shoes, seatbelts, or cords either; mainly because I don't provide that opportunity. Your dog isn't "bad", he's just a dog.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:29 AM

13,769 posts, read 12,599,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
You know what a dog can't chew - A COLLAR! But how could your dog chew through a harness without you noticing? I guess I've been "lucky" - I've raised 5 puppies and had many dogs through my door and never had one chew a leash or collar (I have no use for a harness - my dogs aren't sled dogs). I've never had one chew furniture, shoes, seatbelts, or cords either; mainly because I don't provide that opportunity. Your dog isn't "bad", he's just a dog.
Some dogs seem to have a woodchipper in their DNA. You turn your head for 20 seconds and the shoelaces or underwear are destroyed. I had a foster that was like that. Heck, one time he scooted the crate 10 inches to get to a towel and destroyed that.

Last edited by JONOV; 12-17-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 AM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
Or something totally random will happen - Steve is not really a chewer, but he will randomly chew something about once a month. This morning, it was an outside xmas decoration, and he will not touch anything else until February. Dante is a huge chewing machine, but rarely will chew anything he is not supposed to, and we got through puppyhood with very little damage, then, as an adult, he chewed one of DH's boots.... totally out of character.

I can't see getting all judgey about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs