Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,033,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
It's a truism among dog trainers that herding breeds, especially the working herding breeds like Border Collies, tend to react very badly to labradors and similar sporting breeds. It is because herding breeds' work is all about boundaries -- how much pressure to use on livestock to make them move without panicking them, for example. So they are very sensitive to personal space. Guess what, labradors don't HAVE any personal boundaries. They can't figure out why that Aussie is so pissed off, when they're just tryna be best buddies!

Also, a lot has to do with early experiences. A traumatic encounter might sour a dog on that breed for life. And vice versa. I hypothesize without any evidence that because registered breeds are typically extremely inbred, that is they are far more genetically alike than any normal population of dogs, it is easy for a dog to identify that breed -- they might even all smell the same for all I know.

Sounds like Amy and Andy. Since they are ES, not BC, nor Aus, they have a bit more territorial alertness, as well. And they are rescues, so who knows what they went through the first couple of years of their life! So they tend to alert, and then to proceed to let the other dog know they are not a welcome guest. If I had to guess, I think Amy's extreme, maniac responses are mostly to dogs who don't show "proper" deference. Often because they are doing pretty much what you say - trying to be best buddies.

Interestingly enough, that Tervuren I mentioned - didn't do any of that. No approach at all, that I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 19,483,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
It's a truism among dog trainers that herding breeds, especially the working herding breeds like Border Collies, tend to react very badly to labradors and similar sporting breeds. It is because herding breeds' work is all about boundaries -- how much pressure to use on livestock to make them move without panicking them, for example. So they are very sensitive to personal space. Guess what, labradors don't HAVE any personal boundaries. They can't figure out why that Aussie is so pissed off, when they're just tryna be best buddies!
Well, for every truism there are exceptions. I've had cattledogs for decades. Most (but not all) of them got along just fine with the ubiquitous labs and goldens they'd meet in the Pac NW/AK towns we lived in. Smitten in fact, because they could often boss them around without paying a price for it.

One convenient thing I learned about the retriever/cattledog relationship. I could usually satisfy the retriever with an endless cycle of fetch that would bore the cattledog to sobs after a few minutes. However, the cattledog soon realized that instead of chasing a stupid ball, they could herd the retriever on every run. THAT was where the fun lay. Usually the retriever was so intent on fetching they didn't care about being directed. I'd throw the ball for the retriever, forget the cattledog, and leave them to devise their own game. A sort of parasitic relationship that both loved. This game met my goal too...to tire the cattledog out before midnight. The manipulated but satisfied retriever was the tool. Worked like a charm.

One meetup I puzzled over for a long time and still haven't quite figured out. One of my previous cattledogs, a spayed female who was moderately bossy, happened to spot an unknown border collie mix on a public beach at quite a distance. Both dogs were off leash; in this rural small town hardly anyone even knew what a leash was. I always had a leash with me in case we met up with someone my dog had issues with.

The collie wasn't doing anything in particular that I could see but my dog immediately went into a sort of high alert stealth-stalk posture riveted on this distant dog. Once in a while she would do something similar before playing with a dog she knew, but I'd never seen her behave with such intensity before so didn't realize what was coming. She slowly, silently crept up to that dog almost on her knees. At first the collie gave off a neutral friendly vibe, but as my dog approached became completely submissive. Next thing I knew, my dog attacked her. No one was hurt, just a lot of noise, but I still felt terrible for reading the situation wrong.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-24-2019 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 08:02 PM

20,015 posts, read 22,969,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Australian Shepherd obsessed with Siberian Huskies. Fine around other breeds, but barks and nips obsessively with Huskies.
Nope. Never. If a dog is a butthole my dogs sense it, regardless of breed.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 AM

670 posts, read 1,061,814 times
I have a little Italian Greyhound who is obsessed with Boston Terriers, Pugs and French Bull Dogs. She is mostly uninterested in other dogs but when she sees one of these little flat faced pups she always wants to meet them and play. It’s the funniest thing.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,338,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
Australian Shepherd obsessed with Siberian Huskies. Fine around other breeds, but barks and nips obsessively with Huskies.
I used to joke that my last Siberian, Bandit, had a thing for blonds and redheads, because he always tried to hump the Golden Retrievers he saw. He didn't do it with other breeds, and I don't think it was specific to particular dogs. (Meaning, I don't think it was a dominance thing.) He saw a Golden, ANY Golden -- whether that dog was known to him or not -- and immediately rushed up and made a nuisance of himself.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,107,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I used to joke that my last Siberian, Bandit, had a thing for blonds and redheads, because he always tried to hump the Golden Retrievers he saw. He didn't do it with other breeds, and I don't think it was specific to particular dogs. (Meaning, I don't think it was a dominance thing.) He saw a Golden, ANY Golden -- whether that dog was known to him or not -- and immediately rushed up and made a nuisance of himself.
My golden mix loves to hump huskys and labs for some reason. I obviously always stop him but he loves picking on dogs bigger than him.

He does not like German Shepherds though. I don't know why. He can tolerate my friend's shepherd mix but he cannot stand pure bread german shepherds.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,024,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Maybe the overall appearance or scent happens to trigger bad memories. Size, coat type, body proportions, movement. Not specific colors due to a dog's limited vision, but general...solid dark, solid light, etc. Some breeds have oily coats and stronger odors than others.
What the other dog eats could have something to do with it also. It can affect how the dog smells. A friend of mine came to visit and her dog and his poop smelled funny to me. She was feeding him food that had salmon as it's main protein ingredient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs